• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spanky_27

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Columbus
    Just wondering if any of you all ever used 3-IN-ONE oil on your guns. an older buddy said he has been usin it for years just wondering if anyone else has.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I firmly believe "gun oil" comes from the same factories as every other oil.

As I've said elsewhere. I'm using High temp wheel bearing grease. $2.76 for a 1lb tub of it. Should last the rest of my life.

WinChoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Alexandria
    Just wondering if any of you all ever used 3-IN-ONE oil on your guns. an older buddy said he has been usin it for years just wondering if anyone else has.

That's the only oil I use on my personal firearms. Used to get it in the metal can. Last time I bought some similar oil it was in a plastic bottle like everything else seems to be.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I firmly believe "gun oil" comes from the same factories as every other oil.

As I've said elsewhere. I'm using High temp wheel bearing grease. $2.76 for a 1lb tub of it. Should last the rest of my life.

+1, I use black lithium grease on parts that slide, CLP on everything else. The connector on my Glock gets a once every 5 shootings drop of Rem Oil (in my experience, the stuff with the teflon dries, leaving a dry film that keeps dirt from accumulating). Lately, I have been skipping the grease and using CLP IN the barrel/finish surfaces and LP (hard as all get out to find) on slide rails and lubing areas.

3:1 oil is really for stuff like sewing machines or door locks (and even then, there are better items available for that, like graphite). I used to horse with 3:1 when I was younger and found that it gummed with age. Lots of folks will also think that WD-40 is good for guns and they use it alot, but in reality, it gums and provides little protection (though it is a great water displacer). Motor oil is a debateable oil, also ATF. ATF doesnt have enough corrosion resistance. Used motor oil (going Afghan on your gun) should be left for chainsaw chains and even then its not a good idea (acids in used oils).

All that aside, gun oil (in all it's forms) is for guns. 3:1 is for Singers and other small machines that reside in temperature controlled environments.

Hoosier8

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I use CLP Breakfree, its good enough for the Marines.

Yes, but the Marines are underfunded and, like the shuttle, the lowest bidder wins.

As for longer lasting protection from rust if you tend to leave them in the safe very long, I would recommend Ezzox. Ezzox wins overall in that regard with CLP second. CLP is cheaper though.

I'm still using WD-40, so I'm sure someone will be along shortly to straighten me out

The WD in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement. It is not the best gun oil but it is superb for use after a soapy water wash after using corrosive ammo.

I do use CLP the most because of the cost.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Yes, but the Marines are underfunded and, like the shuttle, the lowest bidder wins.

As for longer lasting protection from rust if you tend to leave them in the safe very long, I would recommend Ezzox. Ezzox wins overall in that regard with CLP second. CLP is cheaper though.

The WD in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement. It is not the best gun oil but it is superb for use after a soapy water wash after using corrosive ammo.

I use all my guns frequenty and this old dog just like pretending he is still an ACTIVE duty Marine. I too am underfunded so its a good fit. :D

Last edited:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    CLP is all you need. When the Govt. specs for CLP were first published everyone said it could not be acheived. It was. Been using it for more than 20 years and still haven't found anything better. WD 40 is for rusted out Ford pickups, not for guns. And God bless all Marines.

kong1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Pendleton
    Fluid Film

I have used Fluid Film on all my guns for a long time. It works great on slides and all moving parts and I like it better than CLP. It leaves a lubricating film that lasts and lasts and will even remove mild surface rust. I've used it on all my competition shotguns that I have owned and did a lot of research since these guns are way too expensive to trust to just anything.

Fluid Film® | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I use all my guns frequenty and this old dog just like pretending he is still a Marine. I too am underfunded so its a good fit. :D

I thought it was once a Marine always a Marine?

And there are only 2 kinds of Marines. live ones and dead ones.
    I prefer the live ones, they get to come back and cause more grief and misery for our enemies! :patriot:

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I thought it was once a Marine always a Marine?

And there are only 2 kinds of Marines. live ones and dead ones.
    I prefer the live ones, they get to come back and cause more grief and misery for our enemies! :patriot:

You are right, I fixed it.

I use all my guns frequenty and this old dog just like pretending he is still an ACTIVE duty Marine. I too am underfunded so its a good fit. :D

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip

WD-40 is also handy if you go hunting in snow storms or get caught in the rain, and won't be able to get your gun apart and thoroughly cleaned and dried very quickly.

Top Bottom