Can felons get their firearms rights back?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    So the brady handgun protection act says that felons cannot own firearms. I don't know any felons nor am I a felon. I was wondering since I've seem all these sites online that say felons can get their firearms and all other rights back is this true?

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    I remember several years ago I had friend who applied for "relief from disability" imposed by a felony conviction. It involved about a year of paperwork and legal assistance that cost several thousands of dollars. He was successful with the assistance and recommendations of the local chief of police and the circuit court judge. There was a specific office of the justice department that handled relief cases at that time, but it is my understanding that this office was defunded during the first Clinton administration. :twocents:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I know that criminal records can be expunged, but not sure if that applies to felons. It's my understanding that it's not a cheap or quick process to go through. :dunno:

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    We had a customer awhile back who was denied a firearm purchase. Turned out he was a convicted felon from dui's from about 20 years ago. He had straightened his life out, quit drinking, started a business, and all that good stuff. He hired an attorney and after several months and lots of money, the courts took his situation into account, saw he had stayed out of trouble for many years and had become a model citizen. They restored his gun rights. He came back after everything was finalized, purchased a firearm and passed the background check. So, it can be done.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    1. Expungment, which usually requires taking legal action and a significant amount of time from the offense. The nature of the felony can play a big part in this as well, mostly DUIs, it's going to be a much harder case to make if it's a violent act or major drug charge to say you can have access to firearms again

2. Pardon, going through the governor or presidents office.

Either way, I'd recommend not having to go that way in the first place.

PastorBlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Wabash
    I know a man starting the process right now to have an old felony (non-violent) expunged. The lawyer he talked to said that there was a good chance of expunging the records here in IN so he could get his rights back, but far less chance anywhere else in the country.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    So the brady handgun protection act says that felons cannot own firearms. I don't know any felons nor am I a felon. I was wondering since I've seem all these sites online that say felons can get their firearms and all other rights back is this true?

Its all about gun banning with you, eh? Well, my advice on this one--DON'T BECOME A FELON! :D

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    We had a customer awhile back who was denied a firearm purchase. Turned out he was a convicted felon from dui's from about 20 years ago. He had straightened his life out, quit drinking, started a business, and all that good stuff. He hired an attorney and after several months and lots of money, the courts took his situation into account, saw he had stayed out of trouble for many years and had become a model citizen. They restored his gun rights. He came back after everything was finalized, purchased a firearm and passed the background check. So, it can be done.

I've heard stories like this before. They usually involve the person going before a judge many years later and admitting that they were a dip $#!% in their youth. Weren't we all though?

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    There are many variables

A felon can have cerrtain rights like the right to vote or bare arms. There are big issues like minimum time as in seven years and the nature of conviction. Drug dealers may without further legal issue be eligible after so many years and a lawyer with judicial approval be eligible for such expungements, however a violent crime may never be expunfed and will take much longer than seven years if at all. The nature of conviction is a very important factor.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Criminal cases can be expunged under Indiana law under certain circumstances:

1. A vacation of the conviction by the Indiana Court of Appeals or the Supreme Court.

2. A Petition for Post Conviction Relief (like a civil suit against the state saying your civil rights were violated).

3. A pardon.

4. A finding by the trial court that there was no probable cause to file the case.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    once you get your stuf expunged , you have to apply to get your rights back..... basically money money

You have to apply? I do not understand but what you mean, could you please elaborate on this?

Money, money? Well, it depends, after obtaining pardons, which are flat fee, I usually do the expungement for free. Depend if it is flat fee or per hour.

If it is an expungement from a Court of Appeals or Supreme Court decision (or even trial court), another fee is usually in order but that it detailed in the contract.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs

Good question. But are you asking because you're considering going over to the dark side??

Top Bottom