• Do you own your own shooting range?

• Total voters

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Just a quick questions to everyone.I want to know how many INGO menbers have their own shooting range.

By that I mean any place where you can shoot that belongs to you (not public).
    It can be a outdoor range in your yard with a few targets, a indoor range in your basement, your own woods and lands where you can shoot.

Any place where you can shoot, that is yours and where you make your own "range rules".

A YES/NO poll should be enough to answer that question.

Tell us what kind of shooting facility you have if you are lucky enough to own one.

Shooting_Range.jpg

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    i have 11 acres to shoot on. i have a designated pistol and rifle shooting lane. rifle is down a slight hill into another large hill. pistol is close to wood line with hill as backstop....have been wanting to build a backstop with railroad ties and backfill it with sand for both rifle and pistol

rifle range goes out to 50 yards and pistol out to 25. custom built backstop would enable 100 yard shots

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    lovemywoods and I have been fortunate enough to build several ranges on his property in Brown County. Although we certainly enjoy shooting on the ranges ourselves, we really enjoy sharing it with others, and have many times thanks to INGO!

There was another similar thread about private ranges here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/98220-your_backyard_range.html

And this was my post from that thread (modified to include new info):

lovemywoods and I have built a range on his property, and we are both very proud of it. We also enjoy sharing it with INGOers through such events as NFA Day and the recently hosted MDFI courses.

Actually, its more like 4 ranges.

The 'main' range uses the lake dam as a large frontal backstop, with rising hills on the two sides, giving us 180 degree shooting. Front-to-back is 25 yards, and side-to-side is 50 yards.

sc3khf.jpg

1zb6hea.jpg

am2gyr.jpg

Here is when we installed several water drainage lines underground:

30w4c28.jpg

2ni5xki.jpg

2u9nas9.jpg

2hobdb5.jpg

The next range runs along the top length of the dam, giving us easy access to 50 yards for sighting in rifles.

30vhllc.jpg

a1p8qr.jpg

The third range starts in the middle of the dam, shooting to the other side, which is 211 yards away. This allows the rifles to stretch out and breathe a little bit.

16id4jm.jpg

2w1sd54.jpg

4hshom.jpg

The fourth range, and clearly the most redneck :D, is two areas of hanging steel plates, shot from the elevated back porch. The first set of targets are at 60 yards, and the second set, across the lake, is 132 yards.

1265gg4.jpg

dp8tua.jpg

264pb2h.jpg

2vvrgax.jpg

And of course, every private range needs stuff to shoot at/on/with. lovemywoods is excellent at building stuff, and no detail is too minor.

PVC target stands: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...sion/72420-lightweight_pvc_target_stands.html

Target stand for steel: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ade_target_stand_for_long_distance_steel.html

Shooting bench: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...3-built_my_own_shooting_bench_-_pictures.html

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I have a bench set up in the edge of a woods and shoot down a fencerow along on the backside of my property. Right now all I have is 25 meter and 100 meter backstops.
    It's something else to maintain - mowing, spraying, trimming trees ect but it's nice to have.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    lovemywoods and I have been fortunate enough to build several ranges on his property in Brown County. Although we certainly enjoy shooting on the ranges ourselves, we really enjoy sharing it with others, and have many times thanks to INGO!

There was another similar thread about private ranges here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/98220-your_backyard_range.html

And this was my post from that thread (modified to include new info):

:bowdown:

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    That is one of the coolest things I have ever seen!! Awesome!!!!!

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    My landlord and I made a small range in the back of his property. Large mound of dirt for the backstop and nothing behind it but trees for at least a mile. Its mostly good for pistols and .22 rifles. The farthest we can safely shoot is 50 yards.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    My landlord and I made a small range in the back of his property. Large mound of dirt for the backstop and nothing behind it but trees for at least a mile. Its mostly good for pistols and .22 rifles. The farthest we can safely shoot is 50 yards.

If I had "just" a 50 yards range for pistols I would be VERY happy.
    Im not a good enough shot to need more than 50 yards anyway. :n00b:

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    I am in process on a 100 yard range in my back yard. Currently have backstop set up. Building shelterhouse. Check out lovemywoods shooting bench. That too is on the list this summer. I also have a small bowl in the side yard that is going to become a pistol/cowboy action range.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    I live about 3 minutes fro MCF&G. Go there with pistols, some rifles and ML. Bummer is NO AR's, at least in .223/5.56.:xmad:

I drive to Crawfordsville to my wife's grandfather's farm for the AR and such. We can squeeze in about 100 yards there.

BTW, lovemywoods place looks VERY nice. You should be very proud of what you've been able to do with it.:yesway: Lot's of hard work I'm sure.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    We are almost 50/50 in the poll now.
    Im surprised so many people have their own place to shoot.
    That's a good surprise, I can see why I cant find many public ranges now if half of the shooters already have their own.

Sgood

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    West Newton
    We have a lake house in Fontanet, IN that we can get out to 300yards across the lake with a natural backstop. Just always worried that DNR will show up....because it is illegal to shoot across a water way and I actually have to shoot across a crik and the lake. The lake is a old Strip pit and there is a hill that is about 50' high as a back stop.

I can get 150 yards to the side of the house....where I have a triaxle of rip rap under a tri axle of dirt. It is a downhill shot too...perfect for replicating a deer stand shot.

Bad thing is....it is an hour drive from Indy.....where we live thru the week.

Top Bottom