Multiple gun sales to be reported to ATF?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I don't think this is "new" per say. Isn't the dealer (FFL) alrady required to report to ATF when someone buys I think it's 5 or more long guns in 1 transaction (ie. i day) from that FFL.
    :dunno:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Yes, but per my understanding its for 5 or more pistols and of the same type. ie 5 G19's not one of each for a total of 5, and i believe long guns didnt have to be reported.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Please read the article at the link. It talks about buying 2+ .22 or larger semiauto rifles within 5 business days.

The policy was originally pushed by Mayors Against Illegal Guns (Bloomberg's group). That should tell you everything you need to know.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    Yes, but per my understanding its for 5 or more pistols and of the same type. ie 5 G19's not one of each for a total of 5, and i believe long guns didnt have to be reported.

Nope, it is any amount of any type of Pistols or Revolvers. The form says "any combination of pistols and revolvers acquired in the last five business days"

I already is a major pain in the butt! :xmad:

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    As of now any time a person purchases more than 2 or more handguns or revolvers of in 5 consecutive business days period it must be reported to the ATF, State or Local LEO's on ATF Form 3310.4.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Sure, it could affect us, but it isn't that difficult to wait a 6th day if you're that concerned with being reported.

When you're buying more than 5 or 6 guns in a month, yeah, it is difficult to wait for the sixth day.

I've had days where I've bought four guns. Not a one of them has been used in a crime. If I'm not using my firearms for any illegal purpose, why do they need to know how frequently I am purchasing?

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    So the government knows whos house to raid first:dunno:

When you're buying more than 5 or 6 guns in a month, yeah, it is difficult to wait for the sixth day.

I've had days where I've bought four guns. Not a one of them has been used in a crime. If I'm not using my firearms for any illegal purpose, why do they need to know how frequently I am purchasing?

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville

if you were gonna use your gun for an illegal purpose would you actually tell the person you were buying it from?:dunno:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Even if reported, the people buying weapons to supply Mexicans will be out of the country before the call is made. And that is assuming they bought it through a legal outlet. I'm sure they are all purchased through legal outlets...

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    if you were gonna use your gun for an illegal purpose would you actually tell the person you were buying it from?:dunno:

ATF already gets a phone call so the deal can ask permission to do business with me. If they had ANY reason to suspect that I might be looking to do something illegal, they would (in violation of the Constitution) deny my right to purchase the firearm.
    Why they need to track it after the fact to make sure I'm not buying "too many" is beyond explanation. This is the start of a limit on purchases, which will lead to a limit on ownership, which will lead to a ban.
    We've already given them too much. We don't need to give them this power, too.

PTinbound

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    DeMotte
    Here's the text of the email I got from JG sales. In my opinion, this is unconstitutional and needs to be ruled on by congress.

Dear J&G Customer,
    This is a special notice to warn you of impending new gun regulation. The ATF has proposed to require gun dealers to provide directly to the ATF the names, addresses, and serial numbers for every purchase of two or more semi auto, mag fed rifles within a five day period!! They are trying to force this in by January 5th, without any approval from Congress, calling it a needed "emergency" regulation. This is backdoor registration of guns and gunowners.

Here is a quote from the notice by the NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) regarding this burdensome and illegal move:

"The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) is moving to require federally licensed firearms retailers to report multiple sales of modern sporting rifles beginning January 5, 2011. Specifically, the ATF requirement calls for firearms retailers to report multiple sales, or other dispositions, of two or more .22 caliber or larger semi-automatic rifles that are capable of accepting a detachable magazine and are purchased by the same individual within five consecutive business days."

We are encouraging everyone to contact the relevant officials to protest this move. The office that approves regulation changes like this that bypass Congress is the Office of Information and Regulation affairs of the DOJ and they can be reached at 202-395-6466 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 202-395-6466 end_of_the_skype_highlighting. You can call your Senator and Representative at the US Capitol switchboard at 202-224-3121 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 202-224-3121 end_of_the_skype_highlighting.

The NSSF offers the following points to make when calling

1. "Multiple sales reporting of long guns will actually make it more difficult for licensed retailers to help law enforcement as traffickers modify their illegal schemes to circumvent the reporting requirement. Traffickers will go further underground, hiring more people to buy their firearms. This will make it much harder for retailers to identify and report suspicious behavior to law enforcement."
    2. "Long guns are rarely used in crime (Bureau of Justice Statistics)."
    3. "Imposing multiple sales-reporting requirements for long guns would further add to the already extensive paperwork and record-keeping requirements burdening America’s retailers – where a single mistake could cost them their license and even land them in jail."
    4. "Last year, ATF inspected 2,000 retailers in border states and only two licenses were revoked (0.1%). These revocations were for reasons unknown and could have had nothing to do with illicit trafficking of guns; furthermore, no dealers were charged with any criminal wrongdoing."
    5. "According to ATF, the average age of a firearm recovered in the United States is 11 years old. In Mexico it’s more than 14 years old. This demonstrates that criminals are not using new guns bought from retailers in the states."
    6. "Congress, when it enacted multiple sales reporting for handguns, could have required multiple sales of long guns – it specifically chose not to."
    Read the full notice by the NSSF here:
    http://www.nssfblog.com/atf-to-require-multiple-sales-reports-for-long-guns/

Read the full ATF document proposing this illegal move here: (PDF)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/documents/atf.pdf

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I just read the same basic article from an e-mail from the NRA-ILA.
    I'm with the others who believe this really has nothing to do with actually fighting crime and stemming the tide of guns across the border and has Everything to do with the BATFE sticking their nose where is doesn't belong.
    IMO it's yet another Brady bunch ploy to further chip away at our freedoms. :noway:

Top Bottom