Shooting on private property in St. Joseph County.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    I will be relocating to a new home in St. Joe county here in a few months.

The property will have 5 acres. I would like to know if anyone can point me in the right direction or post county laws on shooting on private property. Or perhaps state laws if they override local laws?

I figure I can blindly start calling the county offices or have a local sheriff come out and perhaps get his opinion? I'd rather have local law though to show it was allowed in the event a sherrif does arrive?

Of course I would build a nice backstop and I have no neighbors anywhere around (so hoping a noise ordanance wouldn't be an issue during the day)

Thanks

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    We live in southern St. Joe county. Build a good backstop, the most that will happen is either the sheriff or a DNR officer will stop by if they get a report on gunfire. As long as you have a safe backstop they wont do anything.
    A few years ago we were shooting at my buddies house, DNR shows up with a report of gunfire. Looks at our backstop says everything is fine. He said he would have dispatch make a note that we had a safe backstop and if they got another report it would show up that we were good to go.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    We live in southern St. Joe county. Build a good backstop, the most that will happen is either the sheriff or a DNR officer will stop by if they get a report on gunfire. As long as you have a safe backstop they wont do anything.
    A few years ago we were shooting at my buddies house, DNR shows up with a report of gunfire. Looks at our backstop says everything is fine. He said he would have dispatch make a note that we had a safe backstop and if they got another report it would show up that we were good to go.

Excellent that is kind of what I thought would happen but I like to hear first hand stories. I will be north of you in North Liberty.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Let me be the first to say, good luck on it, hope you get the good info, sounds like you already have gotten some on here. I hope to one day be able to have a range on my own land again, when I am finally able to get my own place.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Excellent that is kind of what I thought would happen but I like to hear first hand stories. I will be north of you in North Liberty.

Born and raised in North liberty, quiet little town, never had any problems there.
    PM me with a general area and I'll let you know what I know about it

fireman28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    As long as you have a good back stop, their shouldn't be a problem. More than likely you will hear others shooting.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I shoot at a farm just south of Mishawaka... Never called anybody, never had anyone come out and we do quite a bit of shooting. I guess we have a natural backstop, sorta.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I know we have shot out on farmland in Valpo, not sure if he had called first or not, but he had said that the police were out once before, seen the backstop, said it was good to go and have a good day.

I do totally want to be able to do this myself one day. Just go outside, crank off a couple rounds before and after work. Relaxing

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    We're looking at a few houses in North Liberty right now too. My dad already lives out there and i'm ready to get out of the city in Mishawaka.

I've done some shooting out at my dad's house in North Liberty and we have never had a problem. Heck, the neighbor is a retired police officer and he enjoys joining in on the fun with us.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I know we have shot out on farmland in Valpo, not sure if he had called first or not, but he had said that the police were out once before, seen the backstop, said it was good to go and have a good day.

I do totally want to be able to do this myself one day. Just go outside, crank off a couple rounds before and after work. Relaxing
    Nope, I never call. The one time the popo were called was by a farmer tilling next to us. Not in the line of fire, but I guess he was worried. Sheriff's Deputies were pleasant as can be. Haven't heard from them since.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Nope, I never call. The one time the popo were called was by a farmer tilling next to us. Not in the line of fire, but I guess he was worried. Sheriff's Deputies were pleasant as can be. Haven't heard from them since.

Didn't figure you did, but i didnt want to assume either. Was a great time.:rockwoot::ar15:

Top Bottom