• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How should the Politics subforum be reorganized?

• Total voters

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    How do you think this site can function better in terms of our Politics, Laws, 2A forum. We get a lot of complaints in there.

What if we were to break the Politics forum into 2 different forums

The Second Amendment / RKBA

Local / National Politics and Legislation

Or what if we were to do away with Local / National Politics and Legislation discussion altogether and limit it to 2A/RKBA. I see a lot of gun boards to it this way to eliminate all the trouble.

Your thoughts please :ingo:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Oh man. If there was a way to exclude it from the search today's posts feature I'd be ecstatic. It seems like most of the tinfoil hat, government conspiracy, other religion bashing, gay hating crowd post in there and wading through all of those takes a lot of time. I see some folks who pretty much only post there and we rarely see them outside it, and they rarely post gun related stuff. Barring that, making it an RKBA issues only forum and taking other politics out of the mix would make my experience more enjoyable. I'd even become a paid member, not that my paltry few dollars would be that big an incentive. My $.02, I come to gun groups to read about gun related issues, maybe some outdoors/survival stuff, not politician bashing, bizarre rants about incomprehensible topics, or sheer flaming idiocy.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Oh man. If there was a way to exclude it from the search today's posts feature I'd be ecstatic.
    Double-click the new posts icon (the INGO image to the left of the forum name) on the home page, and it will make all new posts in that forum marked as read. Then click the New Posts link. Voila. :)

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I come to gun groups to read about gun related issues, maybe some outdoors/survival stuff, not politician bashing, bizarre rants about incomprehensible topics, or sheer flaming idiocy.
    ... or union bashing, health care, in-laws, out-laws, or sister in-laws...

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I'd vote for this option:
    What if we were to break the Politics forum into 2 different forums

I differ from shibumiseeker. I think that this website should still provide a place to discuss these topics. I haven't seen a "statement of intent" or "mission statement" or anything like that on INGO (possible that it exists and I just missed it), but based on the site's name, it is my understanding this website is a place for Indiana's gun owners to come together and talk, mostly about guns but about other things too.

I do think it is a good thing to maintain a place to discuss those other issues. I haven't been very active on the politics/laws/2A forum, but I like having the option. It provides a place for me to learn about local and state issues from the perspective of fellow gun owners with whom I'm likely to share values, goals, and political views.

Separating the forums out into 2 like you suggested, Fenway, allows a user to browse and/or search the specific forum of interest to him, which addresses one of the concerns shibumiseeker mentioned while still providing a place for Indiana's gun owners to discuss the other topics.

Besides, removing the dedicated forums would likely just push those topics into the general forums or the break room. Having the dedicated one lets you ignore them more easily if you don't want to see them.

:twocents: from a glad Site Supporter.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Unlike shibumiseeker I think the gun culture and certain politics are closely bound (no offense). As a gun owner I'm concerned with issues that affect gun ownership. I enjoy that section of this forum and often find it both entertaining and informative, not to mention a good place to vent with others of a like mind (sometimes not so alike).

I also see how spiting into two sections could be beneficial. So I vote for two separate forums:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Politic - local, national, and political - all affect how our right to keep and bear arms is interpreted.

Granted, sometimes people get off-topic (I know for a fact I have), but I still think it's useful enough to keep around.

If 'Women and Firearms,' a vague topic if I ever heard one, merits its own sub-forum, why not something as vital as the laws and politics concerning "gun rights"?

Also, having a section for it generally keeps it contained to one sub-forum of the site, and from spilling over into other somewhat-related sub-forums. (For instance, a woman not being allowed to carry somewhere due to local zoning regulations... it would more accurately fit into politics, laws, and second amendment, but due to the vagueries of the other section, could fit there as well.)

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I can understand separating it, but I definitely like the discussion in other areas. Also, there's lots of crossover between issues. You might likely encounter difficulties with staying on topic. Not being a moderator, are the problems that bad? I suggest that one of the things our society needs right now are better communication skills when we disagree. This is a good place to practice. It's possible to disagree passionately, and still be respectful. The political forum provides numerous examples of respectful and disrespectful disagreement, and most people can tell the difference.

