• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I would like clarification about the title above.
    I could have just pmmed a moderator but I'm afraid I'll be beaten:bat: if I bother him anymore (all humor intended). :laugh:
    I have read the rules about the same :rules: and have gotten slapped :stickpoke:, rightfullly so, for posting info on a "for sale" thread in the classifieds.
    But, I understand that when I do the 24 hour "bump" I can write as much as I like instead of just the word, "bump," or some other code (TTL).
    I have been told this but I'm insecure and afraid for another violation if I make another mistake in my stupidity of application of rule-keeping. :wallbash:

Also, I have gotten into trouble for starting a thread processing about the selling of a gun/guns, which is not allowed and I had no idea. :dunno:
    It is OK to ask/process about buying a gun and asking anything, but when selling there are limits (which I want to comply with, b/c despite of my infractions, it was ignorance, and I am a rule-keeper, despite my performance here on this site. :scratch:

For example:
    a. I have the above question about processing as much as I want every 24 hrs. in the "bump" in the Classifieds (I want verification that is OK so I don't get banned :dunno:).
    b. After you sell a gun, is it OK to have a thread about selling it (I love the storyline/people part of it)?
    I know I can't run a thread about selling a gun during the time of the sale (double-dipping, trying to get around the ban about posting in the Classifieds, of which I am guilty: I thought I'd found a "legal" loophole = WRONG! :ugh:

Please have mercy on me in my quest to find the boundaries that are acceptable.
    I have thought of refraining my incessant posting just to avoid any other issues/infractions.
    I have soooo much fun here, learning here (a newb since last May), and feel like I've made some friends, which is a treat when you get to be old :fogey: and so many of your old friends have moved and you don't like any of your new friends much. :lol2: (I just can't help myself with my dry eclectic outlier humor, which gets lost in print: which would explain why I don't have any new friends (there I go again!!! :dunno:).

And, let me add, I have been treated with mercy and grace with instructions and warnings (along with the occasional infraction) in my "floundering" on the site, and I appreciate the patience I've been shown.
    I realize my "open" style of communicating is an acquired taste, with my humor and long way of saying the most simple of things.

Got to get ready for church now where I can openly confess my sins and repent, even been thinking of getting re-baptized to make sure I'm accepted by God and and country and INGO. (really dry humor for the religious :rofl:)

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I believe you're making life way to complicated. I've been a member since early 2009 and have done quite a few classified deals in that time span without nary an issue. It's really not that difficult as some try to make it out to be. Personally I don't do threads about my classified deals. I just do them and move on. With that being said I would also add that I have met quite a few Ingo members that have been great people to interact with.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I believe you're making life way to complicated. I've been a member since early 2009 and have done quite a few classified deals in that time span without nary an issue. It's really not that difficult as some try to make it out to be. Personally I don't do threads about my classified deals. I just do them and move on. With that being said I would also add that I have met quite a few Ingo members that have been great people to interact with.

This was his issues. Posting in the ads and bumping. Open conversation in other ads bumping them. PM's are available for this purpose.
    As to the threads about his ads..........:faint:

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    doddg, You aren't the only one with these types of questions. From what I read, as a potential purchaser, I'm not supposed to post, ask questions, or comment in anyway about the sale. I'm supposed to contact the seller via PM and keep everything out of sight. I know it isn't my forum, and not my rules, but it does seem to be a bit strange to have prohibitions on discussions about a specific firearm in any forum. Likewise, as a seller, it seems there are many rules on how to post, how often I can come back to it, hot to paste images, etc. Although I got to 50 posts through a concerted effort simply to be able to get into the classifieds, afterwards, with the confusion of what is correct and what isn't I simply haven't bothered to post anything for sale.

I do appreciate that with the exuberance that the moderators exhibit in controlling things, the forum doesn't devolve into a pit of flaming and off-topic posts, so I'm not complaining, just pointing out there are others with similar thoughts and confustions as yourself.

