• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I keep running into the message that I must spread some reputation around before I can rep a member again. At the minimum I would love to know what the "Reputation User Spread" is set at in the software so I have an idea what it takes to rep a member again. Whatever it is set at seems to be seems to be to low because we have so many posts per week that users indicate they want to rep but cannot.

I get why there is a limit as the manual explains.

• Reputation User Spread
      This setting dictates how many unique members that a user must rate before they are able to rate the same member twice. The goal of this setting is to stop a member from either artificially bumping or dropping a user by repeatedly rating their posts.

I certainly do not try to rep the same members all the time but wish I could a little more often and wanted to ask if we could look into what it is set at and discuss what would be equitable.

Thanks Admin and Mods...

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I can answer your latter question. When you rep someone, you can give them some number of points. You select the points at the time when you are repping someone. These add up over time and increases their own reputation and rep power as their score increases. You start with one point rep power. I don't know exactly how the scale increases, but currently I'm just over 600 points and can now rep someone for up to 8 points. This is also reflected in the green pips below your name/title in posts. You have 2 pips which is less than my current 6 pips and so have less rep power right now.

The rep system has been abused and reset a couple of times now. It is more a way of showing your support and appreciation for a post than any serious measurement system. It is best not to get too hung up on it.

Edit: I tried to rep your last question as an example, but couldn't rep you again. :)

Edit #2: You can see your current rep points and rep power on your UserCP page.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I can answer your latter question. When you rep someone, you can give them some number of points. You select the points at the time when you are repping someone. These add up over time and increases their own reputation and rep power as their score increases. You start with one point rep power. I don't know exactly how the scale increases, but currently I'm just over 600 points and can now rep someone for up to 8 points. This is also reflected in the green pips below your name/title in posts. You have 2 pips which is less than my current 6 pips and so have less rep power right now.

The rep system has been abused and reset a couple of times now. It is more a way of showing your support and appreciation for a post than any serious measurement system. It is best not to get too hung up on it.

Edit: I tried to rep your last question as an example, but couldn't rep you again. :)

Edit #2: You can see your current rep points and rep power on your UserCP page.

Thanks for the post. I understood most of that but was hoping I could find out what the thresholds were to get more power and the reset to give again. vBulletin says power is a combination of join date, rep received, rep given, and post count.

I had not known there had been problems in the past here concerning rep. But humans can screw anything up. LOL

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Yup. There was at least one "rep pyramid" thread. Users would rep the previous X posts and then post "I'm out for the day". That allowed the group to build up huge rep numbers without posting anything significant. Not allowed anymore and it led to at least one of the rep resets.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Or to put it another way:
    Drew Carey said:
    Welcome to Whose Line is it Anyway, the show where everything's made up and the points don't matter.

[video=youtube;1gl__LLKMIs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gl__LLKMIs[/video]

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    People used to be able to give a badge with just one rep. It was fun while it lasted.

Lol, back in the day I could completely max a brand new member’s rep meter (full gold, silver, and bronze badges) with a single rep. It was amusing, but obviously completely meaningless.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Bump this back up. Maybe there are some knobs to adjust this reputation system? :dunno:

In these recent days, there are FAR more worthy posts and discussions going on...
    Plenty of folks being hit with both recipient & daily limits.

I know, first world problems right?
    Just a thought :ingo:

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Bump this back up. Maybe there are some knobs to adjust this reputation system? :dunno:

In these recent days, there are FAR more worthy posts and discussions going on...
    Plenty of folks being hit with both recipient & daily limits.

I know, first world problems right?
    Just a thought :ingo:

Agree!!!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Some of my other forums have a Like button instead. I kind of like that better I think.

I remember back when INGO was going through one of its upgrades, someone turned that feature on (by accident I think). I kind of liked it.

Top Bottom