• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ozzy866

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Hello-I have been reading this site for some time.
    Thank you for all the info.
    I want to start building a gun.
    I already own one Colt AR15 and thought I might build an AR.
    Any suggestions at what would be a good kit for a newbe.
    And I have read about all the great gunsmiths we have here in Indiana-When the build is done should I have it checked out by one of them?

Thanks
    OZ

Last edited:

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    For an AR, you probably dont need it inspected.

As far as an AR kit, how involved do you want to get? Do you want to completely assemble the lower, and the upper, or do you just want to take a complete lower and attach a complete upper? Or a combo of the two? You can buy a stripped lower and a complete upper, or you could buy a complete lower and assemble the upper!

It all depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend. Im sure someone else will tell you a bit more about which kits to user, etc. I have never done an AR build (getting ready to though) so I will leave that wisdom for someone who has, and I will be sitting patiently waiting to see what people recommend.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    To the OP you need to be a little more clear on your intentions. What will you be using this for and how far into the build do you want to get. Also how much are you looking to spend? The possibilities are endless!!!!

gemlit-eyed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2010
    conner prarie used to have a rifle building class. Start to finish and you make your own flint lock. That may not be what your talking about but one would learn alot I bet.:)

M2A2

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Jasper county
    The fal is agreat gun to start building... The you missed the boat kits were CHEAP! But it not too late. Very simple with lots of good receivers out there.I have built alot of them... .308 power!:D

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I have built up several rifles on Del-Ton kits and have been very happy with them. Sometimes the wait time for a kit is a little long, but the quality and customer service for the price is top notch.

Top Bottom