--Rick

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    doddg, You aren't the only one with these types of questions. From what I read, as a potential purchaser, I'm not supposed to post, ask questions, or comment in anyway about the sale. I'm supposed to contact the seller via PM and keep everything out of sight. I know it isn't my forum, and not my rules, but it does seem to be a bit strange to have prohibitions on discussions about a specific firearm in any forum. Likewise, as a seller, it seems there are many rules on how to post, how often I can come back to it, hot to paste images, etc. Although I got to 50 posts through a concerted effort simply to be able to get into the classifieds, afterwards, with the confusion of what is correct and what isn't I simply haven't bothered to post anything for sale.

I do appreciate that with the exuberance that the moderators exhibit in controlling things, the forum doesn't devolve into a pit of flaming and off-topic posts, so I'm not complaining, just pointing out there are others with similar thoughts and confustions as yourself.

--Rick
    Before they had these rules, you had other people constantly bumping certain people's sales threads with comments like, "great gun", "great guy to deal with", "free bump", etc. So certain groups of guys seem to always have their sales ad at the top of the list. The people that were respectful of others, had their threads artificially depressed. So as usual, we end up with these dumb rules because people do dumb things.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    My observation, based on being relative newcomer as opposed to KG1, would be one thread per topic. Overlapping the selling a firearm in multiple Topics, while good for your exposure, clutters up the site with quasi-duplicate threads.

You may feel the desire to opine about a transaction but that's best done after the sale or maybe while you are thinking about selling if you are looking for legimite input (but guessing that's going to be a grey area) . "Thinking about selling my S&W 1911s for SA 1911s" - might be a good one. Posting in the Handgun forum "Selling my S&W 1911 for a SA 1911 $1500 - What do you think?" is, IMHO, is a classified ad. Maybe a Mod will correct my observation but that's how I see it.

The result of allowing cross posting would be that every classified would be duplicated in multi topics and would bump non-duplicate threads off of the first page and, potentially, reduce site traffic. Who wants to see the same thread ten times? Even more importantly, if the Mods don't quash selling posts outside of the classifieds you would see the Topic turn in to commercial ads galore. I've read that the Classifieds are, at best, a secondary purpose this site and not its its primary mission statement and I am just fine with that.

Personally, I MUCH APPRECIATE the close moderation of this site. Keeps it civil (mostly), on-topic and professional.

Now, if I was a Mod, I would be asking you why you posted this in the General Firearms topic and not the Front Desk?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Folks........our biggest work load as staff is in the classifieds. The disregard for the very "SIMPLE" rules muddy's it up in there.
    Every rule we have taken the time to put together is done for good reason and a lot of thought/discussion goes into it that you all do not see.
    We have discussed many "New" rules that are not put into play as we have enough issues with the short "SIMPLE" list we already have.

Yes Pics can be an issue. But the answers and process has been openly discussed many many times. If you are an active member you will see this. Answers are easily found here. Ask any question and it will be answered. If you are having troubles shoot me or any staff member a PM and we will help. Seriously. I/we would as soon help you over a hurdle as to give an infraction. Members are constantly posting ads with no pics (small percentage) and when warned/infracted come off with some really off the wall things. If you can not get a pic in the ad do not post it. Hit me up or any other staff and we will guide you best we can.
    This is the absolute best description of the process I am aware of......
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...estions/446735-posting-photos-imgur-ingo.html
    And in this I will only say if I can post up a pic with my weak Google-Fu anybody can. It is not that hard.

The bumping thing has been explained. Members use the new post list usually. If your ad keeps coming to the top it gets undue time at the top. PM the seller and ask any questions. The PM sent thing irritates the crap out of me. Just send the danged PM and stop bumping/marking territory. It is borderline.

Close the ad when you are done with it. Rule #8. Just do the housekeeping. Easy peasy. Admin. function on top of the ad. Do not bump it to close.

If you find the rules to stringent then just stay out of the classifieds. Easy peasy. Complaining they are to hard is just ridiculous. I got dinged a few times learning the ins and outs. The Mod was a good friend and he whacked my butt. I think he actually enjoyed it. I do not enjoy it. Unless you are a douche smart alec with your responses.

