• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Ok, going to be refinishing another stock, and my last one I tried (and is still in-progress) was with Boiled Linseed Oil, and didn't turn out great...

I've had Tung Oil recommended by several people, as well as seeing a "magic elixir" on another forum of Armor-All and Tung Oil I think, with some fantastic results shown...

My question is this:
    I'm assuming I can stain before the Tung Oil, I hope so, because I'm thinking of doing something interesting, just not sure exactly what yet. But if I stain before Tung Oil, should it be water-based or oil-based stain?
    I wasn't sure if it needed to be OIL-based to be compatible with the tung OIL, or water-based so as to NOt mix/interact with the tung oil...?

Mat250

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I can tell you from my painting experience to never put oil based over water based. You can put water over oil but not the other way around. I think stains are an exception, I would stain it like you want then use some truoil. Truoil can be applied over water based stains and dyes. It takes a lot of coats but looks great when it's done. $.02

clelaj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indy - North
    Ditto what Mat250 said. I recently used Tru-Oil buffed with 0000 to knock down the shine on my Marlin stock and very pleased.
    picture.php

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    When doing the military stocks, if it is a Birch or Beech wood I used an alcohol base mix and leather dye/stain mix. The last carbine was birch and I used a leather dye (Fiebings) mixed 3 parts denatured alcohol to 1 part dye. I have seen guys use Rit dye/alcohol mix with good results. I mixed a small amount of walnut water based stain with it to keep it from being too red. You can mix more denatured alcohol in (4/1) if you think its too dark or too red.
    A nicer walnut wood shouldnt require as much work. I used a water stain one. **IF you use an oil based stain and try to use Boiled Linseed Oil or anything like that it seems to go badly, from my experience.** If you want to do a tru-oil or min wax style shiney finish, then the oil based will work. Wipe off excess and let it dry before
    final seal coat.

BELOW PICS are the Carbine before and after, my goal was the rich brown/red USGI look.
    picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    picture.php

Disclaimer - Rank Amateur here practicing on gun stocks that were trashed. So, take with my warning.

The below picture is of the 3 stocks I've worked on. The top 2 are oil based Min Wax finishes. The wood was a light , possibly pine or birch but I'm not sure. Not a good quality stock. I used an oil base with a tru oil finish on the bolt .22 and a polyurethane on the Marlin .22 semik auto.
    The darker semi auto stock I got by mixing some of the dark brown leather dye with the stain, only a few drops in a small cup. I WOULD NOT TRY LINSEED OR TUNG ON THESE.
    The Garand was pale and faded, finish a mess. I lightly sanded it (very light, not to take out the dings but to even it out) It is a nice piece of USGI walnut so I used water based walnut stain. I then slowly did the Linseed Oil process over a couple weeks, once a day, hand rub with the grain, wipe excess, let dry. In this process I used a Raw Linseed Oil, which started out with an orange oil/linseed mix. Very slow drying oil, raw linseed. I didnt drown the stock in it, just light and hand rub over a couple weeks.
    The final two coats were Tom's 1/3 mix paste of linseed/turpentine/beeswax.
    picture.php

Last edited:

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Well what I'm playing with at the moment is a Bubba'd (until a replacement stock is purchased) Mosin stock, and before the purists protest, it was a non-numbers matching 91/30, nothing special, but a decent shooter.

I'm looking at stripping the stock down, and doing something like a green translucent stain before the Tung oil, something different from a standard "wood" color, maybe blue, or red, or grey... unsure yet, depends on what I find that catches my eye... Saw a nice evergreen translucent today, as well as a dark brown Kona wood stain that was interesting as well...

Just something to slap it in until I decide on a Boyds or Richards, or whatever else I find out there...

Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    My first try, and gun, i refinished with boiled linseed oil. Stripped the finish off and then wet sanded through the numbers. Then I applied a bunch of linseed oil. I think it looks great!

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    My first try, and gun, i refinished with boiled linseed oil. Stripped the finish off and then wet sanded through the numbers. Then I applied a bunch of linseed oil. I think it looks great!

