OK to say "I'll take it" in Classifieds?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have mistakenly answered a Classified with a reply instead of using the pm, either by being in a hurry and not thinking or having multiple tabs up to INGO and not realizing, especially if someone has made a comment and I forget that it is an ad, and I join in on the comments.

It's rare, since I'm trying to be on my best behavior and not make stupid mistakes therefore drawing negative attention to myself.

I do notice that some will reply to an ad with, "I'll take it," and I don't know whether that's is winked at, or whether they get a reprimand.
    I have been tempted to do it but refrain (unless unintentionally) and just reply with a pm as per the rules.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Per the rules:

7. Keep comments related to the ad directly and no ad bashing! ex. "Your price is crazy high. What a POS, etc." We also don't want to know if you think it's a great price, a nice gun, etc. Because ads move so quickly, the staff are having to spend huge amounts of time deleting irrelevant posts in threads to keep them from bumping early. Please keep all comments DIRECTLY related to the sale of the item in question. To clarify this, we mean an offer to buy/trade, notice of PM, questions about the specific item, etc. If an ad states WTS then do not ask if they will trade. If the ad states WTT do not ask if they have a cash price.

ANY OTHER COMMENTS WHATSOEVER are off-limits and belong in their own thread in one of the other forums. ABSOLUTELY NO "Free bumps!" It's up to the thread starter to bump his/her own ad and the rules clearly state ONE bump every 24 hours. Do NOT ask in the forum to see pictures. Your continued access to the Classified Forums hinges on your ability to follow this simple rule!

So yes, "I'll take it" is allowed.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Per the rules:
    So yes, "I'll take it" is allowed.

"Please keep all comments DIRECTLY related to the sale of the item in question. To clarify this, we mean an offer to buy/trade, notice of PM, questions about the specific item, etc."

So, comments like these below are NOT permissible:
    a. "I'll take it"
    b. "pm in route"

But, these questions would be of general interest and doable:
    c. which caliber is this?
    d. which model is this?

Edited: I was rereading this thread and noticed I had originally reversed the comments that I meant to be OK & which not OK & worded it as I meant.

Last edited:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    "Please keep all comments DIRECTLY related to the sale of the item in question. To clarify this, we mean an offer to buy/trade, notice of PM, questions about the specific item, etc."

So, the "DIRECTLY related to the sale of the item" means:
    a. "I'll take it"
    b. "pm in route"

But, these questions might be questionable:
    c. which caliber is this?
    d. which model is this?

No. All of those things are acceptable.

Some things that are NOT acceptable:
    "cool gun, wish I could afford it"
    "I had one like that once, nice shooter"
    "Wish you were closer"

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    No. All of those things are acceptable.

Some things that are NOT acceptable:
    "cool gun, wish I could afford it"
    "I had one like that once, nice shooter"
    "Wish you were closer"

:thumbsup: Appreciate the detail.
    I don't want an infraction over a technicality since I am trying desperately to be "infraction-free" by paying to attention to detail.
    I had to chuckle, over, "wish I could afford it," or "wish you were closer."

I have often wanted to say, "I'll take it," in case the seller is at work or can't answer for hours.
    When I worked, it was a hassle to respond to others sometimes b/c my cell's reception was laborious & the work cmp screened out INGO most of the time.

I've noticed some have even responded after someone has said, "I'll take it," with "seconds" :)

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'd say it is very much appreciated not to bump the ad with things that could be answered in PM or the OP receives the PM and then updates the original post. Though within the rules, I personally can't stand the "I'll take it" or "PM sent" in my own classified ads or when running through them. It gives a false impression that the item is somehow spoken for, when in actuality until the OP decides the item is spoke for and updates the original post with that, it is not spoken for. And I personally think that is generally the motive when someone posts I'll take it. (Again, not a mod so not up to me)

The worst is when someone posts "I'll take it" then wants to negotiate some low ball offer, etc.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If someone posts”I’ll take it” then doesn’t do so at the listed price, they should be infracted if not banned.

I’ve seen complaints about the questions on caliber, model, age, etc. is it the seller that shouldn't respond in another post but edit the original post that draws the mod ire?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If someone posts”I’ll take it” then doesn’t do so at the listed price, they should be infracted if not banned.

I’ve seen complaints about the questions on caliber, model, age, etc. is it the seller that shouldn't respond in another post but edit the original post that draws the mod ire?

Way back in the early mod days I had a few PM's from members about ads that were being accepted.....PM's sent and the seller messing around looking to up the price. So I accepted the price with an in thread and a PM only to have the response say there were 2 others ahead of me and what would I offer him for it. He seemed t gloss over the Moderator badge in my avatar. He also is no longer on Ingo.

I had the pleasure of meeting him at one of the 1500's. Fenway was there with me in the booth and go to see the full on mouse response.

Good days man. Good days indeed.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Way back in the early mod days I had a few PM's from members about ads that were being accepted.....PM's sent and the seller messing around looking to up the price. So I accepted the price with an in thread and a PM only to have the response say there were 2 others ahead of me and what would I offer him for it. He seemed t gloss over the Moderator badge in my avatar. He also is no longer on Ingo.

I had the pleasure of meeting him at one of the 1500's. Fenway was there with me in the booth and go to see the full on mouse response.

