• ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I doubt this is one of our members :popcorn:

Notice the motive . . . an anti-war protest. So why does a pacifist have a gun?

Armed Man Waving Flag Shuts Down California Freeway
    Monday, November 03, 2008
    FOXNews.com - Armed Man Waving Flag Shuts Down California Freeway - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. — A masked gunman waving an American flag on a Highway 101 overpass shut down the freeway for hours just west of downtown on Monday as police negotiated with him.

Police Sgt. Lorenzo Duarte said the unidentified man, wearing a ski mask and brown fatigues, was waving the flag with one hand and had a handgun in the other when officers arrived on the La Cumbre Avenue overpass just after 7:10 a.m.

No shots were fired. A police special weapons and tactics team and a crisis negotiation team were using a bullhorn to communicate with the man. Nearly three hours into the siege he put the handgun on the ground but police did not immediately move in.
    1_62_110308_FreewayGunman01.jpg

As for the man's motive, Duarte said, "The reason appears to be anti-war, but I don't know the specifics."

But the sergeant said no one knows who the man is or what he wants.

The freeway was shut down in both directions and the California Highway Patrol reported at 10 a.m. that traffic was backed up at least three miles in each direction.

Motorists stuck on the freeway got out of their vehicles and chatted or waved at media helicopters.

The La Cumbre overpass links the exclusive Hope Ranch and La Cumbre Golf & Country Club on the south to the La Cumbre Plaza shopping mall and State Street to the northeast. Santa Barbara is 90 miles northwest of Los Angeles.​

nk1124

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Bloomington
    while you dont need a permit to have own and transport in a locked container, when I left they were making people buy a certificate that says you were competent to buy a gun, and then on top of that prove competency with whatever you purchased in front of the clerk. It was quite awkward performing that stupid exam with a bare STI frame I bought via a ppt.

All that said,
    So why does a pacifist have a gun?

I constantly have to remind myself that morons like that never apply any sort of logic that sane people might use.

Last edited:

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Probably one of those airsoft guns.Somebody could've gotten a nasty welt!

Notice that stuff doesn't happen here? Some grandmother would've shot his dumbass.:ar15:

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    So why does a pacifist have a gun?

I constantly have to remind myself that morons like that never apply any sort of logic that sane people might use.

It's a ridiculous assumption that to be against a BS war makes you a "pacifist". Sane & logical people can disagree that the current war in Iraq was worth the price in blood & money.

Pacifists are against most (or all) wars in preference to peaceful negotiations if possible. Unless someone is inherently violent I would hope that among reasonable & civilized humans (i.e. not morons) that would be the default condition. IOW, war only as a last resort.

Also, it's not entirely correct that by being a "pacifist" it means that you refuse to own the tools to defend yourself from violence. That may be true on the extreme fringe of "pacifism" but not by any means universally so. Again, I would hope that among civilized humans the default condition would be deadly violence only as a last resort.

The person went about the protest in the wrong way but you can fault the methods without faulting the message.

Flame on.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I think what is being pointed out is that to get his message of Anti-war across he obstructed traffic and waved a gun around. I don't care what his message is. Any message would not go over well using that method. But protesting war and waving a gun is just too damn funny.

finity your description of Pacifist made me look it up. I found it is quite broad and depends on who is using the term. I think those, that think violence and war is NEVER the answer, are the sheep and a bit naive.
    But thats ok I'm still watching over the flock.
    Just my:twocents:

Thus some who called themselves “pacifists” (for example, during the First World War) supported war as a suitable means toward peace. And Richard Nixon once called himself a pacifist, even as he continued to support the Vietnam War.
    Most basically, pacifists hold that war is wrong because killing is wrong. Pacifism, as it is used in ordinary discourse today, includes a variety of commitments on a continuum from an absolute commitment to nonviolence in all actions (and toward all forms of life) to a more focused or minimal sort of anti-warism. In contrast to the just war tradition, pacifism rejects war as an acceptable means for obtaining peace. Pacifists will often refuse to serve in the military. And some refuse to support political and social systems that promote war by, for example, withholding their taxes. Pacifism can also be used to describe a commitment to nonviolence in one's personal life that might include the attempt to cultivate pacific virtues such as tolerance, patience, mercy, forgiveness, and love. It might also be extended to include nonviolence toward all sentient beings and thus result in a commitment to vegetarianism and what Albert Schweitzer called, "reverence for life."

Source: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/pacifism/

Top Bottom