• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    There is an incredibly offensive discussion on a parenting board my wife frequents. The title of the thread is "Do you let your children play in homes with guns?"

A gun-scared mom would like to see statistics that shows that children who are raised around guns and properly taught have fewer accidents than those children who do not have guns in the home and are not allowed to play in homes with guns. She believes that if there are not guns in the home, the children will be safer. My wife's point is that if children grow up with guns and learn to respect them, should they find one on the street or elsewhere, they will ultimately be safer in the long run.

Does anyone know of any such a study or information that shows that properly instructed children are safer than those with no gun instruction and no guns in the home?

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    Well, I'm not a parent, but I would like think that lying to or hiding things from children never makes them safer. A good angle would be to ask the antagonist about how she feels about sex education and drug awareness. If she thinks these things make her child less safe, then there isn't a lot you can say.....

In any circumstance, knowledge is power, for a child or an adult.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    go to Gun Facts - Gun Control | Facts | Debunk | Myths

GunFacts.info said:
    Myth: Children should be kept away from guns for
    their own safety
    Fact: 0% of children that get guns from
    their parents commit gun-related crimes
    while 21% of those that get them illegally
    do.[254]
    Fact: Children that acquire firearms
    illegally are twice as likely to commit street
    crimes (24%) than are those given a firearm
    by their parents (14%).[255]
    Fact: Almost three times as many children
    (41%) take drugs if they also obtain
    firearms illegally, as compared to children
    given a firearm by their parents (13%).
    Fact: In the 1950’s, children routinely
    played cops and robbers, had toy guns, were
    given BB rifles and small caliber hunting
    rifles before puberty. Yet the homicide rate
    in the 1950’s was almost half of that in the
    1980’s.[256]

254 Urban Delinquency and Substance Abuse ,U.S. Justice Department, 2000
    255 Ibid
    256 Vital Statistics ,National Center for Health Statistics, , Revised July, 1999

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have to agree with former President Clinton, I believe we MUST keep guns out of the hands of our children.

Everytime they come to the range to compete, they hand my butt to me.

This has got to stop....

Back to the original question, all normal healthy children want to shoot. Why would we deny that desire? Between 4H, JROTC, CMP, ISRPA,Grandparents, and Appleseed, there are plenty of safe venues for children to learn to shoot.

Was that the original question? Anyway my answer is that all children should be prepared for the path of the Rifleman.

Last edited:

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    I have seen a study using a hidden camera allowing two sets of young children to find guns at different times. One set of children were exposed to guns beforehand and educated about handling (not touching) then alerting an adult. The other set of children had never touched a gun. The evidence strongly supported that the first set of children had a better chance of surviving. The second set of children ended up reacting to the found firearm as forbidden fruit (I can't remember if they used Glocks or not..) and playing..aiming at other children and yes pulling triggers etc. It was a very good documentary. The time frame between showing proper handing and the "set-up" to find the hidden firearm was a a week or so...

Does anybody else recall this documentary?
    I'm off on a hunt...

ThePope

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Fort Wayne,In
    I had a strange conversation with an anti-gun NUT telling me that my chances of shooting myself or a family member with my secure firearm is sky-high, since I carry and own several .....

I told him it's all about "risk management", we do it all the time, all of us, every day of our lives.....

Example : if I NEVER get into a car, or any vehicle, and avoid being near them, my chances of becoming run over, or a car-related injury or death from a vehicle is near zero.....duh...

Then I expressed my opine that we can't live scared all of the time just because bad things can happen, but we try to limit these fears by being vigilant and careful....he was not listening, of course, and I knew he would not.....yeah....

I am out...:cool:

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    It is important to teach your kids gun safety

There is NO benefit of not teaching your children about gun safety. If you don't talk to them about guns and handling guns are a dangerous mystery to learn about through trial and error...

Still hunting for supportive data but came across the following article.

The importance of teaching your kids gun safety

CHATTANOOGA (WRCB)-- There are obvious ways to keep your children safe when you store guns in the home such as keeping them locked and removing bullets. But gun advocates say education is important too.
    Mark Haskins told us first of all he by no means wants to point fingers in this case but hopes his safety tips will hit home for someone who has an unlocked gun at home and maybe down the road prevent a tragedy like this.
    "Safety is number one. You treat every gun as if it's loaded," says Haskins.
    Mark Haskins is a Chattanooga Police Officer but also a firearms instructor. He teaches Tennessee's handgun permit class and has a few ways of driving home the point of safety.
    "Let's be honest, how many people here in the USA mess around with their parent's guns? And every class will have one or two hands and I usually say 'there are some liars in here',"says Haskins.
    Haskins says gun owners need a plan and it starts with realizing kids are curious about guns. He says it's impossible to hide a gun or keep it out of reach.
    "They find it, if they know it's there, they'll find em,"says Haskins.
    But with a lock, a case or even a small safe, no one's getting to the gun without a key. And for those who worry about the reaction time, Haskins has an answer.
    "If I put a lock on it, 20 to 30 seconds it takes to get it off. Well, let's balance. What's the reality of a home invasion verses the reality of your child finding the gun in the home? Your child's there 24/7," says Haskins.
    Instructors give books to give parents on educate their kids. The idea is to teach kids about gun safety and "Eddie the Eagle" is spreading the word.
    "If they find something and think it is a gun, stop, don't touch it and get an adult," says Haskins.
    Haskins says unfortunately with children it's like teaching them to look before they cross a street. They don't always remember that lesson. There's no standing program in the schools about gun safety and in the State of Tennessee the handgun permit class is not a required course for a gun owner.

The importance of teaching your kids gun safety - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

cyberwild360

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    I agree with teaching kids about gun safety but a lot does have to ride on the individual kid as well. Some kids are just more mature than other kids.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I agree with teaching kids about gun safety but a lot does have to ride on the individual kid as well. Some kids are just more mature than other kids.

my kids are 5 and 6. they have been around guns their whole life. If a handgun is laying on the kitchen table they wouldnt even notice it as they walked by.

They are far from mature, but they know that they are not to touch guns unless I tell them its ok.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    A tragic example of all of this happened in Indianapolis a couple of days ago. A mother leaves a loaded hand gun on the living room table. A four year old picks it up and shoots a three year old, killing her. No common sense, no thoughts about children. The police found drugs in the home. Homicide by stupidity.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    A tragic example of all of this happened in Indianapolis a couple of days ago. A mother leaves a loaded hand gun on the living room table. A four year old picks it up and shoots a three year old, killing her. No common sense, no thoughts about children. The police found drugs in the home. Homicide by stupidity.

I feel bad for the people who love that little 3 year old and the 3 year old itself.

Me being a fairly new Father myself and being raised around guns as my son will be, the story you tell sounds to me like Darwinism at work......

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I think it would be hard to find the statistics you are looking for. People don't report," Oh my kids didn't kill anyone with my guns this year". They only report the unfortunate events that may happen.

You mightbe able to find how many households are estimated to hold guns, then find an estimate as to what percentage of households house children, then find information as to how many households with children had unfortunate gun incidents, then crunch those numbers to find what you're looking for.

The simple fact remains though, guns are inanimate objects.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    another question you could ask everyone on here what they did when they were kids???
    I was raised with guns in the house and they were left unlocked all the time...my siblings and i always knew not to touch them unless my dad said it was okay...or we would get our a** wooped!!!!! assuming everyone on this board has been raised with guns and they are still here to type...

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I'll check my files to see if I may have anything that can help, but remember most of this research is carried out and funded by "anti-gun" organizations and academics so most of the studies I have looked at have not been designed to look at this particular outcome which would not be beneficial to their hypothesis.

Top Bottom