I think it would be a shame to do away with the non gun political section.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Split it if you want but keep it intact.
    As gun owners we need to keep abreast of all things political, not just those items that pertain to the 2nd Amendment. As a community we are affected by the decisions of our elected officials. Having these discussions educates members and allows them to voice their support or concerns to their elected officials.
    I don't understand what kind of complaints you are receiving.
    If folks don't like the subject matter in a thread, they can choose not to read it.
    Don't limit our ability to discuss topics just because someone else doesn't like it.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    I come here more for the politics sub than for anything else. Most of my gun related questions go to make/type specific forums ( AR15, TheAKforum, Sigforum) When I come to InGo I what to know about Indiana, or just talk to people from Indiana.

We aren't the ACLU and I don't feel that we should be picking specific freedoms to protect. Being as this is a gun board there will be much more agreement of Pro2A stances, so that actually decreases the amount of conversation. However when we start talking about other political issues that is when we get debate. There will be no disagreement of opposing a weapons ban, only discussion on how to oppose it. However when the issue of drug legalization comes up, we can have a debate over the merits of protecting personal choice or protecting the children.

One thing I would like to see is more state centered political issues. I like hearing what other guys from here have to say and see their stances. But I would really love to see people getting active with local and state politics. I think that we could accomplish allot of good by banding together in that way. There is much work to be done in the land of fire arms regulation is this State and that is right up our alley, but there doesn't seem to be allot of interest for that on this site.

I think that so far you guys have done a really good job with the Politics subforum. Most of the regulars understand that there will be blood in there, and you guys only step in when we get out of hand. We all know that taboo issues and try to keep threads from going there, but sometimes it does happen.

I wouldn't mind that Politics forum going to member or requested only. That would help to keep out the trolls and drive bye's.

In the end though this is your court, so you make the rules. What ever you guys decide to do you will be supported.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    INGO is as a excellent gun forum with a lot of useful information and a great member base. It is in my opinion not a forum for politics. Firearms related legislation of course belongs to the gun board but I really don't see the need to discuss all other local or national issue on this board. Keep in mind the audience on this board is likely often biased towards one side and we want it to be open community and not trying to scare people way. Now I understand some of you may disagree with that, so if there is a strong demand create its own section for it and keep firearms legislation and 2nd Amend. separate. All the people I have met and chatted with from this site have been great, friendly and knowledgable people but I am also sure not all of them share the same political believes. Free speech is important and part of the fundation of this open and free society but it shouldn't be taken advantage of to offend people. Keep the forum primarily a gun forum, it provides an outstanding service to IN firearms owners and enthusiasts in that regard. Just my :twocents:

Go :ingo:

And thanks to Fenway and the mods for being so helpful and for asking for our opinions.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I would prefer the split. My interests are in the 2nd Amendment posts, and I think it is important to keep the information out there for all members who choose to read it.
    I try to avoid the rants on health care, unions, education, etc. and the split would make it easier. :twocents:

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    I think eliminating that portion of INGO would be a great idea. This is a hobbyist site and I would prefer to see the discussions limited more closely to the sport. Any time you bring politics or religion into a discussion you run the risk of polarizing a group. At the very least I would tightly regulate that forum to DIRECTLY linked issues.

scheesman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Indy
    All you need to know is in the tag cloud on the main page. If this is a gun forum, why are the majority of the most popular tags politics? There's not even a single tag (that I saw) for Glock, Springfield, Colt, or any manufacturer. Not for a particular model either. But Islam made it on there. And so did Glenn Beck. I'm sure if you look at the post statistics, you'll see a heavy slant towards posts in the politics section as well. Even if you stay out of the politics sub-forum, you still have to deal with it with all of the political avatars and signatures. This has turned in to a political site that happens to cover firearms in my opinion... ;)

Top Bottom