• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Pretty straightforward question. Is anyone else playing the Arma 2 DayZ mod? It's a hyper realistic zombie apocalypse survival game. You're dropped onto an a rather large island with a flashlight and basically left to your own devices to find food, water, weapons and shelter (temperature and weather can potentially make you sick). There are zombies all around the island, firing a shot will draw their attention, etc, etc.

As in any proper apocalypse scenario, zombies aren't the real hazard, they're more like an obstacle. The real issue is other players, who you can potentially work with or, more likely, get killed by.

So... Yeah. Anybody playing it? Little more info here: This Might be the Greatest Zombie Game Ever Made.

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    Sounds like Dead Island, real fun until you realize you only have two rounds left and hordes of Zombies right in your face at level 20. Yeah, you're instantly dead after your last two rounds unless you can beat feet quicker than 200 Runners.. Walkers and Crawlers are nothing, sounds much better though. Anything realistic would be funner than Dead Island, worst PS3 game ever.. the new Resident Evil is almost as bad. When I want to play a wickedly sick Zombie game.. I'm still playing Black Ops Zombie maps, it's so crazy it's comical! I'll check this out, thanks for the heads up!

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    Ive looked into it and it looks like alot of fun but alas my desktop is way underpowered for that. Looks like im gonna have to build a new one

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Do I just need Arma2 or also the Addons for DayZ ?
    You need ARMA2 Combined Operations (ARMA2 and Operation Arrowhead).

DayZ is a lot of fun. In most multiplayer FPS games folks just run around blazing and who cares if you die since you'll respawn with full ammunition and new guns. DayZ starts you off with some food, a pistol and a little ammo. It is pretty rare to find decent guns or additional ammunition, and so if you end up with good equipment you tend to be very cautious. You've got to scrounge food and water, hoard cartridges for whatever weapons you can find and avoid conflict when possible. When you die you lose everything and start over from scratch.

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    I have Dayz!! It is amazing and nothing like Dead Island. No missions, just survive. Aside from all the zombies, many of the players on the servers kill others and become bandits and steal other peoples stuff. I found a crossbow and love it, no sound. :) FYI, all the servers I've started on no longer give you a gun or anything other than a flashlight, one bandage, and a painkiller. No weapons, food, or water. You have to sneak into the towns where all the zombies are to find things.

alexanjl12

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Westside Indy
    I was actually just getting ready to make a thread about this game!! I recently started playing over the weekend. Amazing game but it does have a pretty strong learning curve!!

For people that are interested. The Steam summer sale will be starting soon, that will probably be the best time to pick up the Arma 2 combined operations. They usually offer 33% off most games, then each day they have certain games that are 75%. So if you want to get going on probably the greatest Mod ever, the Steam sale is the time to pick it up and get going!

Anyone playing on Steam feel free to add me (alexanjl12)! This is definitely a game you need a group of friends to run around with. Cause its pretty hard to trust random people in game!

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So to those of you playing DayZ (and I guess anyone else curious), here's the scariest thing I've seen yet.

Just earlier tonight, I was approaching the airfield a little ways outside Cherno, the southwest large city. Going to the control tower, I find a dead survivor, looks like he fell off the tower. Loot his stuff, move on. As I go into the second hangar, I find another dead survivor, outside of a shipping container. Loot, keep moving, heading towards the entrance of the container. Another dead survivor at the entrance. Looking inside, 3 more dead survivors, all of whom still have their stuff. I rapidly looted them and ran like hell.

alexanjl12

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Westside Indy
    So to those of you playing DayZ (and I guess anyone else curious), here's the scariest thing I've seen yet.

Just earlier tonight, I was approaching the airfield a little ways outside Cherno, the southwest large city. Going to the control tower, I find a dead survivor, looks like he fell off the tower. Loot his stuff, move on. As I go into the second hangar, I find another dead survivor, outside of a shipping container. Loot, keep moving, heading towards the entrance of the container. Another dead survivor at the entrance. Looking inside, 3 more dead survivors, all of whom still have their stuff. I rapidly looted them and ran like hell.

Those airstrips are pretty popular spots for bandits to hang out at and just pick off the survivors. You made a good decision by getting out of there asap. :D

BTW for those interested, it briefly mentions this in the article, but just an fyi, this game is still in alpha mode, so they are some bugs, but the devolpers are constantly fixing/updating things. The game is still completely playable, and probably the most "suck you in" game ive played in a long while.

There is a pretty strong learning curve but there are tons of vid on youtube with helpful hints, or you can feel free to pm me and I will gladly help you out(if i even know the answer myself :))

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    I played it for a couple weeks. It's a fun game but so rampant with cheaters (log out when they get shot so you can't get their gear), bugs, hackers, glitches and server connectivity issues that I couldn't keep going. It was kind of fun for a bit, and I'll probably be back once it gets some more support, but it was too enraging trying to seriously play with all that going on.

Last I'd heard, the creators of ARMA were in talks with the creator of DayZ to try and make it a fully supported playstyle on ARMA III, which would be fantastic.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I just started playing it but I'm not a huge Zombie fan. It is okay but I'm not feeling the hype yet. I know others love their Zombie games and the Arma platform is by far the best. We'll see what happens.

I like the resource system used in Operation Flashpoint: Resistance. I enjoyed stealing the Russian gear for my little band of guerillas. It was a challenge to keep the best equipment in reserve for the harder missions.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I just finished downloading it and started playing. Pretty tough. I am NOT getting to start with a pistol and ammo - maybe I'm on the wrong servers. Have found a few, though. Going to try again tomorrow.

alexanjl12

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Westside Indy
    I just finished downloading it and started playing. Pretty tough. I am NOT getting to start with a pistol and ammo - maybe I'm on the wrong servers. Have found a few, though. Going to try again tomorrow.

starting with a pistol is something they took out right before i started playing :(

now you pretty much start with nothing and you have to find your first batches of food/water along with a weapon. Pay attention to where it tells you that you are spawning, and there are several maps online that you can look at in order to figure out where you want to go. Barns/deer stands are probably the best places to find starter weapons. Supermarkets in the big cities are the easiest places for food....but you run a much higher chance of running into bandits.

Also, no matter what server you start on, you only have 1 character until he/she dies. So if you log out of server A and decide to play on server B instead, then when you join server B you will have the same gear, and log in the same place that you logged out of server A on.

The learning curve is very steep, because it is an extremely tough game, which is why i think I like it so much :D

Top Bottom