Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

Need evidence to win a discussion

There is an incredibly offensive discussion on a parenting board my wife frequents. The title of the thread is "Do you let your children play in homes with guns?"

A gun-scared mom would like to see statistics that shows that children who are raised around guns and properly taught have fewer accidents than those children who do not have guns in the home and are not allowed to play in homes with guns. She believes that if there are not guns in the home, the children will be safer. My wife's point is that if children grow up with guns and learn to respect them, should they find one on the street or elsewhere, they will ultimately be safer in the long run.

Does anyone know of any such a study or information that shows that properly instructed children are safer than those with no gun instruction and no guns in the home?

User Info Menu

This is what happens when you leave yourself signed onto INGO... your wife posts stuff as you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by revance View Post
    This is what happens when you leave yourself signed onto INGO... your wife posts stuff as you.
    It's a good discussion topic, though. This question has come up before... there has to be statistics somewhere.

*wanders off to look*
    Epilepsy is underfunded and under-researched, but seizures kill more people than breast cancer does each year.

Have a question? Check out the INGO FAQ: http://ingunowners.com/forums/genera...qs_sticky.html

User Info Menu

Well, I'm not a parent, but I would like think that lying to or hiding things from children never makes them safer. A good angle would be to ask the antagonist about how she feels about sex education and drug awareness. If she thinks these things make her child less safe, then there isn't a lot you can say.....

In any circumstance, knowledge is power, for a child or an adult.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

User Info Menu

go to Gun Facts - Gun Control | Facts | Debunk | Myths

Quote Originally Posted by GunFacts.info
    Myth: Children should be kept away from guns for
    their own safety
    Fact: 0% of children that get guns from
    their parents commit gun-related crimes
    while 21% of those that get them illegally
    do.[254]
    Fact: Children that acquire firearms
    illegally are twice as likely to commit street
    crimes (24%) than are those given a firearm
    by their parents (14%).[255]
    Fact: Almost three times as many children
    (41%) take drugs if they also obtain
    firearms illegally, as compared to children
    given a firearm by their parents (13%).
    Fact: In the 1950’s, children routinely
    played cops and robbers, had toy guns, were
    given BB rifles and small caliber hunting
    rifles before puberty. Yet the homicide rate
    in the 1950’s was almost half of that in the
    1980’s.[256]

254 Urban Delinquency and Substance Abuse ,U.S. Justice Department, 2000
    255 Ibid
    256 Vital Statistics ,National Center for Health Statistics, , Revised July, 1999
    Epilepsy is underfunded and under-researched, but seizures kill more people than breast cancer does each year.

Have a question? Check out the INGO FAQ: http://ingunowners.com/forums/genera...qs_sticky.html

User Info Menu

I have to agree with former President Clinton, I believe we MUST keep guns out of the hands of our children.

Everytime they come to the range to compete, they hand my butt to me.

This has got to stop....

Back to the original question, all normal healthy children want to shoot. Why would we deny that desire? Between 4H, JROTC, CMP, ISRPA,Grandparents, and Appleseed, there are plenty of safe venues for children to learn to shoot.

Was that the original question? Anyway my answer is that all children should be prepared for the path of the Rifleman.
    Last edited by sloughfoot; 08-02-2010 at 21:25.

User Info Menu

I have seen a study using a hidden camera allowing two sets of young children to find guns at different times. One set of children were exposed to guns beforehand and educated about handling (not touching) then alerting an adult. The other set of children had never touched a gun. The evidence strongly supported that the first set of children had a better chance of surviving. The second set of children ended up reacting to the found firearm as forbidden fruit (I can't remember if they used Glocks or not..) and playing..aiming at other children and yes pulling triggers etc. It was a very good documentary. The time frame between showing proper handing and the "set-up" to find the hidden firearm was a a week or so...

Does anybody else recall this documentary?
    I'm off on a hunt...
    Crazy people rule us all - Jon Stewart

User Info Menu

Not exactly what you're looking for but try here:

Two Things My Kids Know About Guns | The Survival Mom

And here:

NRA - Safety Information for Parents
    BS: The smell is the tell.

User Info Menu

I had a strange conversation with an anti-gun NUT telling me that my chances of shooting myself or a family member with my secure firearm is sky-high, since I carry and own several .....

I told him it's all about "risk management", we do it all the time, all of us, every day of our lives.....

Example : if I NEVER get into a car, or any vehicle, and avoid being near them, my chances of becoming run over, or a car-related injury or death from a vehicle is near zero.....duh...

Then I expressed my opine that we can't live scared all of the time just because bad things can happen, but we try to limit these fears by being vigilant and careful....he was not listening, of course, and I knew he would not.....yeah....

I am out...

Shooter

User Info Menu

irresponsible people will be poor parents doesn't matter if they are gun owners or not.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast