• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    From the intersection of US 30 and Indiana 49, go south to the first stoplight (~1/2 mile), which is Division. The fairgrounds are right there on the Northeast corner, but you will have to turn east onto Division to enter the property.

It is medium sized show with some junk tables. I saw some decent prices there 2 years ago, but last years' prices weren't impressive. I doubt the prices will be good this year. I am no gun show connoisseur, but I'd say this one is about average. I never have high expectations for a gun show, so this one hasn't let me down.

As always, if you are looking for something specific, or care to browse, it is probably worth $5. If you want a good price, or don't have the time to peruse, don't bother. If I had some better offer, like a homemade pie, I'd forgo the gun show.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Better than CP usually... but deals are hit and miss. Some of the same usual gougers that are always at the CP also go there.

I go to see a couple of my favorite dealers (just like at CP) if it wasn't for them I;d never go to a gun show around here.

Midwest gun exchange is there which is about the only reason I go to that show. It's closer than driving to mishiwaka and I can ask them to bring whatever I want to the show.

FWIW My friend was in town and went to one and he bought a couple cases of primers. Apparently they were blow out priced. he was shocked since the rest of the show sucked. I don't relaod so I don't recall who or what the specifics were.

Dyerbill

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NWIndiana
    I like this show for entertainment, but economic downturn, Obama, human nature (greed) has made ALL gun shows hit or miss for buying.:twocents:

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Is Fetlas still open over there. I haven't been there in 20 years. It was a great place. All those guns wired up above all the shelves...

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    That is the best gunshow in NWI in my opnion. 2-3 times the size of CP if they have the second building up and Midwest is usually there:)

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Fetla's is gone and the original Fetla's went under about 7 years ago the new owners destroyed what he had. As for the Porter Co. show it used to be the best in the area, Used to be.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Well I talked with Chuck from C.N.I. a little while ago. He will have a couple tables at the Valpo Gun Show. Not as much space as he used to have, but he said he'll have new and old stuff there.

I may try to get over there if I can break away for a couple hours. I know I'm busy all morning, but not sure if we have any plans for the afternoon.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Hmmm, $6 to get in and view overpriced stuff... pay melensdad $6 and sit in his shop shooting the **** with a fine cigar for about an hour... if I head over that way I may have to ponder that one :-)

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    It's $6 to get in now.

Are you kidding me? They don't make enough off the vendors, raffle tickets and 5 bucks they have to up it 20%?

Please... if they can pack that place full of all those BS vendors to fill the place they don't need to charging an extra 20% at the door.

f-it. Probably be the last show I go to in NW Indiana. I'd just as soon drive to Mishiwaka. At least I can call and ahead and make sure they have what I want.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Hmmm, $6 to get in and view overpriced stuff... pay melensdad $6 and sit in his shop shooting the **** with a fine cigar for about an hour... if I head over that way I may have to ponder that one :-)
    Heck we have 10% off our cigars this month if you buy any combination 5. We figured we'd offer a pre-tax deal, Obama signed a new WHOPPER of a tobacco tax today! Cigars are going UP in price on April 1.

Still I may try to get to the Valpo show if I can make it out there after fencing club ends, wouldn't be able to make it until mid-afternoon but since I've not ever gone to that show and I'm not expecting much if there is anything good then it might be worth the trip.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Are you kidding me? They don't make enough off the vendors, raffle tickets and 5 bucks they have to up it 20%?

Please... if they can pack that place full of all those BS vendors to fill the place they don't need to charging an extra 20% at the door.

f-it. Probably be the last show I go to in NW Indiana. I'd just as soon drive to Mishiwaka. At least I can call and ahead and make sure they have what I want.

I hear ya, but it's a freaking dollar! C'mon. Things go up in price, how long was it at $5? And they aren't going to raise if by an odd number that might involved coins.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I hear ya, but it's a freaking dollar! C'mon. Things go up in price, how long was it at $5? And they aren't going to raise if by an odd number that might involved coins.

A dollar is 20%. How about we raise the price of your car insurance by the same percentage or your mortgage payment by it? What, it's only 20%, right?

Look, in the 11 years I've been going to gun shows it's been 3 bucks, 4 bucks, 5 bucks and some shows are 6 and 7 bucks already.

Maybe some of the shows around here have been 5 bucks for the past 11 years... if so, maybe they should hold off a few more years since they were gouging everyone 11 years ago.

In any event I've been to most of their shows over the past 5 years and I've never seen it worth more than 5 bucks and honestly that was few and far between.

Get rid of all the non gun crap and the number of tables at that show would drop by 50%. At least.

Also the NRA double standard is ********. How about free admission if I renew my GOA or SAF membership?

The nra voted to ban half the stuff in there anyway.

SWAMPMASTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Logantucky
    Heck the 1500 show is what 9 bucks plus 3 bucks to park? I think this show is better than the Indy show. But hey its just my opinion

If you were able to look at the books I bet you might find that they lost there butt on the last show due to the flooding.It supports a gun club and not some corp rolling in the dough

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    <snip>A dollar is 20%. How about we raise the price of your car insurance by the same percentage or your mortgage payment by it? What, it's only 20%, right?

<snip>
    Get rid of all the non gun crap and the number of tables at that show would drop by 50%. At least.

Respectfully Pro, the first point I quoted, that actually is what I am trying to say. If my car insurance went up 20% I would be upset, because it is significantly more than a dollar. The price of the gun show going up 20% doesn't offend me because the increase is only $1. I understand the concept of looking at percentages but I think it's important to look at the bigger picture and realize its not a big damn deal.

Your statement about getting rid of the non gun crap would actually make the problem worse. Less tables= less revenue, so either they shut down the show or they charge either vendors or purchasers more. I am not naive enough to believe it, but it is possible that they raised the entry fee 20% so that they could reduce vendor fees in an attempt to attract more vendors and make it a more desirable show. I would certainly be willing to pay an extra dollar to get a better quality show.

I am not saying that $6 for the Valpo gun show is some screaming deal, or that it's a great show, but I think them raising the price by a dollar is not something to get upset about. IMO, it is not much different than $5 if you look at if from this perspective: If you find something you wanted, the $5 (or 6) is negligible and if you didn't find something you wanted, the $5 (or 6) was a complete waste. Chalk it up to a gamble.

Top Bottom