• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inccwchris

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Southside of Indiana
    These topics are things I have observed while working in a gun shop. It is my perspective and should be taken as such. This may not apply to you, and may not be gospel truth, but it is based on observations I have made.

Guys that go into gun stores with their wives are the luckiest guys in the world. That being said, you can still screw it up. If your wife, daughter, girlfriend, niece, sister, mother, etc etc has decided they want a gun, let them pick the gun out by themselves. Do NOT go around the shop picking up guns going here try this one, here try this one, here try this one. It bugs them to no end that you are acting like this unless they asked you to. Also, when the gun counter person begins interacting with them, DO NOT interrupt the salesman to offer advice. Wait until he or she is finished speaking about a particular gun to interject your opinion. Most women will generally gravitate towards a gun that is right for them, even though they may have no knowledge about the tech specs, they pick one that looks nice and feels right in their hands. That is where the gun counter guys come in. We can help guide them towards one that is sufficient in caliber, size, and style for them. Most of the time guys, you get in the way of that. Lets look at how men shop. Most men that I deal with come in to the store, look around and pick things out to try. They want to be treated with respect and greeted in a friendly manner as well. Thats great. Most men with their buddies, joke around, ask each other questions, and pick stuff out to try, they listen to the clerk talk about a gun if they have questions and then they turn around and ask their buddies. Now, thats the same for men who own multiple guns, or men buying their first time guns in most cases. Now, lets look at how women shop. They are going to want to come in, look around, be greeted in a friendly manner and shown respect. They want to look around and find something that fits them. They want something to defend themselves, that may look pretty, feel nice in their hands, and be confident in carrying. Guys, this is not the time for you to shop for a gun. If your wife is dealing with a salesman, I actually would reccomend you go look around elsewhere, she can wave you over for an opinion later. This is her time to buy and pick her gun. Let her and the clerk figure out whats right for her, its kind of what the clerk gets paid to do.

In summary, just like in most things in life. When you bring a woman to a gun shop for her first, second, third gun, its all about her and not about you. She kind of knows what she wants naturally. I don't know how, but most people just know what works for them even without knowing anything about guns. Listen to her, if she asks a question about something, answer her, if she says she likes something, acknowledge it. Just don't be overbearing with it.

Last edited:

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Not my wife (far from it), but whenever my mom goes and looks for a gun, I make it a point to be right there with her. You'd surprised how much BS a salesman can spout when he thinks he has someone who doesn't know anything about guns. I stay there to prevent her from getting robbed blind. Nothing against you, but it's just my experience when shopping with my mom.

P.S. Something I've noticed, the "pink" or pretty guns are usually low end stuff :dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    BravoMike, you would be surprised how many husband vs. wife fights I see because the guy puts more than his two cents in when it isn't asked for.

Probably a suck relationship to begin with.

My wife will listen to my input but to an extent. She likes pretty things, you know, female but will listen to caliber, felt recoil info etc. There is the operation and ease of use issues as well but they differ with everyone even men. I am called on to help friends wives pick out a gun as sometimes woman just will not listen to the hubby. It is good to have some kind of knowledge on hand to save someone (male or female) from making a bad decision based on poor facts or appearance.

You are correct in the point of limiting input to the 2 cents worth unless you see epic fail in the decision making process.

I was standing at the door of the range at everyone's favorite LGS (code name "RONS") and saw the counter guy trying to sell a Taurus Judge to a first time female buyer. Her hubby tried to sway this but she insisted on shooting it anyway which ended badly of course. I mentioned to the clerk that I felt he was a Moron with no sense and he threatened retaliation by banning me from the range.....Big deal.
    Lady's....use your head, listen to those who shoot these things. Knowledge to be gained.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Not my wife (far from it), but whenever my mom goes and looks for a gun, I make it a point to be right there with her. You'd surprised how much BS a salesman can spout when he thinks he has someone who doesn't know anything about guns. I stay there to prevent her from getting robbed blind. Nothing against you, but it's just my experience when shopping with my mom.

P.S. Something I've noticed, the "pink" or pretty guns are usually low end stuff :dunno:

I second this. I refuse to let some jack on the otherside of the counter fill my wifes head with a bunch of BS. Just because someone is behind a gun counter dosnt make them an expert. The last time I had to call a clerk out for telling people open carrying was agaisnt the law. Needles to say he lost a sell that day.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I posted this in another thread several days ago and it seems quite appropriate to repost it here:

My only experience in this category was at Gander in Castleton.

There was a young couple with a clerk (the young man proved to be a LEO) and they were shopping for her defense gun. They were looking at those ultralight J frames, INCLUDING the .357 models.

It's been my experience in recent years that there aren't nearly as many "gun culture" LEOs as there used to be, and I could see where this was going. If they bought one of those things and that sweet girl fired one shot from it she'd scream, wet her pants, drop it and be terrified of guns ever after.

Naturally I hated the idea of robbing the young clerk of a possible sale, but it was killing me. I gritted my teeth as long as I could, then stepped over and asked the clerk VERY politely if I might offer a few observations? He encouraged me to do so.

I then explained my misgivings, pointing out that yes, the models were very light but that their cost was punishing recoil that the young lady might find uncomfortable. I pointed out the wide selection of handguns available, heaping particular praise on the Walther P22 which my own wife had selected (older than me by eight years with slightly arthritic hands AND we bought it there). I also recommended they look at some of the .380 and 9mm striker-fired models, again smiling at the clerk and pointing out the vast selection.

There was no I-know-about-guns posturing from the young LEO, he seemed to be grateful for the information, and if the clerk took any offense I saw no outward signs of it.

Not the most comfortable thing I ever did, but I like to think I handled it as diplomatically as possible.

inccwchris

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Southside of Indiana
    Sometimes gun clerks do need the general public to offer a change of information, especially in the big box stores where the pressue is on to sell sell sell. I intend to do a Gun Shop Manners piece on big box stores vs the LGS in a few days that will cover that. Normally thats where you get a lot of the problem. Everything I said and every point I made assumes a competent salesman is behind the counter. When he does not know what he is talking about, every issue I have addressed goes out the window

IamLegend

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    All the way Southern Indiana
    My wife did not want no pink girly lookin gun when we were picking hers out and she wasn't shy about telling the dude behind the counter. He had grabbed a pink (can't remember) right off the bat and she said "you can put that thing away, I want the meanest, serious looking gun I can get!". Proud moment for me:)
    I most def say all the op stated would go out the window with a lot of clerks nowadays. People don't work in places where they're knowledgeable like they used to be. Just like goin into a hardware or auto parts store. Some idiot behind the counter running the register is all you seem to get. Zero knowledge of nuts n bolts or hardware in most cases. It makes me furious!!!

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Everything I said and every point I made assumes a competent salesman is behind the counter. When he does not know what he is talking about, every issue I have addressed goes out the window

Need to get that a little more upfront in your articles.

doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    My experience (when like Liberty Sanders I've stepped in to offer my thoughts) have always been good if I can place the idea of the issues of the potential selection they are making. A lightweight gun, a small gun,...they are often full of recoil and can be both painful and unpleasant to shoot. They are a compromise to size. Many times, those looking for that small gun will look to an ever so lightly heavier gun with similar size. The thought is all on "small" with the buyer, without consideration for what "small" can do to the other aspects of firearm use. Just adding those tiny bits of information can make all of the difference to many, an in the same way, help the buyer.

And, I will say, I do usually quickly peruse what the seller has on hand, so that I am not guiding them toward a firearm not available at the store. If you keep the customer in the store, buying a firearm, most store clerks today seem happy for the help.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Everything I said and every point I made assumes a competent salesman is behind the counter. When he does not know what he is talking about, every issue I have addressed goes out the window
    This is more of my experience in LGS. They're ALL "gurus." :rolleyes: Well, if you take THEIR word for it.

That's why they sell so many snubbie, hammerless, ultra-lightweight 38s with no legitimate rear sight to first time, small framed female shooters. Then they get to the range to learn the basics and get so flustered with it that they're often turned away from shooting. But they SO light and concealable!:rolleyes:

TWS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Great info! Im about to go gunshopping with my wife, for my wife. I will us your advice for sure. She is finally open to it and i dont want to make it a bad experience for her. Thanks.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    Great article. It's a good idea to at least listen to the salesman to ensure he's not spouting off a load of BS but if he's knowledgeable and doing his job right then as a guy it's time to take a step back and let the woman shop. When my wife bought her gun the salesman was polite, knowledgeable, and very competent. I felt comfortable with the situation and stayed out of it. When my wife narrowed down to two guns and asked my opinion all I said was 'it's your gun, which one feels better in your hand?'

Rizzo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Husbands get in the way of a sales person making $$$. If your wife is not a novice, let her go shop herself. But if she doesn't know guns nor their value, you better stay right there with her cause the sharks are out.

I challenge you to let your wife go to the 4 different gun stores and ask the same questions. She'll get 5 different answers. (because at least one store the two dudes behind the counter will argue with each other). What does that mean? It means the dudes behind the counters don't know what is best for your wife, girlfriend, sister or mom... or for you.

I would never make an important purchase without researching in advance and knowing the best product and price before I even went in the shop. I would narrow it down to a few choices that fit my wife, sister or mom's needs and then encourage her try each of these and see which she likes best.

It needs to be her choice and one she is comfortable with but you don't just leave her with a salesperson if she is a novice. There are things my wife knows more about (antiques) which I would never buy without her advice.

If you wife knows a lot about guns, then she can go chose her own. But if she does not there is NOTHING wrong with helping her buy one and protecting her from the 50% chance the dude behind the counter is either A) incompetent or B) focused on making a big load of $$$ off her.

Women routinely pay more for cars, homes, repairs, and other purchases. It's a statical fact. I wouldn't let my wife, sister or mom while I go off somewhere else in the shop and leave her to the mercy of a salesperson whose goal is to make $$$ and move old product not put her in the best gun for the best deal.

If your wife is very knowledgable about guns and a good price negotiator... go for it. If not you better stay with her.

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    There are some good sales people out there but under no circumstances would I trust anyone to help my wife choose a gun other than myself or my cousin unless it was Massad Ayoob or Clint and Heidi Smith ;-). I appreciate what some of the opinions that sales people have but I have even run into sales women who think since they work jn a gun shop they are the be all end all of womens firearms authority.
    I have spent far too much of my life around firearms, seeking out civilian training, receiving LEO training, going through military training(not the greatest in the world) and reading evergthing from reviews to technical manuals for firearms.
    My wife loves going to the gun shop and the knly way she would go without me would be if she were buyjng me a suprise. Even then she would go in for what she wanted or knew what I wanted and nothing else. She doesn't care for the opinions of sales people and will stand her ground when they try to sell her on something she doesnt want. This is also the reason we go to a private gun range. She knows I have been a RSO and does not trust other people. Not only that but she doesnt like others telling her what to do anymore than I do especially when we dont know what their qualifications truly are.

inccwchris

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Southside of Indiana
    Great article. It's a good idea to at least listen to the salesman to ensure he's not spouting off a load of BS but if he's knowledgeable and doing his job right then as a guy it's time to take a step back and let the woman shop. When my wife bought her gun the salesman was polite, knowledgeable, and very competent. I felt comfortable with the situation and stayed out of it. When my wife narrowed down to two guns and asked my opinion all I said was 'it's your gun, which one feels better in your hand?'

That approach is what works best in my opinion. Wait and make sure the salesman is not a snake oil man and then back off so she can make her choice. You said it better than I did.

Top Bottom