Good days man. Good days indeed.

I’m guessing he didn’t get a cheeseburger?

Probably more like a knuckle sandwich?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd say it is very much appreciated not to bump the ad with things that could be answered in PM or the OP receives the PM and then updates the original post. Though within the rules, I personally can't stand the "I'll take it" or "PM sent" in my own classified ads or when running through them. It gives a false impression that the item is somehow spoken for, when in actuality until the OP decides the item is spoke for and updates the original post with that, it is not spoken for. And I personally think that is generally the motive when someone posts I'll take it. (Again, not a mod so not up to me)...

^^^^^ This right here! ^^^^^

Rules or no rules, it ain't cool to bump an add to the top when it could be handled via PM and stay in line, where the add should be.

The seller will take your "I'll take it" via PM (or not take your claim to the item) the same as they would if you "called dibs" bumping the add to the top of the page.

:twocents:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'd say it is very much appreciated not to bump the ad with things that could be answered in PM or the OP receives the PM and then updates the original post. Though within the rules, I personally can't stand the "I'll take it" or "PM sent" in my own classified ads or when running through them. It gives a false impression that the item is somehow spoken for, when in actuality until the OP decides the item is spoke for and updates the original post with that, it is not spoken for. And I personally think that is generally the motive when someone posts I'll take it. (Again, not a mod so not up to me)

The worst is when someone posts "I'll take it" then wants to negotiate some low ball offer, etc.

I totally agree with you. :thumbsup:
    That is what I've done in either updating my post b/c I have left out something germane after a pm question, or someone has updated an ad after I pm them asking pertinent questions that weren't put in the ad. It happens, even in my "too-long" ads answering all anticipated questions besides God's plan of salvation. :lmfao:

As to the "I'll take it" and then pm dickering about the price: that would really hack me off. :nono:
    I have told people who have done that to me (Armslist) when we meet, then they start in on the price.
    Once I just laughed at them, and another time, since it was a younger guy, I educated him about the time to negotiate was before the meeting.
    I told them I nearly just turned around and got in my car and drive away when he started asking about price.
    I'm sure an Uncle or older brother told him that was the way to drive a hard bargain b/c people wouldn't walk away. Try me: I don't need the money, I just love to sell guns! :rockwoot:

My prices reflect what I pay and I am a bargain hunter, and I have told people, "Good luck in finding this gun at your price b/c I'd by 5 more of them at that price if I was trying to make money instead of just a fun hobby."

In the past when dealing with Armslist people and I have a fair price (below what I see others selling), and they lowball me $150 on a modestly price gun, I once came back with a counter offer of however much they lowballed me and add that to the original price (legally, a counter offer negates the original offer), or once I remember just raising the price by $25.
    It ls a fun way of telling someone where to go and what to do when they get there. :laugh:

When a gun doesn't sell the 1st weekend on INGO, I'll put it on Armslist & I'll always get the outlandish: I have cash & meet you............ (like there is another way of paying :dunno:), and then offer something stupid.
    This has nothing to do with normal negotiations that we all do to find the "real" price and just by asking we can save $25-$50, or not.
    I am selling a $475 revolver & a guy offered $400, which was w/i reason and I just told him I'd keep it at $400 to play with some more: I was not offended.
    I have had guns listed for $110, and would not come down to $100 b/c I knew it was worth $125.
    I've told people to check the ad in a couple of weeks, if it hasn't sold I'll be lowering the price $25.
    It always sells before that, although lately it has been humbling and I've actually had to lose $25, even $50 on a gun to sell it b/c things are slower now.
    But, that's OK, I'm just spoiled being able to sell guns for what I pay for them since I buy usually when it is a bargain, but if I had fun with the gun, I don't mind losing a little.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    ^^^^^ This right here! ^^^^^

Rules or no rules, it ain't cool to bump an add to the top when it could be handled via PM and stay in line, where the add should be.

The seller will take your "I'll take it" (or not) the same as they would if you "called dibs" bumping the add to the top of the page.

:twocents:

Just marking territory.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    :) How many thousand times have we classifieds followers seen CM "yelling" at folks for bumping adds with silly questions?

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    If the question is relevant to everyone looking then I think it's okay to 'bump' that into the thread. If they don't mention things like caliber, location or what not everyone interested wants to know; like VUPDblue said in post #4.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If the question is relevant to everyone looking then I think it's okay to 'bump' that into the thread. If they don't mention things like caliber, location or what not everyone interested wants to know; like VUPDblue said in post #4.

^^THIS^^^^^^

Relevance to the item up for sale/trade then yes we allow it.

It still irritates me to see "PM" sent as we all know what this is.
    Then you get seconds etc especially f it is a deal.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I had a guy get snotty with me, the buyer, on an item one time because I DIDN'T post an "I'll take it". His reasoning was that I didn't call dibs therefore it was still available. Never mind property and money exchanged hands a day and a half before his "dibs"!:laugh:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had a guy get snotty with me, the buyer, on an item one time because I DIDN'T post an "I'll take it". His reasoning was that I didn't call dibs therefore it was still available. Never mind property and money exchanged hands a day and a half before his "dibs"!:laugh:

Then the ad was not closed right away and the seller was at fault.....Just saying....:):

Top Bottom