• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    My good friend was at the Henryville range today shooting is PSA AR. He got finished and locked the rifle in the back seat of his truck. He came back from a hike and the AR was gone. He filed a police report.
    Here are the details on his rifle:
    PSA lower with "Don't treat on me" in graves. Upper is a PSA M4A1 hammer forged barrel with all Green hardware with green MBUS flip up rear sights and Magpul verticals grip.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    He was parked at a shooting range, locked his rifle in the back seat in plain view (I assume in a case), and then went for a hike and expected his rifle to still be there when he got back? I'm just making sure I read that right.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    He was parked at a shooting range, locked his rifle in the back seat in plain view (I assume in a case), and then went for a hike and expected his rifle to still be there when he got back? I'm just making sure I read that right.

That's correct except he put the case under the rear seat, not in plain sight. The person did not break the window? They were able to unlock the door.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Once was the time you did not mess with other peoples "stuff". Period. Now it is the owner of the "stuff" that is at fault? It should not matter if it was on the hood of his vehicle. If it is not yours, do not mess with it.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Once was the time you did not mess with other peoples "stuff". Period. Now it is the owner of the "stuff" that is at fault? It should not matter if it was on the hood of his vehicle. If it is not yours, do not mess with it.
    EXACTLY!

Sorry for your loss O.P. :( and I hope you find the low-life, bottom feeder.... :xmad:

threedhuntr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Howard county

EXACTLY!

Sorry for your loss O.P. :( and I hope you find the low-life, bottom feeder.... :xmad:

++++ 1. That really SUCKS!

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN

To be fair, I'm not sure that it would matter at a range. If a thief sees an unlocked car (or can easily tamper with the lock), I'm sure they are going to have a look whether or not something is visible. Add in the fact that the thrift probably saw the owner walk off after having just shot a nice rifle, it really doesn't suprise me that someone would just waltz in and try to steal it.

An unfortunate lesson learned, it is legal to do so, so take your nicest firearms with you on that after range hike.

strongcrow

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy Central

I totally agree with this. I had a 9MM SBR with s YHM Supressor stolen out of the front seat of my Cherokee on Christmas Eve a couple years back. MINE IS MINE, Keep the F**K away from it. But it's not the way of the world in 2012. Yes the Victim is responsible. I stil hear crap from the guys in the gunshop where I had mine stolen while parked in front of their place of business. :ranton:

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Whoever did that was prepared and looking for the right opportunity. He was prepared to enter a locked vehicle quickly without drawing attention. I doubt that this was some random guy who stumbled upon a locked vehicle in a parking lot. A friend of mine works out at the YMCA. He always removes his holster and puts the gun in the center console of his truck. He was in the gym for 30 minutes. When he came out, the gun was gone. Same situation - the truck was definitely locked by the owner and no sign of break-in.

I hope your friend can recover his gun.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Agreed.

While it is prudent to lock your valuables, it is not your fault when/if somebody steals it.

Here's hoping your friend retrieves his property.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Thieves **** me off!!!

Solution; cut their hands off to indicate they were thieves.

Oh yeah, I forgot the second part, hang them in the public square with a sign around their necks. But use inexperienced hang men and then have a pool on whether he bleeds out first or die of suffocation. Make it a 50/50 to cover the costs so it's cost neutral for the county.

And yes, I'm serious.

Top Bottom