Now.......this goes to the front desk where it belongs.....:(

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    This was his issues. Posting in the ads and bumping. Open conversation in other ads bumping them. PM's are available for this purpose.
    As to the threads about his ads..........:faint:
    This is also why I always include a friendly reminder in my ads for any potential buyers " Please do not post in the ad thread. Kindly submit all inquiries and or offers to buy via PM as to avoid any unnecessary thread bumps per forum rules." Pretty simple stuff.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is also why I always include a friendly reminder in my ads for any potential buyers " Please do not post in the ad thread. Kindly submit all inquiries and or offers to buy via PM as to avoid any unnecessary thread bumps per forum rules." Pretty simple stuff.

Yes. I see this all the time and yet people (some) still ignore.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I didn't read all that because it's honestly not that complicated.

I want to post something about my firearm in a "for sale" thread.

Has it been more than 24 hours: I can post and bump.
    Has it been less than 24 hours: I can *still* add the information via EDITING THE ORIGINAL POST.

If I'm a buyer and have a question:
    Send a PM.

Simple.

As for the OP and his gun day trader blog, why not just start ONE thread on the topic instead of a topic per gun? The people who are interested in following your buy/sell/swap activity can post in that ONE thread and the forum isn't cluttered up with a thread for every single transaction you made, thought about making, might make, have considering considering making, etc.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    As for the OP and his gun day trader blog, why not just start ONE thread on the topic instead of a topic per gun? The people who are interested in following your buy/sell/swap activity can post in that ONE thread and the forum isn't cluttered up with a thread for every single transaction you made, thought about making, might make, have considering considering making, etc.

Couldn't rep you again currently. Now that, is an excellent idea. Would also keep OP from having to retype everything he has ever typed in another thread back into a new thread. A doddg running diary. Then the ATF agents watching him could keep up with it in one simple place (:tinfoil:). Not unlike Kirk has going about the LPD following him (just kidding about Kirk as I do feel bad for what he is going through). The interested could then subscribe to the doddg diary and get notifications when it was updated.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Sometimes simple is hard. Just like the 3rd grade. :)

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Might be worthwhile to condense the "SIMPLE" rules and regulations into a simpler list.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...classifieds-you-must-read-before-posting.html

Post 1. 10 rules, several of which are pretty basic common sense items (post in the right area, don't sell illegal things...) There's even a template. Is anything in your compilation not included?

Below is a template you can use to place your ad:
    WHAT:
    DESCRIPTION: (caliber, mags, ammo, scratches, etc)
    PRICE:
    TRADES:

Put pictures here

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Post 1. 10 rules, several of which are pretty basic common sense items (post in the right area, don't sell illegal things...) There's even a template. Is anything in your compilation not included?
    Yes, there are several Levitical laws posted in those other stickies that are not present in Fenway's Ten Commandments.

That said, if a single post is enough to communicate everything people need to know, maybe that one post should be the only sticky thread.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My observation, based on being relative newcomer as opposed to KG1, would be one thread per topic. Overlapping the selling a firearm in multiple Topics, while good for your exposure, clutters up the site with quasi-duplicate threads.

You may feel the desire to opine about a transaction but that's best done after the sale or maybe while you are thinking about selling if you are looking for legimite input (but guessing that's going to be a grey area) . "Thinking about selling my S&W 1911s for SA 1911s" - might be a good one. Posting in the Handgun forum "Selling my S&W 1911 for a SA 1911 $1500 - What do you think?" is, IMHO, is a classified ad. Maybe a Mod will correct my observation but that's how I see it.

The result of allowing cross posting would be that every classified would be duplicated in multi topics and would bump non-duplicate threads off of the first page and, potentially, reduce site traffic. Who wants to see the same thread ten times? Even more importantly, if the Mods don't quash selling posts outside of the classifieds you would see the Topic turn in to commercial ads galore. I've read that the Classifieds are, at best, a secondary purpose this site and not its its primary mission statement and I am just fine with that.

Personally, I MUCH APPRECIATE the close moderation of this site. Keeps it civil (mostly), on-topic and professional.

Now, if I was a Mod, I would be asking you why you posted this in the General Firearms topic and not the Front Desk?

1. I looked for a place to put this, and there was "nothing" in the Front Desk, so I assumed it wasn't where anyone posted.

Top Bottom