• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I started carrying again this Spring. Recently, alarms have starting going off when i pass thru the doors at Walmart, Home Depot, Rural King, etc. Nobody has really paid much attention, or they just say it's probably my phone, but if they do, how do i handle it? if i mention that it may be my gun, and that i have a ltch, will that possibly cause a scene? i can just imagine people screaming "OMG- she has a gun!" and calling police, etc.!

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    Don't inform them of a gun...... tell them it's your credit cards, one has a chip in it and it happens all the time...... they will shrug it off and you continue on your way...... Or you could just OC and get rid of the mystery :D

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    it is not your gun, unless your gun has an anti shoplift tag in it.. it is more likely your cell phone setting it off..
    check your coat & shoes for a shop lifting tag.. or ask a walmart greeter to scan your stuff with a hand held tag sensor ..

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So, does your new purse still have the RFID chip in it?:D

I've always just shrugged off the alarms. If anyone asks, it was my cell phone - does it all the time.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Ive never set one off while carrying. Id look at your phone or something. Do you carry a phone case with a magnet?

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I believe those detectors are set to go off when a special tag attached to an item isn't removed or deactivated. They are not metal detectors and should not go off because you are carrying a gun. I have walked thru literally thousands of them in 30 years and never had one go off. Metal detectors are very expensive pieces of equipment and I doubt Walmart or Home depot would spend money on such a machine. I always have a belt, coins, watch, gun, and keys on me, and they have never triggered the alarm. Something else on your person must be causing the alarm to go off, I don't believe its the gun.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    i can't think of anything new that i've been wearing or carrying during that time-frame! and i don't think it is in my purse, because one time the store clerk did question me, and she held it while i walked thru the door, and it still beeped. :dunno:

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    My stepson's coat ALWAYS sets off those alarms.... We have searched it high and low and haven't found any kind of item tag still attached...... :dunno:

Just tell them that your "smart card" credit card sets those off all the time and move along........ 100% not your gun though

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Must be your magnetic personality, then!

My wife had one of these silly RFID tags stuck inside a jacket once. Set alarms off randomly for most of the spring, until the tag came off in the laundry. You never know where those things are hiding.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    As stated upthread, your gun won't set off the RFID detector (that thing you walk through is not a metal detector). Check your shoe tread...you might have picked up a tag/chip/thingy.

Top Bottom