• ...and so much more!
  • Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Although many distributors insist on using UPS and FedEx to ship overnight FFL holders are allowed to ship to each other through the US Postal Service which has lower rates. I think with the adult signature fee tacked on total cost is in the $22 range compared to around $30 for the others. Regular gun owners cannot ship via the USPS, just FFL to FFL. Something to keep in mind to save a few bucks for an extra day or two in shipment.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    At least us regular joes can't send HANDGUNS through USPS.

I'm under the impression that we CAN send LONGGUNS via USPS.

And the overnight stipulation for UPS and FEDEX are their own rules, nothing federally mandaged (that I know of)

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I believe you are correct; you can send long guns USPS. As for the rule on overnight it does not matter who made the rule, they get their extra $$ and the public has no choice but to follow their rules or not ship a handgun. It is what it is.................

At least us regular joes can't send HANDGUNS through USPS.

I'm under the impression that we CAN send LONGGUNS via USPS.

And the overnight stipulation for UPS and FEDEX are their own rules, nothing federally mandaged (that I know of)

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    I remember reading once that there's nothing illegal to ship an undeclared handgun via non-USPS carrier, it's only against the company policy. If you do it and for whatever reason it comes up, you won't be prosecuted or anything.

I've shipped 2 longarms via USPS, and I don't believe you're required to declare it. Probably a good idea to let them know, though. Just pack it to survive being run over by a truck and it'll be fine.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Need a PS 1508 form for shipping hanguns via USPS

I remember reading once that there's nothing illegal to ship an undeclared handgun via non-USPS carrier, it's only against the company policy. If you do it and for whatever reason it comes up, you won't be prosecuted or anything.

I've shipped 2 longarms via USPS, and I don't believe you're required to declare it. Probably a good idea to let them know, though. Just pack it to survive being run over by a truck and it'll be fine.

The USPS requires a form PS 1508 to be submitted if a FFL wants to use the Post Office to ship to another FFL. The USPS defer to the BATF as to the legality of shipping firearms using their service. That will take some research and right now I don't have the time for researching it. Anyone else know of any BATF rule on this subject?

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008

The only problem is if they lose it and you have to file an Insurance Claim.
    They won't pay on the claim if you don't follow their policy.

Usually cheaper and safer to have a Dealer ship Priority/Express mail and Insure it.
    But then I'm a Dealer. :):

Top Bottom