• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scam1789

Long time Member mostly lurking.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2008
    Pittsboro
    This was posted by a machinist in Alaska, kinda an infamous guy in the paintball world named Doc (from Doc's Machine). He is also into anthing that goes boom. I hang out on a forum of his called Tinkers' Guild.

I present to you the bravest moose ever:
    bravemoose.jpg

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Had a similar experience with a deer on my dad's farm in White Co. Early October, sighting in my Ruger Super Redhawk .480 on the lane that runs all the way through the farm, fire a round, pause to check out POI, and as I am squeezing the trigger for the next shot, the target disappears, and everything looks brown through the scope. :dunno:

Look over the top, and yup, big doe standing about 20 yds away, between me and target, trying to get our scent on the wind. Wind was with me, so she moved about 10 yds to my left, and started grazing. On the first shot, she only raised her head, and stood there staring at us while chewing on a mouth full of grass. On the second shot, she must have finally figured something was not right, and decided to leave.

Substance-P

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    Maybe he didn't see the "hot range" flag.
    :laugh:

When some friends and I were prairie dog hunting in in South Dakota this year, there was a hawk sitting on a fence post watching us shoot up this dog town.

We were even shooting a prairie dog right next to the post the hawk was sitting on and he didn't move just observed.

We had the sense he was picking out lunch and when we returned the next morning, almost all the dead dogs had been eaten.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    :laugh:

When some friends and I were prairie dog hunting in in South Dakota this year, there was a hawk sitting on a fence post watching us shoot up this dog town.

We were even shooting a prairie dog right next to the post the hawk was sitting on and he didn't move just observed.

We had the sense he was picking out lunch and when we returned the next morning, almost all the dead dogs had been eaten.

Hawks don't generally scavenge. I bet he was watching your rounds go downrange and calculating the speed he'd need to reach in order to catch them. You quit shooting before he got it figured out, but he was almost there.

It was probably coyotes or buzzards that got the dead dogs.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I wonder if anyone shot off a round and if he ran when he heard it?

Probably not. When I was in Alaska, one of our common calls was to go try to chase moose off the roads and runways. They liked to lick the salt. We'd sit there with sirens and horns going, and the moose MIGHT look at us. Mostly they'd ignore us.

Except for moose 13. He hated cops, and would chase us. Squashed at least one truck LOL.

Moose IS extremely yummy, btw. I kind of miss being able to go to Pizza Hut and order pizza with moose sausage.

Apokalypsi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Speedway
    I wonder if he went and grabbed one of his current projects and shot the moose with a paintball. That would be hilarious. I didn't know Doc was into real guns too. Learn something new every day.

Scam1789

Long time Member mostly lurking.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2008
    Pittsboro
    I wonder if he went and grabbed one of his current projects and shot the moose with a paintball. That would be hilarious. I didn't know Doc was into real guns too. Learn something new every day.

Do you post on the Guild? and if so what name do you post under?

Substance-P

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    Hawks don't generally scavenge. I bet he was watching your rounds go downrange and calculating the speed he'd need to reach in order to catch them. You quit shooting before he got it figured out, but he was almost there.

It was probably coyotes or buzzards that got the dead dogs.

Probably a combination of the two b/c there were quite a few dogs consumed.

Come to think of it, you are probably right. He was watching pretty intently, could have been comparing methods.

Apokalypsi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Speedway
    Do you post on the Guild? and if so what name do you post under?
    Nope, don't post on there. I do frequent M. Carter Brown and Underground Mod Shop though. If you aren't on either one of those, check them out. Any forum I'm on, I go by the same name as here.

Top Bottom