Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

User Info Menu

Ammo is affected by temps but only to a minimal extent. As an example 5.56/.223 ammo that has chronoed at 3200fps in 95* temps may only show 3000 to 3100 at 0*. It will still function flawlessly and show no ill effects even after being subjected to such fluctuations such as this. Rule of thumb is if the shooter is able to function comfortable at a certain temp the ammo will also function.

Heat is a larger concern than cold when ammo is stored in a car in the summer. Ammo that has been loaded on the hot side during normal temps may become quite volatile when stored in a car where temps may reach 130* and higher. Excess temps may raise pressures to a dangerous level. This becomes a major issue when ball powders have been used. BTW condensation becomes a non issue as the gun components change temps at much the same as the ambient temps therefore not causing condensation to be a problem.

User Info Menu

My thoughts were a ziplock bag with a little thing of descecant. The gun isn't going to be easy to get to fast as it's already going to be locked in a safe all the time, so a ziplock isn't going to make a life or death difference in retrieving it. I'd also be taking it in at LEAST every weekend. Most likely I"d be taking it out of the truck every DAY. Put it in when I leave for the day, take it out when I know I'm at home for the night so I probably won't even bother with descecant.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dburkhead View Post
    A soft sided pouch, being able to absorb moisture and hold it right there next to the gun, may not be a good idea (depending on the pouch itself). An airtight container with a dessicant inside, maybe.

My own "solution" is more basic: keep the gun well lubricated with a rust preventative. At the same time, you don't want a lubricant that "gums up" and might, therefore, interfere with the action. I personally use Break Free, sprayed on then wiped so that only a thin film is left. Haven't had a problem yet. (Just out of curiosity I stuck one of my handguns so treated in the deep freeze then tried the action, using snap caps, and found it was as smooth as at room temperature. YMMV, of course.)
    Break Free is my lubricant of choice too

User Info Menu

cold temps

I just got done watching a reloading video and it was talking about some loads getting hotter as they get colder. he mentioned someone who loaded his rounds for a match and then left then in the truck overnight with cold temps and the loads were so hot because of the change of the burn curve that it damaged the gun. I am sure this is the extreme but I thought it fit the thread.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by glock34 View Post
    I just got done watching a reloading video and it was talking about some loads getting hotter as they get colder. he mentioned someone who loaded his rounds for a match and then left then in the truck overnight with cold temps and the loads were so hot because of the change of the burn curve that it damaged the gun. I am sure this is the extreme but I thought it fit the thread.
    Gotta link? I would like to see such a video. I have friends who live in the bush in Alaska that would have a hard time believing it. At -50* it is cold enough they leave some guns in unheated areas in order to keep condensation from forming and freezing the actions during transition from indoors to outdoors yet ammo is not a problem. They also rinse out all lubes with gasoline to avoid lube freeze on these guns.

User Info Menu

I would defiantly not worry about the ammo I think you are good there.The oil is however another matter. I would use graphite though it does nothing to fight the moisture problem.The Russians in world war 2 used to use motor oil cut 50/50 with diesel fuel for extreme temperatures lubrication of firearms.

Shooter

User Info Menu

Cold temperatures will not have a detrimental effect on the function of your ammunition. In extreme cold. Velocity and trajectory may be affected, but that is due to the fact that at very cold temperatures the air is denser. Making it more difficult for the projectile to cut threw it. As far as ignition the cold will not hamper your results...JC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2