Photos, Are You Accidentally Posting Where You Live Or Work?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    When viewing the classifieds I often see something interesting and can't enlarge the pic like I want to see detail, so I save the photo on my I-device and look at it in the photos gallery.

I have noticed that several pics show me the street where the pic was taken, now if you don't care if everyone that looks at your pic knows where you live or work, no biggie. If you do care and did not know this was happening, turn off location services for your camera. I guess you could take your gun for sale pics at MickeyD's but I would think they would frown on that. LOL

MM

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Back when Photobucket was way way way more user friendly, you could get the EXIF information pretty easily from those photos. PB didn't strip that info upon upload. I let more than one INGOer know that I (and others) could determine their EXACT house from the photos. Those I contacted were appreciative - and changed the settings on their smart phone cameras for future photos.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    You can also right click the photo (on a Windows PC) and go into properties and select to make a copy of the photo without the metadata details and then post that copy.

That way you don't have to turn off the metadata tagging that your phone does for photos where you may want to use that data later.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    If it’s from your iDevice, simply go to settings, privacy, location services and turn off camera. It won’t track location anymore.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If it’s from your iDevice, simply go to settings, privacy, location services and turn off camera. It won’t track location anymore.

I have been noticing that when the device updates that many of my settings turning off location services are turned back on. My phones now have the red warning balloons on the main screen because I chose not to set up Apple Pay, as if not doing so, was something wrong.

I like the phones but users are losing more and more control of the devices.

MM

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom