• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I have been trying to accumulate firearms to keep forever. I found myself last month looking at and wanting to buy Marlin 60, but never did. My reasoning for such a smaller caliber rifle is, well, I am wanting to someday introduce both of my children to the wonderful gun culture.

But I am wondering what caliber to start with? For my girl, I was thinking something that does not kick, and it not loud. (marlin 60/1022)

I actually also bought a good little Pumpmaster BB gun. The front sight cants in whatever direction it is bumped, but I can still hit stuff with it.

What IS the best firearm, and what IS the best presentation and age for introduction?

This topic has been covered somewhere before I am sure, feel free to direct me or reference if so.

Eric

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    My daughter learned on a Ruger 10/22. She was 12 when she actively began shooting.

Recoil seemed less of an issue for her than muzzle flash and noise; that is just as true today as it was a couple years ago. She has no problems with a full size 9mm handgun but dislikes a compact 9mm because of the increased flash. She shoots an AR15 with 22 conversion insert and loves that, but will only shoot a 223/5.56 out of a long barrel AR, not out of a 16" barrel.

Bhriindan82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    West Indy
    I learned on a Marlin, and later on a 10/22...can't go wrong with either one in my opinion. If you get the 10/22, you can introduce them fairly easily into the world of customizing your own firearm too, since there's a ton of stuff you can do to them.

Kcustom45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Brownsburg
    You really cannot go wrong with a .22 as a starter gun. But more importantly if you do not already have a .22 rifle you need to buy one anyway. :)

I started with a S&W 422 .22 semi-auto handgun when I was 4 years old. I still shoot that gun on occasion.

Depending on what age you start them shooting I would think that the weight of the gun might be a bigger issue unless you have them bench shoot it until they are strong enough to hold it steady.

Whatever you decide to do make sure you go over gun safety MULTIPLE times. Have fun and be sure to report back when you do take them shooting.

schwaky18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Lizton, IN (Hendricks County)
    introduction- one day old
    Handling- when they are "old enough" you must judge your own kids
    Best firearm- bb first then move to a .22 then move up from there (IMO).

There are lots of threads on here about introducting kids to firearms.

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    I started my oldest son with an El'cheapo Daisy single pump at home at about age 4. At about that time I started bringing him out to the desert with me to shoot "his"BB gun, well supervised by all adults in the shooting group. When he was ready he asked to shoot my 10/22, with me always being in physical contact with him and the weapon.. He soon graduated to my AR again with me being in physical contact..

I attempted the same procedure with my youngest but he showed little interest until he was about 8 years old and at age 9 is still content with the 10/22.

FWIW/YMMV. ;)

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Handling-My sons are 3.6 years and 2 years respectively. I have allowed both to handle my guns. My daughter is 7 months. She does not seem interested much.

I shot a Marlin youth bolt action .22 the summer I turned 4. It seems like a good age to me, and a good rifle to introduce kids to the sport.

I wouldn't bother with a bb gun. bb guns are toys, and are treated as such.

The best firearm and age of introduction are both subjective.

For introduction to handguns, I will use my Ruger Single Six.

The first gun I give my kids individually as a present will probably be a 10/22.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    My daughter is 12 and loves the 10/22. She was introduced to firearms at 6 though with a 22 bolt action Cricket(wood stock not pink). She loves shooting with dad and it is always some of the best quality time we have. She has great respect for firearms,and about a year ago I received a phone call from another parent thanking me.Apparently her and some friends where at the other parents house and a gun cabinet was unlocked. The 2 other girls had no firearms experience what so ever and wanted to "play" with them.My daughter called the parent immediately and told the mom she was standing in front of the cabinet and not letting anyone touch them.The dad came home from work,thanked her and called me. Apparently I am doing something right :) I have since talked to the dad,and the other girls about firearm safety. The dad still thinks his girls do not need to learn to shoot(which I do not understand).Teach them safety and respect for firearms,it very well could save their life and the lives of others. :D

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    In the 4H shooting sports program we work with youth every year that have never handled a firearm. We have found that a .22 rifle/pistol and/or a .20 ga. shotgun are the best way to go. As far as if it is a 10/22 or a marlin 60 really does not matter as both are excellant guns. My dad bought me a marlin as my first rifle when I was 11 years old and Iam now 51 and that gun has went through both of my sons and it will still handle the grandyounguns.
    The most important thing is to make the sport fun and interesting to them so they will want to continue to reach for the next level. Look around your area for a structured organization of some kind where they can get involved and be around youth of their age.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I think there is something to be said about starting out with a manual action .22 rifle. By that I mean a level, bolt or pump. While it is fun to "dump a mag" on a 10/22, it doesn't help teach shooting skills. It is also nice to have an added safety factor of not automatically chambering a round after being fired. (I know, a 10/22 can be shot accurately and slowly, but a manual rifle help enforce this.)

