What is everyones thought on what gas pistion AR to buy ??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • H&HMarine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Silver Lake
    I bought the adam arms conversion and built a nice carbine for around $800 and I love it. Its adjustable too if you ever decide to suppress or go full auto. The kit was $270 shipped.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    None of them....if I wanted a piston gun I would buy one designed that way such as the AR 180 instead of trying to force a great design to take a part it was not meant to use. When a maker of Noveske's reputation says it is a bad idea I listen. When someone makes a railed AR upper perhaps I would consider it.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    None of them....if I wanted a piston gun I would buy one designed that way such as the AR 180 instead of trying to force a great design to take a part it was not meant to use.

This.

It seems like the AR piston conversions are introducing more issues than they are allegedly correcting, to say nothing of adding weight and complexity (i.e. more things to potentially go wrong and more parts to break) to an otherwise simple and reliable system.

The other thing that prevents me from recommending said systems is that there is no industry standard; there's a TON of players in the game right now, and everyone is taking a slightly different approach so nobody's parts are cross-compatible. I think the industry will really shake itself out in the next few years. Until then, you run the risk of buying and being stuck with the firearms equivalent of a Betamax VCR (or HD-DVD for you young'uns).

My :twocents:

LanceRobbins24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    South Bend
    No to conversions.....four letter word for you.......L W R C the only piston option to go with. I'm too cheap to go for them, but my buddy next door has a sweet 10.5" that I joke about sneaking into his house and taking. If I ever have the dough laying around, that is the one I'm buying.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    This.

It seems like the AR piston conversions are introducing more issues than they are allegedly correcting, to say nothing of adding weight and complexity (i.e. more things to potentially go wrong and more parts to break) to an otherwise simple and reliable system.

The other thing that prevents me from recommending said systems is that there is no industry standard; there's a TON of players in the game right now, and everyone is taking a slightly different approach so nobody's parts are cross-compatible. I think the industry will really shake itself out in the next few years. Until then, you run the risk of buying and being stuck with the firearms equivalent of a Betamax VCR (or HD-DVD for you young'uns).

My :twocents:

Please elaborate on all these "issues." From what I have read, the piston uppers "issues" are less cleaning and less fouling. There is always someone that has a bad story. Please tell us about your personal piston AR that you had all these "issues" with.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Please tell us about your personal piston AR that you had all these "issues" with.

I never said I owned one. I have, however, seen my fair share in training classes, and belonging to customers who come into the shop. I have also read accounts online posted by folks whose opinions and experiences I trust (i.e. those who get out and shoot/train with their gear a lot more than I do).

My original assertion was it seems like piston ARs were creating more issues than they were allegedly solving. You brought up less cleaning and less fouling as positives; I'll counter that with proprietary parts, excessive parts wear, increased complexity and increased weight as negatives. Do you own a piston AR? If so, how many rounds do you have down the pipe over what sort of timeframe, and what problems if any have you observed?

z5843

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    I was looking at the ruger sr556, seems to be a very popular ar15. I havent heard very many bad things about it. Just didnt know if there were any other ar's out there around the same price range

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I was looking at the ruger sr556, seems to be a very popular ar15. I havent heard very many bad things about it.

My biggest knocks against the SR-556 are the overall weight (heavy barrel profile plus "robust" gas block/regulator) and the quad rail that is pinned to the upper receiver :n00b:

Just didnt know if there were any other ar's out there around the same price range

The S&W M&P-15PS and PSX are comparably priced, while the LWRCi and LMT piston offerings are more expensive, and the Stag Model 8 and CMMG M4-LEPII are lower.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    My only experience with a non-conversion rifle has been with the LWRC. I'm not a tacticool guy using it in a big sandy two-way range or anything like that. I drive mine about as hard as any civilian in suburbia that sleeps on clean sheets every night ... which means three gun matches and the shooting range. High/low temps, high humidity, a few mag dumps, a cloudburst or two and the occasional roll in the dirt/gravel is as bad as it gets for me. My LWRC has worked just peachy without any issues ... jams, malfunctions, carrier tilt, unusual wear or kabooms.

Have to give LWRC a :yesway:.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My buddy has a factory built complete Piston CMMG. It is less than reliable. Breech end of his is still quite flat. I have seen another piston upper (spikes) and the breech end of the piston was shroomed out like a mofo The spike's had a ton sent out of it with no problems, the CMMG has had less than 1000. IMO a piston system is an answer looking for a problem.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    if you want a piston buy a ak :) and by that i mean buy a pws gas piston system. kinda turns the ar in to a ak. i have had 3 now and no problems w/ a couple 3k rounds through each. very cool design. i haven't had any carrier tilt issues at all but have heard a very minor few saying they had issues. i also have a pof and lwrc both piston set ups and both are top notch and demand a top notch price. i don't own one but i don't believe you can go wrong with a LMT set up, they are also top notch.

everyone is going to have different opinions especially with this many folks. i will also say in MLARM at 10th mountain, i ran over 15k rounds through the regular colt DI's and never had a problem either except extremely dirty. we cleaned them once a day and keep them wet. to each his own really. you will always find fans of the latest and greatest and you will always find folks who like them the way they are :)

Top Bottom