Page 79 of 82 FirstFirst ... 29 69 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Steve ***Phone Number Hidden*** (See Rules for more info)a1e8e&p=6908580#post6908580" rel="nofollow">View Post
    You can find a decent custom in your price range if you are patient. Another source is to diligently check https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/487/1

Every now and then you will find a nice rifle in your price range on that site, but you absolutely have to act fast. They don't last long in that price range if it is well done.

Dirty Steve

What is a "swamped" barrel?
    NRA Instructor/Dormant U.S.Marine/ NRA Benefactor-Life

Quote Originally Posted by Mgderf ***Phone Number Hidden*** (See Rules for more info)a1e8e&p=6912872#post6912872" rel="nofollow">View Post
    What is a "swamped" barrel?
    slightly tapered, so it doesn't feel as front heavy.

Marksman
    A swamped barrel has an hourglass shape like a fine woman......wide at the breach, tapered in the middle and flaring back out at the muzzle. It shaves unnecessary weight off the barrel and improves balance. Looks sexy too.

Dirty Steve

Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Steve ***Phone Number Hidden*** (See Rules for more info)a1e8e&p=6915803#post6915803" rel="nofollow">View Post
    A swamped barrel has an hourglass shape like a fine woman......wide at the breach, tapered in the middle and flaring back out at the muzzle. It shaves unnecessary weight off the barrel and improves balance. Looks sexy too.

Dirty Steve
    I guess you spend a lot of time with your guns ..

***Phone Number Hidden*** (See Rules for more info)a1e8e&attachmentid=52355&d=***Phone Number Hidden*** (See Rules for more info)" title="Name: swamped barrels.jpg Views: 7 Size: 80.0 KB">swamped barrels.jpg

I just realized that I never got around to posting up the pics of my Northwest trade musket that I finished a year ago. NOt the best of pictures but it's all I've got right now. Not perfect, but the originals weren't either. 20 gauge, 42" octagon to round barrel, walnut stock. I consider this to be a work in progress and as my skills improve I will improve this cool musket. Next build is just starting and it's going to be a .58 Hawken.

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." Voltaire

Grandmaster
    Nice, I've been thinking about doing my first build and the consensus is that a Trade Musket is the best for one's first build. Hope my turn out well as yours.

Quote Originally Posted by singlesix ***Phone Number Hidden*** (See Rules for more info)a1e8e&p=6918832#post6918832" rel="nofollow">View Post
    Nice, I've been thinking about doing my first build and the consensus is that a Trade Musket is the best for one's first build. Hope my turn out well as yours.
    Yes, I would tend to agree. I ruined the LOP on my first rifle attempt, while trying to do the butt plate. So I regrouped and tried this trade musket. It's all really straight forward and in this case does not have to be prefect looking to be correct. I have come to the conclusion that I wish more "kits" were offered with the lock area not inlet. Not a lot of maneuver room when trying to get the lock and barrel in correct when both are pre-inlet. I plan on doing another trade musket down the road, just because they are rather cool and very historic, especially out west. I think there is even one that has provenance to use in our Revolution.

Just getting into shooting as a hobby since buying my first SD gun. Always loved the Black Powder shoots when I was in scouts, and thought I might look into it now that my kids are grown.

I saw a 'ready to shoot' starter kit at RK for about 230 and thought that might be a good starting point, then wondered where I would go to shoot it.

What's the policy on BP at most ranges? and has anyone with experience seen those starter kits?
    Because a holster full of prevention is better than than headstone

Most ranges have no problem with BP so long as you follow all the other rule. And as far as those starter kits go, after getting used to copies of real stuff, I'd almost rather use them as fence posts. But I do understand the whole cost thing. My very first build many years ago was a CVA "Hawken". It shot OK but it wasn't close to nice. Nicer kits start around $800 and require lots of hand work, cheap kits much less and it's slap together and go have fun.

I'm older now and have more patience than I used to.

Page 79 of 82 FirstFirst ... 29 69 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 LastLast