• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I bought my first (hand)gun last month and have been to ECPR and Pop's one time each and have enjoyed it. So I think I'd like to join a club so I can shoot more frequently.

I have read good things about ACC here on the forums so I emailed their membership person about starting the process. I had even joined the NRA a couple weeks ago because ACC requires it and I thought it'd be a good place. Unfortunately, he wasn't really encouraging and told me I needed to get a .22 pistol so I can compete in the steel matches before I can join. I asked about just helping out because I'm not comfortable shooting in a competition yet (remember, just 2 times to the range, and the site says you can help instead of competing), and he said they have plenty of help and I'd better just compete. I think that I'd pretty much embarrass myself if I went out there and tried to compete with them, and I'd really rather not buy a new gun to do so. I feel like I was basically told that a new person really isn't welcome there and that I should go somewhere else to get experience first... (can't get a job without experience, can't get experience without a job.. same sort of situation).

I live in Fishers which makes HCFG pretty close, but their website says they are closed to new members right now and will open that back up in 2012 sometime. It's just 9 miles away, but I really can't tell much about their facility to see if someone that's mainly interested in shooting handguns would be well served. I think it's the most expensive.

Fall Creek Valley Conservation Club is the next closest place at about 20 miles away. I really don't know much about it. Then MCFG is 31 miles away. I've been there twice and used the bays.

So, of those three clubs - HCFG, FCVCC, and MCFG - which would be best for a new person that is mostly interested in shooting handguns and possibly exploring the competitions at some point down the road? Keep in mind the distance I am from each, and that I'd be more likely to drive less miles..

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I bought my first (hand)gun last month and have been to ECPR and Pop's one time each and have enjoyed it. So I think I'd like to join a club so I can shoot more frequently.

I have read good things about ACC here on the forums so I emailed their membership person about starting the process. I had even joined the NRA a couple weeks ago because ACC requires it and I thought it'd be a good place. Unfortunately, he wasn't really encouraging and told me I needed to get a .22 pistol so I can compete in the steel matches before I can join. I asked about just helping out because I'm not comfortable shooting in a competition yet (remember, just 2 times to the range, and the site says you can help instead of competing), and he said they have plenty of help and I'd better just compete. I think that I'd pretty much embarrass myself if I went out there and tried to compete with them, and I'd really rather not buy a new gun to do so. I feel like I was basically told that a new person really isn't welcome there and that I should go somewhere else to get experience first... (can't get a job without experience, can't get experience without a job.. same sort of situation).

I live in Fishers which makes HCFG pretty close, but their website says they are closed to new members right now and will open that back up in 2012 sometime. It's just 9 miles away, but I really can't tell much about their facility to see if someone that's mainly interested in shooting handguns would be well served. I think it's the most expensive.

Fall Creek Valley Conservation Club is the next closest place at about 20 miles away. I really don't know much about it. Then MCFG is 31 miles away. I've been there twice and used the bays.

So, of those three clubs - HCFG, FCVCC, and MCFG - which would be best for a new person that is mostly interested in shooting handguns and possibly exploring the competitions at some point down the road? Keep in mind the distance I am from each, and that I'd be more likely to drive less miles..

I think Friday Night Steel (FNS) at MCFG is the best way to get involved in competition shooting. Its very relaxed, not about safety, but the competition and rule side of things is very relaxed. There is a very wide array of skill level out there and im sure you would have fun. Also, you don't need a .22 to shoot steel. Whatever handgun you bought would do fine as long as you have enough mags.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Right now, I'm not that interested in shooting competitively. I'm interested in practicing shooting so that I can at least hit my target without any sort of pressure on me :laugh: Once I can get some accuracy down (I'm left handed, right eyed, and am struggling to get my left eye to cooperate), then I can think about the various competitions.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

If you get up to the Lafayette area ever, just stop in to Applied Ballistics to shoot. They welcome everyone. And give me a shout, I'll go shoot with ya. I realize it is a ways to travel. But the offer stands.

I usually shoot about once a week, either Friday night or Saturday, depending on son's sports schedules. And I jsut shoot for fun, practice, and relaxation.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN

That's unfortunate, and I think your reasoning for wanting to "help" as opposed to shooting in an event makes perfect sense. You're not comfortable shooting in a competition event, and would have preferred to help set-up, register people and maybe even help tear down.

I'm a member at ACC, and I really enjoy the close proximity to my house and the outdoor bays (which I have one all to myself when shooting).

The ACC website says "shoot OR help in 2 events". If that's not accurate, they need to change the website. If it were me and I really liked the location of ACC, I would email a few more board members and tell them about your experience. :twocents:

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I'm a member at ACC, and I really enjoy the close proximity to my house and the outdoor bays (which I have one all to myself when shooting).

That is what's most appealing to me - those bays. I can take my time and go check targets pretty much whenever I want to. It's 17 miles to ACC from my house.. further than HCFG but the facility looks like it'd be good for what I want to do.

The ACC website says "shoot OR help in 2 events". If that's not accurate, they need to change the website. If it were me and I really liked the location of ACC, I would email a few more board members and tell them about your experience. :twocents:
    The way the guy responded made me think that I wasn't going to get much further in the process if I didn't go shoot, so I'll just look elsewhere. No sense in trying to join when I feel unwelcome :) I guess having three other places to pick from isn't a bad thing.

And thanks jgreiner; I don't make it up there ever though.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    No competitions required at MCF&G but it is there if you want.

I don't shoot competition for much the same reasons as you, but I have been shooting for quite a while.

I am a member at MCF&G and would recommend it to someone like yourself without any concern or reservation about doing so.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Fall Creek Valley Conservation Club is a really nice private shooting range, generally really good folks out there with plenty of activities if you ever get interested in competitive shooting events.

Granted not EVERY competitive shooting event is offered but all of them are always a really good time, at least in my 12 or so years of being a member there.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    you do not have to be competitive at friday night steel down here in indy at mcfg. i went last week and placed second to last and had an absolute blast. there are a lot of people you can learn a lot from at the events as well as a range officer staring over your shoulder making sure you dont do anything stupid (or at least will make you aware of it if you do).

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Thanks for the info so far. I visited Indy Trading Post today and bought a 10 pass visit to their new range, so that should keep me occupied for the next month or so ;) And help me work on my "aiming problems" -- if you saw my targets from today you'd understand. Maybe I'll feel more comfortable trying to shoot steel or bowling pins in a couple months.

See, it's not that I'm not interested at all, it's that I'm not interested right now. I do have a competitive streak in me and I would want to be in a position to make myself next to last instead of last!

I'm familiar with MCFG, but I wouldn't object to a 10 cent tour of any of the other three places.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom