• ...and so much more!
  • Shroom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2009
    Middletown, IN
    First Ill explain why I am asking this.

I was shopping around for a new stock to put on my second Ruger 10/22, when I came across a video of someone putting a 10/22 in a P90 airsoft body. My first thought was it cant be safe to do this but after searching and reading, I decided to try it.

I have pretty much completed the modifications and have a reinforced P90 shell that fits the 10/22 like a glove. But with a 16" barrel OAL comes out to 25 and 5/7" which if I put it all together would make it illegal without registering it and getting a tax stamp. I have a 18" barrel on another 10/22 but am not looking at touching it.

So my question is - If I put a muzzle brake/flash hider on the end of the barrel it does have to be pinned and permanent? I believe this is correct?

Could I make a custom made recoil pad and attach it to the end of the stock with screws holding it to frame and this be legal?

Or should I just use this as a excuse to get another 10/22 with a longer barrel? :D

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    First Ill explain why I am asking this.

I was shopping around for a new stock to put on my second Ruger 10/22, when I came across a video of someone putting a 10/22 in a P90 airsoft body. My first thought was it cant be safe to do this but after searching and reading, I decided to try it.

I have pretty much completed the modifications and have a reinforced P90 shell that fits the 10/22 like a glove. But with a 16" barrel OAL comes out to 25 and 5/7" which if I put it all together would make it illegal without registering it and getting a tax stamp. I have a 18" barrel on another 10/22 but am not looking at touching it.

So my question is - If I put a muzzle brake/flash hider on the end of the barrel it does have to be pinned and permanent? I believe this is correct?

Could I make a custom made recoil pad and attach it to the end of the stock with screws holding it to frame and this be legal?

Or should I just use this as a excuse to get another 10/22 with a longer barrel? :D
    I'm curious as well...

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I was just reading through the regs last week on this. Yes for it to be counted in its over all length the flash hider has to be welded. Also a longer butt pad would only count if you made it non removable. If I remember correctly it basically said that for it to be counted in the OAL it could not be easily removed. But i do remember that is said for sure that flash hiders had to be welded to count.

Shroom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2009
    Middletown, IN
    I was just reading through the regs last week on this. Yes for it to be counted in its over all length the flash hider has to be welded. Also a longer butt pad would only count if you made it non removable. If I remember correctly it basically said that for it to be counted in the OAL it could not be easily removed. But i do remember that is said for sure that flash hiders had to be welded to count.

Thanks chuddly.

That is what I was understanding but kept reading conflicting stories on other sites, so came here to ask the guys that know. I talked (more like tricked) the wife in to letting me get another 10/22 anyways :D.

I still plan on finishing this build with this set up by either taking a aluminum or wood block and placing it in the rear cavity of the P90 stock, securing it by flush bolts on the exciting rear screw holes and attaching the extended 2" recoil pad to the block so it should be considered permanent. Of course Ill still call just to be 100% sure I'm am safe.

I'm thinking another 2" on the stock would be better for me any way since I'm 6' 4". But this should be a fun little CHEAP P90 wanna be plinker.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    How bout the government's policy of, "Don't ask don't tell"? HEEE HEEE

Even better, how about a government policy like the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed? Nowhere in the constitution does it mandate overall length, barrel length, number of rounds fired per trigger pull, sporting purpose, etc.

Shroom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2009
    Middletown, IN
    We need pictures, obviously. I can't believe no one else has asked yet.

Here are a few that I have on my phone. Ill try to dig up some more when I get home in two days.

The donor.
    IMG_0754.jpg

Well P90 airsoft (donor stock)
    IMG_0761.jpg

Here is what the inside looked like before getting cleaned up and reinforced. You can kinda see the trigger rod running under the barrel. You can also see where I had to make a cut out for the rear sights and at the bottom where in ejection pot would be on the real P90 for the Ruger magazine. The magazine release really isn't that bad to reach, but Im shopping around for something that i can manipulate outside of the frame or may just make my own.
    IMG_0808.jpg

Here is what it looks like with the ejection port cut out. This is also before I cleaned the cuts up. I did cut a tad to far back but it worked out great since I put a longer over sized charging handle on it.
    IMG_0809.jpg

Here it is with a cheap ncstar dot sight and the very cheap light that came with the airsoft gun. The light is cheap but really really bright so decided to throw it on to see how it looked. I also painted the inside of the fake magazine black. I cleared off the "Made In China" and am think of engraving something in its place.
    IMG_0825.jpg

Ill post more pictures of the finished thing with the extended butt stock when I get it done. But for $30 and a few more hours of work it should be a fun gun to take to the range.

Shroom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2009
    Middletown, IN
    Even better, how about a government policy like the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed? Nowhere in the constitution does it mandate overall length, barrel length, number of rounds fired per trigger pull, sporting purpose, etc.

Well said sir :yesway:.

That is why we all need to keep fighting as much as we can to keep our rights because I'm sure someone is sitting at a table right now trying to write up some new ****ty law that will just run all over our rights even more.

Shroom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2009
    Middletown, IN
    looks neat but ......im a lefty and that would eject shells into my arm pit i think

That's funny because I am left handed and shoot pistols left handed but learned I shoot right handed with rifles after I shot my first one (didn't feel right shooting left handed). For me it seems I get better control holding the forward of the rifle with my dominate hand.

Shroom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2009
    Middletown, IN
    A picture tutorial would be awesome as well.

I may do that since a buddy wants me to make one for him. It is amazing how well it fits in the stock and even without reinforcing the gun is held in tight and solid. Ill post the video where I got the idea but it is a basic do this and that. Ill try to a step by step tutorial.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    That's funny because I am left handed and shoot pistols left handed but learned I shoot right handed with rifles after I shot my first one (didn't feel right shooting left handed). For me it seems I get better control holding the forward of the rifle with my dominate hand.

Im just the opposite. I shoot rifle left handed and pistol right handed LOL.

Top Bottom