• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Ok, as I am a recently returned veteran and gone back to school, again....I find this rather frustrating. I know times are tough for everyone but veterans have more than earned what little perks they are supposed to receive for their dedicated service to this country and now they are starting to take those perks away.

For those who aren't familiar, the G.I. bill provides a housing allowance for veterans while they are attending school for their degree. Recently they decided that while these veterans are on break (i.e. Spring break, Christmas break, etc) they do not deserve a housing allowance!?!?!? basically, they are only getting payed the housing allowance for full weeks that they attend classes.....I'm assuming this comes from Obama's new budget plan, but I'm not sure......anyhow, how is a full time student supposed to get a job to pay his bills for a mere week or two at a time??? Not exactly possible by most employers right....well, anyway I just thought I'd share this with you fellow INGOers since the media is seeming to ignore it....and provide links to some information on a bill they are trying to pass which re-enstates break pay for veterans attending school.....PLEASE feel free to contact you local representatives and congressional leaders to share your opinions....as well as share this information around as much as you can since the media isn't.......thank you

Bill Text - 112th Congress (2011-2012) - THOMAS (Library of Congress):#

H.R. 1451: Post 9/11 GI Bill Payment Restoration Act (GovTrack.us)

H.R.1451: Post 9/11 GI Bill Payment Restoration Act - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    Couldn't agree with you more!! It makes me sick that the guys on capitol hill who are living more comfortably then 95% of the country would even consider taking anything from us! Not to mention, they'd save a lot more $$ cutting one or more of their many perks and most of them wouldn't even miss it.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Farkin sick. They'll reward parasites for reproducing, but the ones that put their lives on the line for us get tweaked with ***** like this. These retards need to have reality jammed up their exit ports with extra sand for lubricant.

dboz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Greenwood
    I never got BAH (housing allowance) when I was was in college in from 2002-2004, 2006-2007. My tuition was paid for and I got the GI bill stipend, and that was more than enough. I did not need to get a job, and I lived comfortably. And the benefits today are only higher. We have awesome benefits, and you get more than the people that have preceded you. So quit complaining about the couple of weeks a year that they pause your benefits, and be thankful that you get them in the first place.

Crashn2me1961

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    My dad retired from the U.S. Army in 1976. Since he has retired, he has seen little to no raise in his cost of living many of these years. His free medical now costs him, whether paying for additional insurance or out of pocket costs. The list goes on. He served two times in Vietnam and once in Korea ... along with several short temporary duty assignments that resulted in him being away from home over 40 percent of the time. IMO, if we start electing politicians that have served proudly in the military, we will start seeing positive changes.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I never got BAH (housing allowance) when I was was in college in from 2002-2004, 2006-2007. My tuition was paid for and I got the GI bill stipend, and that was more than enough. I did not need to get a job, and I lived comfortably. And the benefits today are only higher. We have awesome benefits, and you get more than the people that have preceded you. So quit complaining about the couple of weeks a year that they pause your benefits, and be thankful that you get them in the first place.

Depends on with Chapter of the GI Bill one qualifies for... ;)

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun

I don't really think your seeing the big picture here. Sure, the OP may have pointed out the BAH pause, but if you dig a little deeper they are seeking many more cuts and benefit terminations. I can tell you one thing, I have yet to use any of my benefits (with the exception of the 10% Lowes discount), my wife has awesome insurance and I paid for my school out of pocket while I was going, but I will complain each and every time the people living more comfortably then everyone else keep all their benefits and propose to take from those that assuredly need it more!

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Welcome back from la la land, the real world sucks doesnt it?

Nothing is gonna change unless congress is completely replaced, or better yet the system collapse so we can rebuild from the ground up.

CSORuger

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Brownsburg Indiana
    Veterans have been shafted since the begining !

The Bonus Army was the popular name of an assemblage of some 43,000 marchers—17,000 World War I veterans, their families, and affiliated groups—who gathered in Washington, D.C., in the spring and summer of 1932 to demand immediate cash-payment redemption of their service certificates. Its organizers called it the Bonus Expeditionary Force to echo the name of World War I's American Expeditionary Force, while the media called it the Bonus March. It was led by Walter W. Waters, a former Army sergeant.
    Many of the war veterans had been out of work since the beginning of the Great Depression. The World War Adjusted Compensation Act of 1924 had awarded them bonuses in the form of certificates they could not redeem until 1945. Each service certificate, issued to a qualified veteran soldier, bore a face value equal to the soldier's promised payment plus compound interest. The principal demand of the Bonus Army was the immediate cash payment of their certificates.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Welcome back from la la land, the real world sucks doesnt it?

