• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    When using the main search feature, the results are coming back in multiples. Hard to explain so here is a screen shot. It usually doesn't happen on the first page but a few pages in.

CNnvsSD.png

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    thx folks
    let me take a look

Theory: The search function doesn't care about thread titles... it looks for individual posts that have relevance to the search made. So when it sees the search of "pickle" shows up in the "funny pic thread" 100 times... it returns all 100 results... chronologically... but returns them as threads.

It would be ideal if the search function sorted results by relevance over chronological post. If I make a search of "The General Technology Thread" and have to dig down 16 pages to find it because people have said the words "the, general, technology, thread" more recently than the last post in the Tech thread... that's the root of my frustration with it.

The reason this feels "wrong" is... sure, maybe I want to see when someone mentioned the word "trigger" recently. It doesn't help, though, that I'll be given a thread as a result, and then have to do a second search inside that thread to find who said "trigger". The current bug with the search seems like it's trying to make that better... perhaps bringing back every result (hence the multiple repeated entries), but it doesn't link you directly to the result.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Theory: The search function doesn't care about thread titles... it looks for individual posts that have relevance to the search made. So when it sees the search of "pickle" shows up in the "funny pic thread" 100 times... it returns all 100 results... chronologically... but returns them as threads.

It would be ideal if the search function sorted results by relevance over chronological post. If I make a search of "The General Technology Thread" and have to dig down 16 pages to find it because people have said the words "the, general, technology

INGO has a searcH

texkev

Administrator
    Staff member
    Administrator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Sanger
    thx for that feedback
    I turned on the Threadloom system it is supposed to be far more detailed, custom and so on. The company worked hard on making it functionally far more superior than to what was there prior.

It would be ideal if the search function sorted results by relevance over chronological post. If I make a search of "The General Technology Thread" and have to dig down 16 pages to find it because people have said the words "the, general, technology, thread" more recently than the last post in the Tech thread... that's the root of my frustration with it.

The reason this feels "wrong" is... sure, maybe I want to see when someone mentioned the word "trigger" recently. It doesn't help, though, that I'll be given a thread as a result, and then have to do a second search inside that thread to find who said "trigger". The current bug with the search seems like it's trying to make that better... perhaps bringing back every result (hence the multiple repeated entries), but it doesn't link you directly to the result.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    thx for that feedback
    I turned on the Threadloom system it is supposed to be far more detailed, custom and so on. The company worked hard on making it functionally far more superior than to what was there prior.

This might be way more useful. Thanks

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    thx for that feedback

Interesting. Looks like it's configured to prioritize thread titles, then posts.

I like it so far.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    thx for that feedback

I posted about this in the "Search Function" thread, but Threadloom seems to be broken. None of the links on the search pages work (even the sorting tools), just take you back to the main forum page.

Top Bottom