• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I believe draginfish is correct long guns can be sold for in to oh and oh to in but not
    handguns.

INCORRECT! IT IS AGAINST FEDERAL LAW TO TRADE OR SELL ANY FIREARM BETWEEN TWO NON-LICENSEES WHO ARE RESIDENTS OF DIFFERENT STATES!!!

Let me find the ATF stuff, one sec.

(B1) To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA? [Back]
    A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA? [Back]
    A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

(B3) May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State? [Back]
    A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]

Last edited:

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    INCORRECT! IT IS AGAINST FEDERAL LAW TO TRADE OR SELL ANY FIREARM BETWEEN TWO NON-LICENSEES WHO ARE RESIDENTS OF DIFFERENT STATES!!!

Let me find the ATF stuff, one sec.

Fixed it for you! ;)

Nate is correct, this has been discussed many times before here in different threads - I eventually contacted the ATF and it was confirmed that it is illegal.

This should be moved to a different thread.

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    Under secrtion B2 I guess then whoever can "RENT" either of these two firearms for a long period and fall under the guide lines!
    So does this mean that any wheelin and dealin and tradin that was done over the years (hypothetically speaking of course) between friends and relatives, lets say down home in Kentucky would have been illegal?

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Under secrtion B2 I guess then whoever can "RENT" either of these two firearms for a long period and fall under the guide lines!
    So does this mean that any wheelin and dealin and tradin that was done over the years (hypothetically speaking of course) between friends and relatives, lets say down home in Kentucky would have been illegal?

Wish I was a mod so I could move this...

If you're trying to outsmart the BATFE, that's not such a hot idea. If they want to get you, they can find out the truth, or change rulings as needed to get you. If the "down home" dealings involved residents of different states, then yes.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    One of my understandings is that if I sold a "RIFLE" to someone from Ohio they could legally come here to Indiana for a ftf transaction BUT we would still need to goto a FFL and transfer the rifle then the party from Ohio could take it with him. Handguns, well we all know it would have to go from Seller to FFL or FFL to FFL.

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    Yes its illegal, but that doesn't stop the people from OH/KY doing it at the Indy 1500 all the time. 1/2 the guys I asked to see guns they are carrying are from OH if you inquire.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    When did they change the rules? Yes I know, ATF changes the rules by the minute to suit their purposes. About 6 years ago I bought a rifle from a private individual in another state and the seller arrived in his "company car" wearing a jacket with large letters on the back. We had a nice chat, I handed him the money and he handed me the rifle.

I guess the way rules change lately, the best thing to do is stop buying firearms. That way you will always be legal.

NOT! ;)

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    When did they change the rules? Yes I know, ATF changes the rules by the minute to suit their purposes. About 6 years ago I bought a rifle from a private individual in another state and the seller arrived in his "company car" wearing a jacket with large letters on the back. We had a nice chat, I handed him the money and he handed me the rifle.

I guess the way rules change lately, the best thing to do is stop buying firearms. That way you will always be legal.

NOT! ;)

The way I've read it, and the way it's written, it's in the GCA (ie 18 USC 922). It was added to the code in 1970

102. Gun Control Act of 1968, 18 U.S.C. § 922(a) (1970).

So, what you did was in fact illegal. It's not a recent rule change, it's written law.

:twocents:

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    the best thing to do is stop buying firearms. That way you will always be legal.

NOT! ;)

It's not hard to legally buy firearms, if you can't afford $10-20 for an FFL transfer to cover your butt/follow federal law maybe you shouldn't buy a gun in the first place. :dunno:

But hey just my opinion

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    It's not hard to legally buy firearms, if you can't afford $10-20 for an FFL transfer to cover your butt/follow federal law maybe you shouldn't buy a gun in the first place. :dunno:

But hey just my opinion

I hear what you are saying Ben, but you will admit that the transfer is a PITA, wont you? It sucks that you have to go ask mom's permission. The hassle matters more than the "$10-20", at least to me. Further, a $10 transfer is a steal, isn't it? I've heard that Blythes is like $50. I have no strange visions that they are actually competitively priced, but isn't $20-30 normal? So I should add $30 to the cost of an out of state firearm? I know the answer is yes, just think it sucks.

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I hear what you are saying Ben, but you will admit that the transfer is a PITA, wont you? It sucks that you have to go ask mom's permission. The hassle matters more than the "$10-20", at least to me. Further, a $10 transfer is a steal, isn't it? I've heard that Blythes is like $50. I have no strange visions that they are actually competitively priced, but isn't $20-30 normal? So I should add $30 to the cost of an out of state firearm? I know the answer is yes, just think it sucks.

I agree that it does suck, Blythes is $50, places up here are crappy like that, I figured around Indy $10 was the norm. When I lived in Missouri $10 transfers could be found at 9 out of 10 places. Jerry's charges me $20.

I guess it's just a stupid law that I don't have a Huge problem with - compared to no carry/handgun ban in Chicago - which is well, another subject.

smb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I'm probably going to sell my shotgun to a Michigan resident. I just got off the phone with a Michigan FFL and He was SURE that I didn't have to go through an FFL. But after reading here and other forums it seems like I definitely have to go through an FFL. My question is: Can we complete the transaction through an FFL in Michigan (Buyers State or residence) or must we go through an FFL in Indiana(My state of residence) or does it matter at all what state the FFL is in (MI or IN). I figure its better to er on the side of legality when FELONIES are at stake.

Top Bottom