• ...and so much more!
  • Mellow

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Harrison County
    Bring it on.
    Aside from firearms. I think it would be cool to replicate parts for household repairs. I had to order a part for our dryer a few weeks ago. A small plastic pulley that cost about $25 with S&H. As I was placing the order I thought of the makerbot I had learned of a year before.
    Beyond that, one day I could be ordering tea, earl grey, hot, from a star trek replicator.
    Great times could be ahead.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Professor Kaku, call your office.

But this being a gun board and all I thought it interesting to keep everyone posted on the technological death of gun control.

What is really funny is the antis are all living in the past and have no idea about what is to run over them like a horseless carriage.:laugh:

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Professor Kaku, call your office.

But this being a gun board and all I thought it interesting to keep everyone posted on the technological death of gun control.

What is really funny is the antis are all living in the past and have no idea about what is to run over them like a horseless carriage.:laugh:

While I don't disagree with your assertions...I could easily see this turning into a raid by Alphabet Soup, Inc.

Usurpation of established control will not be tolerated, legality be damned. Why have NDAA if you aren't going to flex it.

I hope I'm completely off base, because this is incredibly cool for the reasons you state...I'm just not convinced that it won't be short circuited by Jack Booted Thuggery.

YJBrian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Outside the Loop
    There is some pretty cool 3D printing technologies out there. I have seen an example of 9 mm pistol printed in metal from a vendor selling rapid prototyping services. They claim a few thousand rounds were fired.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    /. just found it.
    "Earlier this month, University of Texas law student Cody Wilson and a small group of friends who call themselves 'Defense Distributed' launched an initiative they've dubbed the 'Wiki Weapon Project.' Their goal: to raise $20,000 to design and release blueprints for the world's first entirely 3D-printable gun. If all goes according to plan, RepRap users will soon be able to turn the project's CAD designs into an operational firearm capable of shooting at least one standard .22 caliber bullet, all in the privacy of their own garage. Wilson and his handful of collaborators at Defense Distributed plan to use the money they raise to buy or rent a $10,000 Stratysys 3D printer and also to hold a 3D-printable gun design contest with a $1,000 or $2,000 prize for the winning entry — Wilson says they've already received gun design ideas from fans in Arkansas and North Carolina. Once the group has successfully built a reliable 3D-printed gun with the Stratysys printer, it plans to adapt the design for the cheaper and more widely distributed Reprap model. The group had already raised more than $2,000 through the fundraising platform Indiegogo, but the site took down their page and froze their funds on Tuesday. They're continuing to seek donations through their website via Paypal and Bitcoin."

spyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    As much as I think this is a good idea, it stands to put more weapons in the hands of those that we don't want to have weapons...

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Wouldn't this just be like how it is legal to already make your own AR-15 receiver from an 80% blank and never need to serialize it? You can never sell it, but you can make your own guns. That isn't illegal (yet).

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    As much as I think this is a good idea, it stands to put more weapons in the hands of those that we don't want to have weapons...

Who is "we" and who are those people?

In a free society, everyone should have the choice to be armed.

Top Bottom