• ...and so much more!
  • MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    So, I am planning a winter vacation...

We are headed to AZ, and driving is out for this trip. I was planning on flying, or taking the Amtrak (because I've always wanted to). I have already come across a problem with the Amtrak's new firearm policy. They ONLY allow you to transport firearms in CHECKED baggage. Well, they don't offer checked baggage from Indianapolis to Chicago (where most trains from Indy transfer)...So, this causes a big headache.

I don't really want to fly...but would if I absolutely had to...

But then I had a thought...What if I ship the firearm to myself??? We have a house in AZ, so the day we took off I would just drop it off at FedEx and have them ship it do me in AZ.

I'm sure it's been covered, but can I do this?

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I know you can with UPS, it just has to be in a Box. You can't ship it in just the hard case. At the one I go to they say just put the hard case in a box or even wrap it in cardboard and they are happy. It doesn't have to be pretty.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Not like you're sending it to someone else; you don't have to 4473 it to yourself. Pack it up right and I can't imagine them caring.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    So, I am planning a winter vacation...

We are headed to AZ, and driving is out for this trip. I was planning on flying, or taking the Amtrak (because I've always wanted to). I have already come across a problem with the Amtrak's new firearm policy. They ONLY allow you to transport firearms in CHECKED baggage. Well, they don't offer checked baggage from Indianapolis to Chicago (where most trains from Indy transfer)...So, this causes a big headache.

I don't really want to fly...but would if I absolutely had to...

But then I had a thought...What if I ship the firearm to myself??? We have a house in AZ, so the day we took off I would just drop it off at FedEx and have them ship it do me in AZ.

I'm sure it's been covered, but can I do this?

Yes, you can do it. A few things to note.

1. If it is a handgun you have to send it overnight. It cannot go regular ground service. (UPS and Fedex corporate policy).

2. You have to take it to an actual UPS or Fedex shipping center. You cant take it to a UPS store or Fedex/Kinko's. You can find these locations on their website. You can also take it to an independent shipping store that has a daily pickup. You need to let them know what's in the package and make sure they're ok with shipping it for you.

3. If you ship a handgun, you also have to let Fedex or UPS know when you drop it off that it is a handgun. (again, corporate policy)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I think can use USPS if you want to ship a semi-auto handgun, you are not allowed to send firearms with USPS but if you send two packages, one with the barrel and slide and another one with the frame and magazine then you are no longer shipping a firearm.Just two halfs of a firearm.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    My parents shipped me a shotgun and a rifle. I think USPS, been a while ago. They had my dad pack the shotgun with the barrel off and the rifle with the bolt removed. All could be shipped in the same box. My dad had to show them everything disassembled.

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Ship it overnight to us. That way you know someone is here to get it. Otherwise you will likely have to track it down once you get here. Trip planned yet?

Syxxthkidd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    shipping a handgun through a regular shipping place like fed ex or ups you have to tell them that its a gun, i beleive you have to ship overnight, your best shot is to find someone with a ffl and have them do it for you.

Top Bottom