• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    Lafayette has a great selection of gun stores that have a variety of items at decent prices filled with friendly staff....... but online prices are just too good. I like to buy local and totally want to support my LGS's, but I also want to shoot. I buy ammunition in .22LR and 7.62x54R because those are the only two guns I own right now. I just bought 3750 rounds of .22 for 3 cents a round with tax and delivery. The cheapest that I can get 7.62x54R non-corrosive ammo in town is $13.99. I can get it online for like $8. I cannot sensibly pay 25-50% more for ammo just because. I have the money, but then my wife would start getting on my case even harder hehe.

I bought my rifles in town, but how can I buy my ammo too? Is the gun industry going to have to change with the times or will it go the way of Blockbuster?

HARVEYtheDAMNED

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    Lafayette has a great selection of gun stores that have a variety of items at decent prices filled with friendly staff....... but online prices are just too good. I like to buy local and totally want to support my LGS's, but I also want to shoot. I buy ammunition in .22LR and 7.62x54R because those are the only two guns I own right now. I just bought 3750 rounds of .22 for 3 cents a round with tax and delivery. The cheapest that I can get 7.62x54R non-corrosive ammo in town is $13.99. I can get it online for like $8. I cannot sensibly pay 25-50% more for ammo just because. I have the money, but then my wife would start getting on my case even harder hehe.

I bought my rifles in town, but how can I buy my ammo too? Is the gun industry going to have to change with the times or will it go the way of Blockbuster?

First and foremost, I only buy firearms themselves from local gunstores. It's always better to hold the gun in your hand before purchase, so they have that going for them.

Secondly, I also purchase ammo online and I will continue to do so. I keep an eye on my local gun store, which is Indy Trading Post. Usually it's cheaper to get ammo online, but 7.62x54r is very reasonably priced at ITP so it's a good place to pick it up. You have to stop in regularly and see what's going on. New arrivals, sales, ect.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've bought quite a few surplus firearms off the net, and tons of ammo as well, but when it comes to buying a firearm I can't buy with my 03 FFL, I can usually find a better, or as good, deal at a LGS, when considering transfer fees, and shipping.

Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    Right, I too enjoy having the gun in my hands and maybe even firing it before purchasing. I'm the same way with my guitars. I could only see buying a gun online if the deal was incredible. I mean, with $30 in shipping and $20 in transfer, it seems hard to get a great deal online. I can't believe the prices I'm getting on ammo even with shipping added. $160 for 880 rounds of surplus Mosin food is HEAVY! $15 shipping seems like a steal.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I go online and figure out the entire cost + transfer and then give the gun store a chance to match it. Sometimes they can... sometimes they can't. If the price is close enough, I will go with the gun store. If there is still a +$25 discrepancy then the gun store gets my transfer fee.

Either way, I am supporting my gun store IMHO....

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I go online and figure out the entire cost + transfer and then give the gun store a chance to match it. Sometimes they can... sometimes they can't. If the price is close enough, I will go with the gun store. If there is still a +$25 discrepancy then the gun store gets my transfer fee.

Either way, I am supporting my gun store IMHO....

^^^^^^^

This.... and when I do go online I also try to give the business who support what I like to do... Like sponsor INGO....

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    I say you can support your local shops buy going into them on a regular basis, checking what they get in and if the price is right, pop on it. Do transfers at your favorite shop, it's pure profit for them. If you really like the store tell your buddies about it. That's how you help your local stores.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I don't consider anyone a "trader" for not buying in their LGS when they can save $50 or more, total, buying online; it's a personal choice. However, I also believe in being fair. I wouldn't expect my LGS to "check out" my gun for me if I'm having trouble; take up time with me to show me how to <fill in the blank>; or help me figure out what are the best accessories I can get to upgrade my gun, especially since it's likely that those upgrades will be purchased online. I don't know any LGS in my area that would not help someone out, even if they KNOW the purchase is not likely to happen; we have some great shops in Indiana.

In your case, you do support your LGS, so don't worry about it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I buy some of my ammo on line. Specialty items that my favorite LGS's may not stock because of sales. Accessory's like holsters. I always purchase firearms from a live human being at the good ole LGS.
    Optics are another item that may be best bought on line. Selection and price.

I will pay the convenience price just to walk out with the item I seek in my hands and not have to wait on the big brown truck.

We need to realize that these shops are a deep reserve of info, opinions and just a place to gossip like old hens.
    I support them.

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    My LGS is great and has always treated me fairly. Most of the time he beats nearly every on-line price for firearms as a routine way of doing business and that occurs without asking. He usually has fair deals on the more common calibers such as 9mm, 40, 45, and 223. Other ammo, reloading components, etc. is usually higher than what you can buy it for on-line (sometimes by a lot and sometimes a little). For the stuff he is much higher on, I will usually throw some but, not all of my business his way.

Ask yourself this question: If everyone was like me, would my LGS even be there? Only you can decide if the value of your LGS is worth your business.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I frequent and purchase a fair amount of items at a few of my LGS's, but I also purchase a fair amount online. I don't however purchase ammo at any of my LGS. The prices are just too high on ammo compared to other sources.

The LGS's in my area that provide good service, reasonable pricing and something to differentiate themselves get my business.

I also recommend them specifically by name to friends and others looking to buy guns, etc. If I know someone is looking for something in particular, and I've seen it at my LGS for a reasonable price, I will definitely let them know (yep, I'm in some of them enough to know what their inventory is, in some cases).

However, I will not support a store just because it is local, if it does not provide good service/reasonable pricing.

Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    My LGS is definitely been a wealth of info. So far it has all been good. They have helped me figure out some oddities with my 10/22 and I bought them lunch for the help. I plan on going through them whenever I can, but I am still going to snap up every deal I can find online. Glad to hear a lot of other people have helpful LGS's.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    My LGS is definitely been a wealth of info. So far it has all been good. They have helped me figure out some oddities with my 10/22 and I bought them lunch for the help. I plan on going through them whenever I can, but I am still going to snap up every deal I can find online. Glad to hear a lot of other people have helpful LGS's.

Sounds like you support them to me.

Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    Sounds like you support them to me.

Well, i truly do have a bit of regret hitting the "submit order" button online when I could be buying things from my LGS. I guess I came to ***** a bit and don't feel so bad knowing others try to support them as much as possible but still shop for deals online. Dunham's is about the only "chain" retail store I like to shop from. Those guys kill Dicks, Cabela's, and Gander for selection and prices.

Takashi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Indy Northside
    Don't forget about reloading products too! Primers and powder and those dreaded hazmat sales fees makes buying from an LGS a lot more cost effective.

Top Bottom