• NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    :yesway: :yesway:

That is a fabulous article!
    And it takes over an hour for anyone to respond? Hmmm......

One of the things I do at a range is try to get the most far right hand positions because of what the article calls the "side racker." Can't begin to tell you how many barrels of loaded guns have been pointed at me by "side rackers." Even more egregious is the "back racker," which is a side racker who continues on to 180 degrees to point the gun everyone behind the line, too.

Folks, strongly suggest we read and re-read this article and take it all to heart.

Last edited:

Mad Brew

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Franklin
    I dig all the photo examples using the training barrel. Need to get some high res versions and craft them into a nice poster!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Great read!
    We can never worry too much about safety when we handle tools designed to kill people.
    I dont agree with one minor thing in this article though, when you are using a training barrel on a real gun you are still breaking the safety rules.
    Sure it's safe to do so in that case but that's still breaking the rules.
    I know some people that wont even point a "blue gun" training gun at anyone.

aronhubbard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    Great read!
    I dont agree with one minor thing in this article though, when you are using a training barrel on a real gun you are still breaking the safety rules.
    Sure it's safe to do so in that case but that's still breaking the rules.
    I know some people that wont even point a "blue gun" training gun at anyone.

Are they? The rules refer to "guns". Is a gun with a plastic dummy barrel a "gun"? Technicalities aside, you have to break rules to illustrate them being broken, unless you want to resort to literal illustrations, of course.

I'm pretty sure I've been the Dangler from time to time, so I appreciated the reminder!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Are they? The rules refer to "guns". Is a gun with a plastic dummy barrel a "gun"? Technicalities aside, you have to break rules to illustrate them being broken, unless you want to resort to literal illustrations, of course.

I'm pretty sure I've been the Dangler from time to time, so I appreciated the reminder!

It's just depend how you see the rules.If you see them as "all the guns are always loaded" then even a gun with a dummy barrel is still a gun, even the frame of your gun (without slide or barrel) is stil a gun.
    Of course we couldn't clean them if they were truelly always loaded.

I know that you have to break rules to illustrate them, and I have nothing against that, it was obviously done safely.

My point is just that when the article says "we are using a training barrel so no rules were broken" that is wrong in my opinion, rules are broken in that case but it's to teach gun safety so that's ok.
    You are right it comes to technicalities so it's not really important. :)

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I know they were trying to make illustrations of "what not to do", but using that training barrel seems to me would let you get into bad habits you'd have to unlearn. I'd kind of rather have the dangerous one to force me to be conscious of what I'm doing, like learning to drive with an actual car vs a simulator.

Ebux

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Great article. I'm definitely going to pay attention to those the next time I'm at a range. Both to myself and those around me.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    "The Spinner" - Oops guilty as charged. I have done that before. :noway: Good idea about marking the case. Now where is that sharpie?

Not a "Side Racker" but I have accidently rolled the gun to the side like that. Not cool at all. Even broke the all important 180 degree rules. Big time bad Mojo and something that I do not intend to repeat ever again.

Illusionary Superiority. Nothing like that ever happens on an internet forum!

Nice find OP

Tebow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Whiting, IN
    Great article!

Couple months ago I was at Debs with a buddy, he was in a lane shooting and I was at his 7o'clock watching. A guy and his girl were in the lane to my friends left. It looked like her first time shooting. She was blasting away with a Glock 21 and out of nowhere she just turns half around to say something to her bf. All while keeping her finger on the trigger and the Glock pointed directly at my friend! There is a divider but I doubt they're bullet proof. I immediately motioned to her to point it down-range and told her to watch where she points a loaded gun and finger off the trigger.

Safety first people!!

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    I saw this too, and found it very useful. Even for a gun expert or trained LEO sometimes complacency slips in... Nobody ever wants to admit it though. It is a great reminder and I have forwarded this to a lot of people. +1 for the "personal liberty digest" too.

Top Bottom