• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    It's come to the mods' attention that there may be enough demand to warrant the creation of a new subforum for muzzle loaders/black powder firearms. We don't want to create a new area for every specific type of gun out there because it would quickly devolve and make things harder to find rather than easier, however if there is enough demand for it, it's possible. So.... This is where we'll start, with a "sticky" thread. We'll give it a period of time and see how much activity there is and how much demand truly exists for such a forum.

Note that there is no poll. We're not asking to see if you think you'd use it. This is a discussion thread, so.... DISCUSS! :) What discussions will we be moving to this forum if/when you convince us by the numbers and content that the need is there?

I look forward to seeing what discussions will arise.

Ready? Annnnnnnd..... Go!

Blessings,
    Bill

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    mid summer you see no blackpowder questions or issues. right now we are flooded with them. i dont think it warrents a subforum but its not a big deal if you folks decide it does

oldbikelvr

Marksman
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    This is a great start! I got my start with black powder in the late seventies/early eighties going to primitive rendezvous with my uncle "Fire in the Face". I still have a quite a bit of my gear from back then, though much of it would be more suitable for my son. I have a CVA Mountain Rifle/pistol set in .45 caliber. I definitely prefer traditional muzzleloaders to the modern inlines. I don't shoot them nearly as much as I would like, but I am planning on joining Riley CC soon, so hopefully that will change. I am always looking for a source for real black powder if anyone knows one. ;) Thanks, Brett

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Awesome idea. Ive got a CVA hawken and a Frontier Wolf. Love 'em both, but really want to try out an Accura. Also a pair of traditions confederate navy pistols in .36 and .44. Fun, but more curiosities than anything else.

Ryninger

Expert
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    Blackhorn 209

Indy area guys... I'm looking into switching to loose, specifically Black Horn 209. Now that season is over I can start over in working up a load. Where abouts have you seen it? The only local place I have seen is The Outdoorsman in Greenwood, and it's pricey there.

Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    The Bullet Trap in Roanne carries black powder.

I like the idea of a little area for black powder discussions. It's a fairly technical subject like reloading and there is a lot of good knowledge on the subject that's just floating around in shooter's heads.

Ryninger

Expert
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    Who's got a source for Goex? I need a couple of pounds of 2F.

Powder Valley, Inc.

I love the outdoorsman but they are pricey... If I buy 2 20oz containers of BH209 and pay the 25 hazard fee for shipping, it is still cheaper than 2 20oz containers from the outdoorsman.... When I buy powder I either order alot for me, or get a couple of guys together and do a group order and split up the hazard shipping fee...

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Jan 14, 2010
    Glad to see this BP option! I shoot/reload cartridge guns with Goex for CAS shooting: :draw: .45 Colt and .44-40 WCF, and 12 Guage BP. I've also been known to fire off a few magazines in my 1991-A1 with .45ACPs reloaded with Goex. :rockwoot:

BTW, 2nd Amendment Guns in Whitestown carries Goex. Call them first as they don't carry a lot. IROC, around $18/lb. Pretty pricey, but if you need it and they have it....

ol' poke.

funkeecowboy

Marksman
    Nov 2, 2010
    Marion County
    I think a Blackpowder page would be a great addition to this site. I'm always surprised to find out how many people have a muzzleloader sitting around in a safe or closet that's not been used in years and then after a few minutes conversation about it they dig it back out. I'm a big fan of smokepoles and currently own three rifles and one revolver and am always on the lookout for a .32 or .36 cal Kentucky rifle that's in my price range. I usually hit up the spring and fall shoots down in Friendship too.

DHolder

Expert
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    I too enjoy the smell of burnt powder and the calming effect using a muzzleloader has. In the early 80's I made a couple T/C's from kits I got at Galyans. Love to shoot, hate to clean. +1 for a new subforum, maybe a social group if this dosen't pan out.

Delmar

Master
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    It's come to the mods' attention that there may be enough demand to warrant the creation of a new subforum for muzzle loaders/black powder firearms. We don't want to create a new area for every specific type of gun out there because it would quickly devolve and make things harder to find rather than easier, however if there is enough demand for it, it's possible. So.... This is where we'll start, with a "sticky" thread. We'll give it a period of time and see how much activity there is and how much demand truly exists for such a forum.

Note that there is no poll. We're not asking to see if you think you'd use it. This is a discussion thread, so.... DISCUSS! :) What discussions will we be moving to this forum if/when you convince us by the numbers and content that the need is there?

I look forward to seeing what discussions will arise.

Ready? Annnnnnnd..... Go!

Blessings,
    Bill
    Bill, thanks for doing this!
    I am going to suggest that anyone interested in BP, muzzleloaders or cap and ball, go to "thread tools" and subscribe to this thread. Then if anyone starts a stand alone thread on a related topic, anyone spotting it, can drop a link in this thread and we will all see it.
    For example, here is a cap and ball thread I missed until today.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/118916-1851_colt_navy_revolver.html

oldbikelvr

Marksman
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    What is a good starting muzzleloader. nothing to expensive. id like to stay under 250 if possible. with some ammo

let me know
    thansk

What type of shooting do you want to do? Are you looking for a primitive type muzzloader, or one of the newer hunting rifles? I don't know much about the newer ones, but I'd be happy to offer what knowledge that I have. You will probably see a ton of the newer hunting type rifles in the classifieds here now that deer season is over, and then again when people are looking to upgrade before next season. Good Luck!

Ryninger

Expert
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    What is a good starting muzzleloader. nothing to expensive. id like to stay under 250 if possible. with some ammo

let me know
    thansk

For the money a CVA Wolf starter kit is hard to beat. Got one in my safe now that is a good shooter and dropped several dear with it. You should be able to find em on clearance online now or real soon, as seasons are ending. Best part there is, you can buy muzzle loaders online since no background check is needed.

Let us know what ya get, when you make the jump!

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I too enjoy the smell of burnt powder and the calming effect using a muzzleloader has. In the early 80's I made a couple T/C's from kits I got at Galyans. Love to shoot, hate to clean. +1 for a new subforum, maybe a social group if this dosen't pan out.

Maybe the monthly BP shoot at MCFG is a good place to start. I have a T/C Hawken .50 cal cap rifle and my son has a CVA Bobcat capper. Would love to burn some real BP.

Delmar

Master
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Maybe the monthly BP shoot at MCFG is a good place to start...
    Tell me more!
    Marion county fish and game? Tell me more. Do you have to be a member to attend such an event? I am three hours from Indy when the traffic is light so I'm not real interested in joining but I do have friends around there that visit a couple times a year or so.

Top Bottom