• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Damn! Who put onions in my dinner? They make me cry!

My Dad is a Vietnam Vet. I never understood why he made such a big deal about making sure the Gulf War Vets were treated right before, during and after the war. I was only 14 and didn't appreciate how bad Vietnam Vets were treated. These always hit home to me now!

Last edited:

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I used to volunteer at a food pantry. An older gentleman was wearing a Vietnam Vet hat and when I took his food out to his truck I made sure I shook his hand and thanked him. His truck must've been real dusty if you know what I mean.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Great post OP, my wifes dad was with the first group of Marines that got sent there. My dad graduated high school six months after the draft ended. My allergies must be acting up now, shew wee.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I make sure I take the time to thank our Vietnam veterans (as well as the others) and for them, I make sure to welcome them home. So many were never told that simple phrase. Welcome home. Think about that for a second. When I came back at the end of 04, there were all sorts of hand shaking going on, and it was because of our Vietnam veterans that this happened. They wanted to make sure that our newer generation was not forgotten, not welcomed back. So, for them, giving me the welcome home that I received, I thank them.
    And to all our Vietnam Veterans on here, Welcome HOME. I owe you all a drink for letting me follow in your footsteps.

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    When I was a regional manager for an automation company I used to use my first class upgrades when flying to upgrade the young men and women coming and going from home on my flights. Did it at least 8x. It felt real good to show my appreciation.

You really should warn people before showing vids like this. Sniffles.:)

drysdaleg

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    :patriot:

i always make sure to thank any vets i see. a few times ive even paid for there meal. i wish more people would do that. from having a lot of family and friends in the military, i know it makes them feel good.
    :ingo:

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Thanks for a great post. Now my eyes are sweating. I am a Afghanistan vet and I have always had a deep respect for the Vietnam Vets. I to believe they are the reason that I came home to "Thanks You" and hand shakes, and cheers. When the Vietnam wall came to Kokomo, IN this last fall. They had a section for the Iraq and Afghanistan vets. I stood looking at it and got very misty eyed. They didn't forget about us. I had a Vietnam vet come up and thank me for my service. Really...It is I who should thank him for his service and paving the way. :patriot:

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I had trouble watching the video with my wife standing over my shoulder. I could hear her muffled sobs while trying not to break down myself. It took us back to 1969.

I spent 14 months there and my wife and infant daughter had a huge map on the wall at home. I would write her every day and tell her where I had been and she put pins in the map. Cu Chi, Long Binh, Vung Tau, Cam Ranh Bay, Saigon, Cholon, Bear Cat, Dian, Bien Hoa.......

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I had trouble watching the video with my wife standing over my shoulder. I could hear her muffled sobs while trying not to break down myself. It took us back to 1969.

I spent 14 months there and my wife and infant daughter had a huge map on the wall at home. I would write her every day and tell her where I had been and she put pins in the map. Cu Chi, Long Binh, Vung Tau, Cam Ranh Bay, Saigon, Cholon, Bear Cat, Dian, Bien Hoa.......

Thank you for your service, and welcome home. :patriot:
    Thanks for making it better for us veterans returning now

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    If that doesn't tug heavily at your heartstrings then you must be one cold hearted S.O.B. Thanks for the post OP! Like the rest of you I too must be suffering a instant onset of allergies.

Whenever I encounter a man or woman in uniform I thank them..period. I've even had the pleasure of picking up a dinner/bar tab a few times. It's only right and I do it every chance I can.

I was in the Naval Air back during 'Nam and served a 13 month tour in the Tonkin Gulf. When I got home to Indy I wore my dress blues, and at the baggage claim area there was a anti-war protest going on. I was literally spat at and called a murderer and baby killer as I picked up my seabag, and I remember thinking how proud I was that I wore my dress blues during that trip, and how glad I was that the protesters could speak thier mind and not be beaten down by the cops. They just didn't know how good they had it. Later that evening my dad and I (he was a WWII south Pacific island hopper with the Army) went to the local VFW and our money wasn't good in that place. Got $h*tfaced and became one of the accepted "combat brothers"...man, the war stories I heard that night!

I never expected a hero's welcome home, and I didn't choose to enlist for glory, honor, or any such thing. I did it because my dad before me secured the liberty I enjoyed and I felt a determined obligation to pay it forward.

I'm a proud member of the VFW Honor Guard and I feel I owe a fallen brother vet his very last honor. The deeply felt 'thank you's' our guard hear from the families, and the tears in thier eyes remind me of how much of an honor and a privilege it is to be there for my "brothers" one last time.

KPierce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Jeffersonville
    Nice video. Thanks for posting. I guess I am a bit lucky in my work, in that I see a lot of vets new and old. So I have a chance to thank them for serving and always do. Thanks to all those who came before me and those who come after me. Your service is greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom