• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bcourts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    I just purchased a rifle and need to do a transfer from a non-FFL. Anyone handle this type of transaction in the Fort Wayne area? :abused:

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    K&t guns in new haven will do it. $25 I think.

Assuming you used gunbroker they have an ffl search engine. I found a couple guys that don't advertise anywhere else.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Ranger Supply on Getz Rd. is another.
    I believe both Tomlinsons in Churubusco and 21st Century in Bluffton also do transfers. Need to call to be sure and to get the price.

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Ranger Supply on Getz Rd. is another.
    I believe both Tomlinsons in Churubusco and 21st Century in Bluffton also do transfers. Need to call to be sure and to get the price.
    Actually, Ranger will NOT take transfers from non-FFl's. I would use Tomlinsons in Churubusco. Good guys up there (usually) and they are pretty liberal with transfers, unless something has changed since I last used them.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Unless you bought the rifle from out of state, there is no need to do a so-called "transfer".

The 4473 doesn't transfer anything because there is no registration. It is simply a process to ensure that the buyer is not prohibited from possessing a firearm. If you know you can possess, you don't need verification of that fact, do you?.

I say this because you say you have already purchased the rifle, which implied in my mnd that the deal is already done. If so, there is no need to get the government involved in a private transaction.

bcourts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback! I purchased the gun off of gunbroker (out of state transaction).

Firearm Fred

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012
    Seems to be a few places that have in fact stated "We can only take transfers from another FFL" I have hit these shops at least 4 times in the last two weeks shipping long guns.. I decided to do some research..

This idea that they can only accept from an FFL is patently false.. These owners are either ignorant of the law or they have been burned.

The law is clear..

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

I just spoke with an investigator for the BATF and he informed me that some FFL holders slacked on collecting information from "senders" and got caught during an audit.. Because they were lazy, they now only take transfers from another FFL (easy to write down a license number vs all the info for a non-licensee)

There are a few ways to avoid the FFL issue such as buying a gun in person and mailing it home to yourself (C/O third party).. They may not open the package however, only you can.. comes in handy at estate sales..

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Seems to be a few places that have in fact stated "We can only take transfers from another FFL" I have hit these shops at least 4 times in the last two weeks shipping long guns.. I decided to do some research..

This idea that they can only accept from an FFL is patently false.. These owners are either ignorant of the law or they have been burned.

The law is clear..

I just spoke with an investigator for the BATF and he informed me that some FFL holders slacked on collecting information from "senders" and got caught during an audit.. Because they were lazy, they now only take transfers from another FFL (easy to write down a license number vs all the info for a non-licensee)

There are a few ways to avoid the FFL issue such as buying a gun in person and mailing it home to yourself (C/O third party).. They may not open the package however, only you can.. comes in handy at estate sales..

Same concept as kicking someone out for a legal activity in your store. Their property their rules. Sucks doesn't it?

Top Bottom