Ever take apart a gun and find yourself with an extra part...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    When you put it back together?

Did that again tonight while disassembling the trigger pack on an uzi to replace a broken spring. Since I was doing a detail strip/clean at the time I managed to get it all the way back together before noticing that little extra piece of metal. Looked at it and instantly knew where it went, and had to do the forehead slap of shame... while take it apart again

For the record it prolly would have worked without it...... :D Was just the sear disconnect after all.

Last edited:

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I have, but it was for the magazine safety on a hipoint. It would have functioned without it, but I replaced it, anyway.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I either have one (or more) extra parts that wont go anywhere, or I have a few missing parts that I cant find anywhere in the room (usually flying springs that take five days to find and that always land in the last place you search). :D

It's also possible that once you put the gun back together, you find a little spring on the table, you take the whole gun appart again to see where it goes and look for hours where it could go, you look at the manual and do online searches ... before you wife asks you if you found the missing spring of her pen that she left on your desk the other day.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    It is a rarely known fact that when a spring pops outta your hand when reassembling a gun it flies off into another universe!! no matter how hard you look they are just gone!! :D

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    (usually flying springs that take five days to find and that always land in the last place you search). :D
    Glad to hear you stop looking once you found it. Starting to think I may be the only one.:rolleyes:
    Can't say I ever stripped a complicated gun. Maybe I should pick one up and try. Like I mentioned-Glocks are easy, but so are 1911s and SKSs which are largest part of what I own and know about.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Glad to hear you stop looking once you found it. Starting to think I may be the only one.:rolleyes:
    Can't say I ever stripped a complicated gun. Maybe I should pick one up and try. Like I mentioned-Glocks are easy, but so are 1911s and SKSs which are largest part of what I own and know about.

Sometimes I keep looking even after I found it, you can always find other parts that you dont even know you lost yet. :D

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Don't pet the sweaty stuff!

When you put it back together?

Did that again tonight while disassembling the trigger pack on an uzi to replace a broken spring. Since I was doing a detail strip/clean at the time I managed to get it all the way back together before noticing that little extra piece of metal. Looked at it and instantly knew where it went, and had to do the forehead slap of shame... while take it apart again

For the record it prolly would have worked without it...... :D

Nope. Never with a firearm. :ar15: ...... A few airplanes and a lot of cars though. :D

PS: There was also this tractor...........:rolleyes:

Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    Yeah I work on cars a lot and when you take a dash out or replace an engine, a lot of times you end up with an extra bolt/screw that was just redundant anyway and it all still works. I'm not sure there are many parts like that in, say, an AR-15 :P

DaveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Washington IN.
    I recovered one of hose recoil springs that goes to another demension about six months later. Also manage to recover a 1911 part out of my rock garden where it had launched too. Used a long magnetic bar that looked like a squigee.

matt4shadow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Hobart
    High standard Model A. Took a long time to figure that out. It was the takedown plunger. Don't make many parts for that gun anymore. I had to dremel a new extractor from a new model. I will never take it apart again!

Top Bottom