Nothing is gonna change unless congress is completely replaced, or better yet the system collapse so we can rebuild from the ground up.

I don't know if you're trying to lecture a combat vet on the "real world" or simply trying to prove a point about our crappy government system...in any case............NOTHING will change as long as we have lazy, complacent civies expecting our government officials to hear their opinions through their silence and choosing to ignore their mistakes....................

take my post as "complaining" all you want under your own assumptions, because we all know what assuming does.....but it was merely a means to inform those who who don't know about it since the media hasn't covered it and allowing for those who don't agree with the action to do their part as an American citizen and write their opinions to their reps....rather than sitting back and accepting whatever is handed to them in what they consider the "real world" like a good sheeple..........

.I think the phrase would have been more appropriate to say "welcome back to la la land" on the premise that our government knows best, does everything in our best interest, and takes good care of us

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Lowes actually wants to see the VA ID card for proof I believe.....but I have avoided going to the VA for anything (regardless of my injuries) as I'm not much on free hand outs and believe in working hard for what you want/need....the only exception for me being the GI Bill simply because I cannot afford to attend school full time and provide for my family without the help ..or taking on an elevated position of employment which in turn would not allow for me to attend school anyway and thus defeats the purpose

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I don't know if you're trying to lecture a combat vet on the "real world" or simply trying to prove a point about our crappy government system...in any case............NOTHING will change as long as we have lazy, complacent civies expecting our government officials to hear their opinions through their silence and choosing to ignore their mistakes....................

take my post as "complaining" all you want under your own assumptions, because we all know what assuming does.....but it was merely a means to inform those who who don't know about it since the media hasn't covered it and allowing for those who don't agree with the action to do their part as an American citizen and write their opinions to their reps....rather than sitting back and accepting whatever is handed to them in what they consider the "real world" like a good sheeple..........

.I think the phrase would have been more appropriate to say "welcome back to la la land" on the premise that our government knows best, does everything in our best interest, and takes good care of us

Will contact our leaders and give them a serious ear full. over this crap, those on welfare need to be released from there burden. when they no longer have a roof over there heads and food in their bellyies they will become the most productive members of society.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I'm a 100% disabled 'Nam Vet. Please tell me more about the discount, and any more you may remember. Thanks
    I am to lazy to do it tonight, 14 Hours harvesting Soybeans will do that to ya, but I believe there was/is a Thread here about all the Vet Discounts that are available out there. I wanna say it was back in '08-'09'ish time frame... I might have this place confused with another Forum though....

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Will contact our leaders and give them a serious ear full. over this crap, those on welfare need to be released from there burden. when they no longer have a roof over there heads and food in their bellyies they will become the most productive members of society.

I see absolutely no problem at all with that... :popcorn:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

a quick reference to only ONE of at least dozens of career/job sites pulled up over 4,000 open jobs in Indianapolis area alone....................I guess people should quit expecting to be taken care of for absolutely nothing and start applying...or go back to school where loans/grants are based off income, NOT credit......of course this is assuming that many of these positions REQUIRE a degree however I doubt it for most...from personal experience I can assure you that salaries beyond national averages are fairly easy to obtain with only a high school education..........

I may not agree with the government's choice to cut benefits for those who have EARNED it and/or put their LIVES on the line for others to leech off their tax dollars...but I also don't agree with the government giving hand outs to anyone/everyone on my tax dollars without much restriction/regulation.......and I also still work as much as I can around classes rather than try to get more free money such as welfare/unemployment..........................

I'm all for helping those who TRULY need it, but to receive such help there should be requirement for sustained proof of attempting to better one's situation...when proof is cut off...so is their free ride.....far too many people abuse/take advantage of such programs because it's so easy......in any case I'm over the debate because it's distracting from the intent of the OP.....we can simply agree to disagree

Top Bottom