• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Has anyone done any testing to see if pistol and rifle calibers would penetrate thru brick walls?

My house is brick, and I've often wondered about penetration.

If not, would anyone be interested in performing a test?

But NOT at my house!

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    very good question, I too live in a brick house and have wondered the same thing. If nobody comes with a legit answer by this weekend ill drive to my father-in-laws and put it to test with 9mm, .223, and 7.62x39. I have some extra brick in the garage and plywood, and ill record it too and show some results. Of course unless someone gives a legit answer by than.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I saw this done on one of the outdoor channels, but it was to see which rifle caliber would penetrate the fastest. I can't find anything on YouTube. I think you've given Lovemywoods a new review to consider. :D

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Funny thing about this is that, in my "uneducated" opinion, is that brick is less dense than drywall...but harder, making it easier to "shatter" and less easy to "COMPRESS".

Drywall has some funny characteristics because its soft and dense...also ...it just depends on what kind of "brick" we are talking about.

The "harder" the brick...the easier it will be to "penetrate"....Like shooting through a foot of Styrofoam Vs. a glass pane. The glass is very hard...but shatters....the foam is very "dense" and will absorb more.

Id be interested in the results of the testing...maybe testing penetration of brick Vs. Siding, OSB, insulation, and drywall stacks.

God bless
    -Shred

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    I know I've seen the youtube clip on here of a show on tv that ranked the "greatest assault rifles of all time." It ranked the AK 47 first and demonstrated it destroyed a concrete cinder block and then the M16 didn't quite penetrate it. I can't seem to find it now though.

mavisky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Greater Atlanta Area

mavisky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Greater Atlanta Area
    I said it has trouble not that it wouldn't.

There's something wrong with your AR15 ammo if it won't punch through two standard pieces of drywall, even with insulation in between them. I can do this with a fricking pellet gun. Watch the video of a 22LR punching through it no issue and you think a .223 is going to struggle? It'd still punch through at 600meters.

gunsrfun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Did you notice where the .556 round hit the paper target? It was the only round that deflected off path.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Well, I know my .40 takes two shots to destroy a cinder block. I know that isn't the same thing as a brick wall, but there you have it.

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    I said it has trouble not that it wouldn't.

5.56 ball ammo has no problem penetrating drywall. Not sure where you are getting your bogus information.

The Box O' Truth #1 - The Original Box O' Truth - Page 1

XM-193 will tumble when hitting a denser-than-air medium, as it is designed to do for lethality. I can't imagine why you think a 55 grain bullet with over 1000 ft. lbs. of energy at 3000 fps would have "trouble" getting through drywall. As the box o' truth test shows, XM-193 5.56 ammo will get though 12 sheets just fine, even traveling sideways through many of the sheets.

Top Bottom