• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    Had to share this with you guys. Today a lady calls and says she has a complaint about the neighborhood kids. I get the call and go to her house. She points across the street and told me this kid was shooting some kind of gun at her. She said when she got out of her car she heard noises in the grass. She went on to say he was shooting at passing cars.

I check her driveway and sure enough there are a bunch of yellow soft-air pellets. I collect a few and take them to the kid's house. On the way I see more in the street. When I get there I recognize the kid from previous contacts. His mom and grandpa are there when I asked him where the gun is. He brings it to me and take it.

I gave him a speech on responsible gun ownership and told him that he may not realize it but it's guys like him that give all we gun guys a bad name. I go on to tell him if he intends on being a responsible gun owner it starts today. I told him the first step toward being responsible with a gun is for him to hand write a letter of apology, put it in an envelope, and personally deliver it to the lady whose car he shot at. He is then to tell her he is sorry. I told him his grandpa can have the gun back when the lady contacts me informing me she got the letter and apology. By the way the lady agreed to all this.

I then invited him to either a 4H firearms safety meeting or a hunter ed course. There ya have it "Nine Year Old Kid Looses His Handgun."

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Had to share this with you guys. Today a lady calls and says she has a complaint about the neighborhood kids. I get the call and go to her house. She points across the street and told me this kid was shooting some kind of gun at her. She said when she got out of her car she heard noises in the grass. She went on to say he was shooting at passing cars.

I check her driveway and sure enough there are a bunch of yellow soft-air pellets. I collect a few and take them to the kid's house. On the way I see more in the street. When I get there I recognize the kid from previous contacts. His mom and grandpa are there when I asked him where the gun is. He brings it to me and take it.

I gave him a speech on responsible gun ownership and told him that he may not realize it but it's guys like him that give all we gun guys a bad name. I go on to tell him if he intends on being a responsible gun owner it starts today. I told him the first step toward being responsible with a gun is for him to hand write a letter of apology, put it in an envelope, and personally deliver it to the lady whose car he shot at. He is then to tell her he is sorry. I told him his grandpa can have the gun back when the lady contacts me informing me she got the letter and apology. By the way the lady agreed to all this.

I then invited him to either a 4H firearms safety meeting or a hunter ed course. There ya have it "Nine Year Old Kid Looses His Handgun."

While I'm not sure about confiscating the kid's toy gun, (and yes, those words make me cringe) I can certainly see the point you made and that you turned it into a teaching moment. It's a shame that mom and grandpa haven't taught him the lessons you did, but overall, I think you did a good thing. Rep added.

Blessings,
    Bill

foxxie02

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    May 23, 2008
    can never start too early

i have seen 3 and 4 yr olds being taught these basics and believe wholely that you may have well started this young man on to be a good and responsible gun owner!!

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Awesome.

I would have invited him shooting after the course, but that's just me. :D

Reps, of course.

Josh <><

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage

I would have done the same thing, I would have also invited the parents, although I think you implied that.

Reps to you. :yesway:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Great job handling the situation. At that age, the kid is very impressionable. Hopefully the lesson you taught will stick with him as he gets older.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    My hat is off to you 96HARLEY.

You took the time to instill a positive influence instead of dwelling on the negitive.
    Kids to often grow up being afraid or not respecting law enforcement.
    You showed "him" respect, therefore, he has seen the good side.
    Hopefully, his Grandparents will continue in guiding him in the right direction.
    Thanks for giving him a chance.

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    Thanks to all you guys for the kind words. I honesty try to handle each case on it's own merit. If the Lord allows me to make another 8 years in this proffession I'll hang it up. That plus what I had as a reserve in Johonson County will put me at 42 years in police work. Keep me in your prayers as I want to be the best peace officer I can be the next 8 years to those I serve.

MacMan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Big UPS to Harley

:yesway: I believe if more people took time to teach kids why they shouldn't play like that, it might be less kids growing up doing that.

Substance-P

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    Thanks to all you guys for the kind words. I honesty try to handle each case on it's own merit. If the Lord allows me to make another 8 years in this proffession I'll hang it up. That plus what I had as a reserve in Johonson County will put me at 42 years in police work. Keep me in your prayers as I want to be the best peace officer I can be the next 8 years to those I serve.

Will do. Here's hoping for another safe 8 years of service.

Top Bottom