• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Howdy folks I have a buddy who wants to buy one of my rifles, however he lives in Illinois & I want to make absolutely certain that we follow the laws on an Indiana resident selling to an Illinois resident.

Can anyone tell me what the proper procedure for doing this would be?

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I wouldn't do it on a bet...too many different local laws. However if he says it is legal for him to own and if you do sell to him make sure you get a copy of his FOID card and ID for your records.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Does this mean I take the rifle to a local FFL, pay them a fee & then they ship it to an Illinois FFL for my buddy to pick up?

Yes, you will have to pay a FFL fee and a fee to ship it ( overnight I think ) because the ATF will not allow firearms to be in transit more than day ( maybe two ).

A fairly common fee is ~$35, this is how I'd handle it; personally. When he picks the rifle up, the gun shop will run his background just like he were buying a new gun; this covers both of you from all angles.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Yes, you will have to pay a FFL fee and a fee to ship it ( overnight I think ) because the ATF will not allow firearms to be in transit more than day ( maybe two ).

A fairly common fee is ~$35, this is how I'd handle it; personally. When he picks the rifle up, the gun shop will run his background just like he were buying a new gun; this covers both of you from all angles.

Thanks for clearing up the process for me Misconfig.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010

Uh, no.

You can mail a rifle in the regular mail. You can use whatever service you want. The ATF doesn't care how long your gun is in transit. Who told you that?

It is a violation of federal law to engage in interstate commerce of firearms without an FFL. Therefore, you cannot sell any firearm to a resident of another state without a license.

Take it to an FFL and do the transfer. The FFL can be in Indiana or Illinois.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Between the states, it MUST go through an FFL.

In the case of neighboring states, it can go through an FFL in either state.

It MIGHT be the case that an FFL within IN will not transfer a firearm to a resident of IL either out of policy to avoid confusion or out of ignorance.

You CAN ship it yourself to an FFL in IL, provided that FFL will accept shipments from an individual. Some do, some don't. I do believe that the law allows us non-FFL folks to ship long guns through the USPS. If it were me, however, and I had to ship, I'd choose a common carrier.

Or you can drive your long-gun to Illinois and meet your buddy at an FFL and do the transfer that way.

-J-

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010

Or you can drive your long-gun to Illinois and meet your buddy at an FFL and do the transfer that way.

-J-

But he still won't be able to leave with it, because Illinois requires a 24 hour waiting period. On a private sale, the waiting period starts when you agree on a price, but most FFLs won't honor this in Illinois.

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    The cheapest way is you can get a copy of the IL FFL for your records and ship your long gun to the FFL in IL with a copy of your IN ID for his record. Your buddy can then do his transfer from that dealer. Call that dealer to make sure that firearm is transferable to him in that area. Go to ATF's EZ FFL check to make sure their license is still valid. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    The cheapest way is you can get a copy of the IL FFL for your records and ship your long gun to the FFL in IL with a copy of your IN ID for his record. Your buddy can then do his transfer from that dealer. Note, The long gun can not have a pistol grip or folding stock, then it is considered a handgun. Also, Call that dealer to make sure that firearm is transferable to him in that area. Go to ATF's EZ FFL check to make sure their license is still valid. Hope this helps.

LOL it actually has both a pistol grip & a folding stock! (it's a Yugoslavian M70AB2).

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    wow, so much misinformation in this thread.

I would appreciate it if you would take a bit of time & clarify any misinformation that you can find Clay, I really do not want to mistakenly run afoul of the law, in fact I would rather just not sell him my rifle if I am even remotely uncertain of what the legal requirements are.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    that right there makes a hell of a difference!!

I was going to say just listen to Indy_guy_77....... but the whole chicago thing throws that right out the window. They are so screwed up, all bets are off.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Just have an FFL do the transfer one way or the other. It is required by the Gun Control Act of 1968 anyway.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    You cannot sell a weapon to a resident of another state unless you have an FFL.

Most Indiana FFLs will not sell to an Illinois resident because if they do not precisely follow Illinois state and local laws their license and freedom is at jeopardy.

IF you are going to effect a transfer mail it to an Illinois FFL.

If for some reason your friend cannot take delivery of the weapon, the FFL make keep and sell it without any compensation back to you.

If it were me I would explain to my friend that I can't do the deal. Too many bad things happen mixing guns, Illinois, and Chicago in the same drink.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Use a FFL here to send to one in IL

Play it safe and use your FFL to ship it to another FFL in Illinois and CYA. In most situations an individual can ship a firearm out of state to an FFL if the FFL will accept it. The law allows for it but some FFL's will only accept from another FFL; I don't understand it but that is personal choice.

Top Bottom