Well the other stock I'm keeping more "original" I'm doing with Linseed, however, the last coat was applied months ago, and is still tacky, so I need to either sand or steel wool or strip and start over it appears... And since this gun isn't staying original, thought about doing something totally different. Might even consider just a solid paint with Matte or Satin clear over it... Lots of options...

MMRUSH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    :yesway:!
    picture.php

Disclaimer - Rank Amateur here practicing on gun stocks that were trashed. So, take with my warning.

The below picture is of the 3 stocks I've worked on. The top 2 are oil based Min Wax finishes. The wood was a light , possibly pine or birch but I'm not sure. Not a good quality stock. I used an oil base with a tru oil finish on the bolt .22 and a polyurethane on the Marlin .22 semik auto.
    The darker semi auto stock I got by mixing some of the dark brown leather dye with the stain, only a few drops in a small cup. I WOULD NOT TRY LINSEED OR TUNG ON THESE.
    The Garand was pale and faded, finish a mess. I lightly sanded it (very light, not to take out the dings but to even it out) It is a nice piece of USGI walnut so I used water based walnut stain. I then slowly did the Linseed Oil process over a couple weeks, once a day, hand rub with the grain, wipe excess, let dry. In this process I used a Raw Linseed Oil, which started out with an orange oil/linseed mix. Very slow drying oil, raw linseed. I didnt drown the stock in it, just light and hand rub over a couple weeks.
    The final two coats were Tom's 1/3 mix paste of linseed/turpentine/beeswax.
    picture.php

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Went to Menards today... heh heh.

This could be interesting...

Got a water-based Emerald green stain, and a small can of Soft-Touch Matte polyurethane... We'll see how it goes...

Already got the stock mostly stripped with some citrus stripper, a scrub brush, and water rinse, let it dry good, see where I'm at, and go from there...

Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    The stock was tacky feeling because the wood is breathing and squeezing the excess linseed oil out. Just rub some denatured alcohol on the stock to get rid of the sticky feeling. I like thr idea ofthe new finish. I wouldn't trust that citrus crap. Go get the 1950's stain and varnish removers that are covered in skulls and crossbones. That stuff REALLY works. Watch out though, the fumes may melt off your eye brows.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    The stock was tacky feeling because the wood is breathing and squeezing the excess linseed oil out. Just rub some denatured alcohol on the stock to get rid of the sticky feeling. I like thr idea ofthe new finish. I wouldn't trust that citrus crap. Go get the 1950's stain and varnish removers that are covered in skulls and crossbones. That stuff REALLY works. Watch out though, the fumes may melt off your eye brows.

I was assuming my last coat was just too thick and steel wooling it would allow me to "step back" a coat or two and keep going, if not, a total sanding and start over...

I wanted to do something different with the new finish because this stock won't be staying on it forever, and the poly and stain cost me... $10 total I think? The stain is in a tube, and the poly with the "soft-touch matte" finish looks really really nice on the "example" tile they had hanging by it, a true non-glare matte finish...

I do have some of that good aircraft stripper that will blister your skin in .5 seconds, but I've also got a 5 year old running around, so trying some of that Citri-Strip to see how it does. Calls for 30 mins to soak, but I hit it with a scrub brush after about 15 and really didnt have any issue. Doesn't scorch my nostrils either... lol.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I use the Citrus Stripper all the time and like it b/c it's not as toxic and doesn't really raise the grain in the wood so no sanding is usually required. I let it sit on the wood for 30-45 minutes and then rinse it off with a kitchen scrubbing pad and cold water. I like a satin/matte finish so I use Boiled Linseed Oil cut 50% with Mineral Spirits. I can redo a stock in an afternoon if there are no dents, dings or scratches that need removed. For a lot of dents and scratches I use a steam iron and wet towel to raise the dent/scratch up to the level of the surrounding wood. This process has worked for me but I do like the military style flat finishes.

Top Bottom