Join INGunOwners For Free

User Info Menu

"Retrieve titles from external links" - Is this working properly?

I've noticed a lot more links lately just don't fetch the page headline/title anymore. I've gotten used to manually putting it in for all my posts... but there was a time that it did work maybe half the time.

Would this be an INGO vbulletin issue, or an issue with the sites being posted?

I've even seen it fail to fetch immediately... then make an edit and preview again, only for it to finally fetch it. Maybe it isn't given enough time to get it?

User Info Menu

I just assumed it was an issue with the page we were referencing...some would do it and some would not allow it.

INGOer #18,319

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GodFearinGunTotin View Post
    I just assumed it was an issue with the page we were referencing...some would do it and some would not allow it.

Yeah, I don't always post mainstream sites... but then when I do post stuff from big sources like CNN, AP, etc... still nothin'
    Let that be my contrarian reply...

I Care...Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GPIA7R View Post
    Yeah, I don't always post mainstream sites... but then when I do post stuff from big sources like CNN, AP, etc... still nothin'
    Have you tried this on any other sites. I am not sure it would be on our end.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

let me run some tests on this.
    INGO Classified Ad Rules
    INGO Forum Rules
    Click here to become an INGO
    Click here if you are interested in advertising

User Info Menu

Just a followup, I noticed this has gotten "worse" too. (It truly isn't a big deal.) Probably 3/5 of my links would auto-grab the title before, but I don't think any of them do now. Maybe 1/10.
    Resident Warning Shot Statist.

User Info Menu

Offering whatever observation I can

The delay between hitting reply to a thread, and being taken to the result is near instant. But in cases where parsing the title works, it does have a slight delay while it fetches it.

Oddly, the only links I find it working sometimes on are archive links. Mainstream sources just breeze right through like it's not even trying.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

In that post, I put two links, and hit submit. The top was an archive.is version of the bottom. The top succeeded, the bottom failed.

It's very weird that this: http://archive.is/vgrsq parses better than the real thing.