Maybe I'm just being nostalgic for my first bolt that was stolen, instead of given to my future son or daughter.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    :oldwise:
    I think there is something to be said about starting out with a manual action .22 rifle. By that I mean a level, bolt or pump. While it is fun to "dump a mag" on a 10/22, it doesn't help teach shooting skills. It is also nice to have an added safety factor of not automatically chambering a round after being fired. (I know, a 10/22 can be shot accurately and slowly, but a manual rifle help enforce this.)

Maybe I'm just being nostalgic for my first bolt that was stolen, instead of given to my future son or daughter.

:+1: with what indyjoe said. I too am from the old school.:oldwise: Teach them with a bolt gun, preferably single shot. Not only does this aid in teaching marksmanship, I believe that it is safer than an auto. I especially like the rifles that have to be cocked after working the bolt to empty the chamber and feed a new round. They can learn on their own later how much fun it is to shoot rapid fire with a semi-auto:ar15:.

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    Nothing better than a good lever action 22 rifle. I like the Henry because the action is silky smooth and they shoot well.

I have some Extreme 10/22 rifles also that the grandsons will shoot after they learn to shoot safely and can handle a semi-automatic.

22 pistols should be used to introduce them to shooting pistols also.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I"ll put a third vote in for IndyJoe's opinion. I learned with an old Winchester Pump .22. A bolt gun or some kind of single shot is also good. With a semi-atup, it's too easy to learn to spray and pray. Also, there is little movement so you don't get as much practice with acquiring a sight picture. With a bolt, lever, pump or other manual repeater or single shot, you have to get a new sight picture after each shot. I think there is merit in that. Also, learnign Iron sights is better at first. My brother plans to teach his kids to shoot with a scope as it's easier and in his words "What do you ever shoot that doesn't have a scope in it?" Well, he's a hunter, not a shooter like me, and they are his kids, so how can I argue. Me, I've got a 14 month old boy and he will learn with an old Ithaca single shot lever action. It's safe to carry loaded with the hammer down, so it will be good to take out hunting when he's ready. It's light and very accurate. I've got scoped semi-auto .22's and will surely have more by the time he's old enough to shoot, but those are for later on. He'll learn the hard way first and then move on from there! I have taught many people to shoot and have always worked up from a .22 rifle. Sometimes I have started folks off with iron sights, and had them be very dissapointed when the missed. A little shooting with a scope will help keep interest up with easy hits, but Irons must be learned! A good .22 pistol is an excellent learnign tool as well. I like my old S&W K-22, but a good taurus, or ruger revolver is an excellent choice as well and the Ruger .22 autopisotls are something that every gun owner should have!

Best of luck with your kids and I hope they continue on with your love of shooting.

Doug K

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Another in favor of a .22 bolt action. I learned at about 12 years old on my Dad's old Reminton bolt 22. I still have that rifle. It was made between 1938 -40. I think the manual action is the best for safety and for learning the basics. Auto-loaders should be introduced once the student has mastered the basics and has exhibited instinctive application of the safety rules.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Sean's (my son) first gun was a Cricket .22 LR. He was five, and it was the perfect gun. He is 9 y/o now, has a Savage MK1 that he earned with a full year of straight A's last year.

.22s are the perfect round for boys and girls to learn on and I, for one, have never tired of shooting them. The .22LR is, IMHO, probably one of the most useful cartridges out there.

My boy no longer has his Cricket. I traded him my old Sears Model 1 single shot bolt action for it, so I could get the little gun put into storage for my grandkids (which had better be at least 10 years away!) The neat thing is that that old Sears belonged to my Dad (a wedding present from my Mom), then it was mine, now it's on it's third generation. Sean understand's the importance of this and is looking forward to passing it on to Gen 4.

The time on the range with his mother and me, and in the hunting fields, is utterly irreplaceable.

Sean firing his first round:
    Shooting7-17-04_0212.jpg

The results of his first couple rounds:
    Shooting7-17-04_0231_1.jpg

Deer hunting
    100_2586_1.jpg

Worn out:
    100_2548.jpg

hippykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Johnson Co.
    First thing I ever shot was a BB gun, then on to .22 handguns... And from there an sks, then onto an m1 garand in 30.06. My grandfather was a hell of a guy.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Exactly, Joe. Dad's old Remington that I used to learn about shooting was also used to start out Epsylum and his older brother. I fully intend to see that it is used to teach the grandson and will be passed down the line. We also have the Cricket that Epsylum bought for his nephew last year at age 6. He was drilling him on the rules of gun safety already.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I started my children with a toy rifle. When they proved they could handle that safely we moved up to a BB gun. Then a bolt action 22.
    A toy rifle gets them started with firearms responsibilty very early.
    Nothing was used until we basically had classroom. In this we went over the safety rules, including carrying positions, then we went outside and walked through it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom