Question about buying rifles from the CMP.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    So I was reading through the CMP website about purchasing a rifle, and I saw the qualifications needed to buy from them. I noticed you had to be affiliated with a club that deals with marksmanship ect. But this part caught my eye.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

- Current or past military service.
    - Current or past law enforcement service
    - Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
    - Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
    - Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
    - Concealed Carry License.
    - Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training.
    - FFL or C&R license.
    - Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
    - Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

So does that mean by having a LTCH I would be exempt from having to be a part of any type of club to buy a rifle? Or would I still need to meet all the other eligibility requirements or have a C&R to be able to buy a gun from the CMP?

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    If you have your LTCH that meets a requirement, but you still need club affiliation.
    If you go to N. Store in Ohio, you can sign up for that there. They have GCA for 25.00 a year, an another one from MI for around 15.00 that meets that requirment. I used my handgun permit, GCA membership card, birth certificate, an took my military discharge when I went to N. Store...I don't think they needed the discharge papers though, I had enough...

Contact GCA (Garand Collectors Association) at The Garand Collectors Association

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Of note, if you've been to an Appleseed, that also qualifies as your marksmanship clinic requirement and you can join the RWVA for $20/yr at the same time. We can't help you with paying for the rifle or the ammo, however. ;)

Blessings,
    Bill

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    I signed up for the Garand Collectors Association and sent in a copy of my "LTCH"...Received the rifle today so the LTCH is definitely A-OK.

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you have your LTCH that meets a requirement, but you still need club affiliation.
    If you go to N. Store in Ohio, you can sign up for that there. They have GCA for 25.00 a year, an another one from MI for around 15.00 that meets that requirment. I used my handgun permit, GCA membership card, birth certificate, an took my military discharge when I went to N. Store...I don't think they needed the discharge papers though, I had enough...

Contact GCA (Garand Collectors Association) at The Garand Collectors Association

Simply having been in the military is sufficient. You didn't need to join any other organization.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Simply having been in the military is sufficient. You didn't need to join any other organization.

No, my understanding is that having been in the military meets your eligibility requirements for "Marksmanship or Other firearm related activity." You then need to be eligible by being a member of a "CMP Affiliated Organization"

Or, you can be a member of one of the following :

These special affiliates include: Congressionally chartered veterans' organizations such as the VFW, AL, DAV, MCL, etc. U.S. Military services (active or reserves), National Guard, to include retirees. Professional 501(c)3 law enforcement organizations and associations such as the FOP, NAPO, NSA, etc.

Being simply a veteran doesn't meet that eligibility unless there is something I am missing.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    No, my understanding is that having been in the military meets your eligibility requirements for "Marksmanship or Other firearm related activity." You then need to be eligible by being a member of a "CMP Affiliated Organization"

Or, you can be a member of one of the following :

Being simply a veteran doesn't meet that eligibility unless there is something I am missing.

Your not missing anything, I believe if your active military that can take care of one requirement...but you need club affiliation no matter what to go with it.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Here is another affliate club option: M14flra.org created off of the M14tfl forums. If you are more into M14 style rifles than Garands....

And yes, the military service record only satisfies one requirement so you still need to join a club.... affliated club and have that membership on file at the CMP.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Of note, if you've been to an Appleseed, that also qualifies as your marksmanship clinic requirement and you can join the RWVA for $20/yr at the same time. We can't help you with paying for the rifle or the ammo, however. ;)

Blessings,
    Bill

+1 for Appleseed and RWVA. They are doing something constructive with the memberships...Teaching marksmanship to a new generation.:patriot::ingo:

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    If you are a vet and belong to American Legion or V F W that satisfies 2 requirements. Also if you are past 60 that eniminates a bunch of them.

Mortarman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2019
    New haven
    Sorry I am trying to sort out the correct answer .. I am wondering what ranges AROUND fort Wayne not just in fort Wayne . Can qualify you for CMP ?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Holy necropost! :):

Not sure what you're asking. If you have a LTCH, that counts as your shooting activity requirement. After that, join the Garand Collector's Association for 25 bucks a year (and you get 4 magazines a year) and you're good to go. GCA will even notify the CMP that you've joined if you mark a check box on your application.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside

Blessings,
    Bill

Isn’t Appleseed attendance/membership an annual requirement. I did several Appleseed events in 2014 and 2015. Those wouldn’t qualify me would they?

Matt

Sorry, didn’t think to look at IP date.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Sorry I am trying to sort out the correct answer .. I am wondering what ranges AROUND fort Wayne not just in fort Wayne . Can qualify you for CMP ?

I am not familiar with Fort Wayne, but many if not most ranges / conservation clubs do maintain CMP association. Simple matter to phone them or check their web site to find out. Unless you actually want to join a range, it it far cheaper to join the Garand collectors association!

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Your not missing anything, I believe if your active military that can take care of one requirement...but you need club affiliation no matter what to go with it.

Unless something has changed since I purchased from the CMP about 8 years ago. My being a member of the Air Force reserves and showing my military ID at the North store. Met all the requirement's. Because as a reservist I qualify with a weapon yearly ( meets the requirement for shooting in a sanctioned match). Being in the military met the requirement for "club affiliation" That is how they explained it to me 8 years ago. Maybe it has changed??

Top Bottom