• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • harmonn@att.net

Plinker
    Sep 8, 2011
    Sold my pre-2000 made in Spain (if I would of know that, I would of bought it! Ah, I bought it used anyway.) muzzle loader last winter. Should a would a could a killed a deer, but the percussion cap did not fire that evening. Now I already have a list of guns I'm looking at for the moment, but would like to find a nice muzzle loader that loads easily, cleans easily, and fires well. I know the new 209 primers are almost a guarantee, so it is pretty much what brand do you like best? Did a lot of research last year and had it narrowed down to TCA or Knight. I haven't looked at them since I decided not to purchase one. Anyone like the ability of changing out barrels and making a whole different gun from one? What about the break downs? Also, does the nickel coated barrel really help in ease of cleaning? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    sounds like your refering to the tc encore/prohunter. they are my favorite muzzleloaders on the market. ive never held/shot one i liked better and ive tried most every muzzleloader out there. i didn't change barrels much i had a diffrent gun for diffrent purposes.

if i were to buy a muzzleloader today i would buy a tc omega. i like the prohunter better than the omega but not 400 dollars better. the omega can be bought at walmart for 275ish. the prohunter will run 650ish.

PsYcHo SqUiRrEl

Plinker
    Jul 23, 2008
    Greenetucky
    I love my TC Omega Z5. I have a 3x9 scope on it. Shooting 110gr of Blackhorn 209, regular Winchester 209 primers, and TC Shockwave 250gr polymer tip, it will group 1" or less at 100yrds depending if I do my part.

As far as accuracy, I've found the Blackhorn 209 to be MUCH cleaner and hotter than 777 that I used to shoot.

When cleaning while shooting 777, make sure you use either water or something non petroleum based such as No. 13 bore cleaner and lube the bore with bore butter.

If you use Blackhorn 209, you can use petroleum based products like you would any other firearm. It usually takes me two wet patches, a dry patch, then some CLP for the final patch to clean the bore. It's quite a bit more expensive than 777 or Pyrodex, but for me the ease of cleaning and accuracy I get from it is worth the price.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    What is your procedure for accuracy? Is this cold clean barrel? Do you clean/whipe-down after every shot, or just reload and it'll shoot accurate all day?

indygunworks and i did a pretty extensive test on this a few years ago. ill try and find the post. we shot 200ish rds in 2 days if i remember correctly. i know my prohunter shot best on rd 2-5 accuracy deminished after that. if i ran a 20 ga brush threw it 1 time it would clean it enough to regain accuracy and act like rd 2. at the end of the year i would clean it really well, but before i started working on the next year id shoot a rd just to foul the barrel.

indys z5 i think shot good for the first 5 and after that he started loosing accuracy.

Mike H

Expert
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    What is your procedure for accuracy? Is this cold clean barrel? Do you clean/whipe-down after every shot, or just reload and it'll shoot accurate all day?

I am using Blackhorn powder [100 gr.] a 250 gr. T/C Shockwave, and a WW 209 primer.
    No cleaning between shots with Blackhorn. I have just started using it this year and I am amazed at the results. The T/C superglides slide down the barrel with no problem.
    With this load I am getting 1 1/2" groups at 100 yds. off the bench.
    Clean up is pretty easy too. Non corrosive.
    Give it a shot!

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    My favorite was a reproduction Remington 1858 in .44 caliber, although I no longer have it ...I use to shoot it quite often.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom