• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    After reading threads of recent gun store clerks telling Johnny Public how to behave. I thought I would start my own thread for the clerks who treat there customers poorly.

1. Loose your Superior Attitude (selling guns isn't a skilled trade your last job could have been McDonald's)

2. Greet your customers with a smile when they enter the store.

3. If your ex military thanks for your service but dont bark at customers like your still in the service. If this happens I will ignore you and I will waste your time looking at several guns only to leave you with no sale.

4. If your store is busy stop standing around telling stories and start helping the customers.

Fellow INGO members please keep the list going with your dislikes from previous experiences.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    You should be able to answer my question or get the answer from someone ASAP.

But the initial post said "selling guns isn't a skilled trade"

If you demand they know everything about every gun then I would think their last job wasn't McDonalds after all...

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    1. Loose your Superior Attitude (selling guns isn't a skilled trade your last job could have been McDonald's)

This. I had an old man at a local gun shop which will go un-named chew me out about how they are only certified to install sights on Glocks and anything else would be illegal when all I was trying to do was ask if they CARRIED a different sight, I never asked him to install anything.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    This. I had an old man at a local gun shop which will go un-named chew me out about how they are only certified to install sights on Glocks and anything else would be illegal when all I was trying to do was ask if they CARRIED a different sight, I never asked him to install anything.

There is nothing worse then a clerk who dosnt listen.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    1. ... (selling guns isn't a skilled trade your last job could have been McDonald's)

Selling may not be a "skilled trade" but "selling" is a skill. It is a skill that I've found many small businessmen/women don't seem interested in mastering...not just LGS owners.

One tidbit I'd offer to the thread: there's a vast possible market out there--you don't have to limit your friendly, helpful customer service to your buddies or regulars. That new guy may become one of your new regulars if you work on your sales skills.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Just act like the fellas at Plainfeild shooters supply and you will be good to go. I just picked up a Kahr cm9 from them this morning (3rd pistol I've bought from them since moving to indy). Great staff, the salesman didn't say anything stupid (like many gun store employees are apt to do), also gave me a deal on a spare mag. I will be buying all my weaponry from them until I leave Indy. I have also had good service from them even when the store is busy which is pretty rare for most LGS's

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    If I ask a question you don't know the answer to, don't make up a BS answer. Admit you don't know, and go find someone who does know. But don't stop 15 times on the way to BS with everbody you come in contact with along the way.

Don't give advice you were not asked to give.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Don't treat everyone like they are totally ignorant: When I ask for buckshot don't lecture me on the legality of hunting with buckshot in Indiana.
    If you don't have a product/item I am looking for, say so.
    Learn to ask leading questions in a manner that isn't condescending.
    Don't try to upsell a knowledgeable customer.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Yes dont give BS answers. If I am in the market for a new item chances are I have googled as much info as I can before stepping into a store. Sometimes I might already know the answer but I will ask anyway just to see how well you know your products.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    Here is some tips from selling Jewelry and being sales for 10 years..

1. Even if a customer has a piece of crap gun find something complimentary to say about it. We called that "romancing" the customer in jewelry. It sounds gay but it works and made me thousands of dollars.
    2. Never argue with, criticize, insult, or correct a customer
    3. Greet the customer within 15 seconds even if you are currently with a customer
    4. Never talk amongst yourself if there is a customer that may need help. Avoid inside jokes and private conversations with the customer present.
    5. Never give wrong information
    6. Become a trusted advisor
    7. Always ask for the sale
    8. Always find objections to not making the purchase (there are many reasons for this
    9. Treat a $500 customer like a $5000 customer because the $500 customer may buy ten times
    10. Always set an appointment for the customer to come back. We have----event coming up. Complete a service for a customer that requires them to come back. This creates traffic in your store which translates into sales.

Last edited:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    When I ask if you have any HiPowers in stock, don't point to a BDA and claim it's a HiPower. And don't argue with me when I tell you it's a BDA, not a HiPower. Don't tell me I must be new to guns and don't know what I'm talking about, when it's YOU that doesn't know what he's talking about.

At least know what you're selling.

When I'm standing there with $3000 cash in my pocket and I'm looking to spend most of it, don't ignore me for a half hour while you talk to your girlfriend on the phone. She isn't buying anything, or even looking at any guns. All you're doing is chasing paying customers out the door, who will likely NEVER return. You aren't the only gun store in town, you know.

Last edited:

doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    Just act like the fellas at Plainfeild shooters supply and you will be good to go.

I am glad your service was excellent there, but I can assure you that many people I know (especially as of the last year or so) have not had the same level of customer service. I went there a few months ago in search of a Ruger Mini 14. Reply was, "We don't sell those. Why the hell would you want one anyhow?" Then, I was steered towards an M&P 15 Sport, "Ahh, but we don't have one here to sell you..." all while quoting a price and telling me that I need a $200 scope. Can I put a deposit down? "Nope, we don't do that....just call in from time to time to see if we have one."

So, I told them what I wanted, they didn't have it, told me I was wrong for wanting it, steered me toward another gun that they didn't have in stock, had no idea when more would arrive, and wouldn't let me put a deposit down on one. Is that good customer service?

I drove over to Bradis, and bought one after comparing the two guns and deciding what I wanted, while being told "You really don't need to spend money on a scope until you spend some time with it and decide if you really need to spend that money." Wait, they had it on hand, told me NOT to spend money on something until I was sure I needed it, and didn't push anything at me, but rather let me know the similarities, the difference, etc. NOW THAT IS GOOD SERVICE.:rockwoot:And they support INGO! :ingo:

And, I've had several friends who have sworn off PSS for the "variable pricing" the owner seems to show to different customers. I won't go into further details, but if someone treated me like two of my LEO friends were treated in there by the owner, I would never return to that store. And, I likely never will.

One other point on PSS: notice they aren't a site supporter. I'll shop places where they support this fine forum. Without them, this place doesn't exist. PSS has taken zero interest in this place. :dunno:

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Just act like the fellas at Plainfeild shooters supply and you will be good to go. I just picked up a Kahr cm9 from them this morning (3rd pistol I've bought from them since moving to indy). Great staff, the salesman didn't say anything stupid (like many gun store employees are apt to do), also gave me a deal on a spare mag. I will be buying all my weaponry from them until I leave Indy. I have also had good service from them even when the store is busy which is pretty rare for most LGS's

I agree. Some good guys at PSS.

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    Do you work in store so that you and your buddies can hang out or do you do it to sell guns? Stop ignoring me while you shoot the sh*t with your friends.

If I want to look at that Nighthawk 1911, let me see it. You don't know if i've got $300 or $3000 in my wallet.

Don't feed me a bunch of BS. At least feel your customer out before you make a jackass of yourself.

Please stop trying to get me to believe that your used Gen 3 glock is worth $600.

What happened to haggling on used guns??? At least let me feel like I win a little.

Stop being pretentious. Just because you work in a gun store doesn't make you a god in my eyes. And it also doesn't mean you know everything, (sometimes nothing at all).

I know your busy, but at least acknowledge my presence in your shop and that you may have a paying customer.

Never tell me I won't find _____ gun cheaper anywhere else, because when I do, you just lost a lot of credibility.

Trust me, I will spend a little extra for respect and courtesy. So just because you've got a gun $10 cheaper doesn't mean anything to me.

Hopefully some of the less service-oriented shops will see this thread and get some ideas from us

Also, remember everystore can have a bad apple... or two or three or four or ....

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I am glad your service was excellent there, but I can assure you that many people I know (especially as of the last year or so) have not had the same level of customer service. I went there a few months ago in search of a Ruger Mini 14. Reply was, "We don't sell those. Why the hell would you want one anyhow?" Then, I was steered towards an M&P 15 Sport, "Ahh, but we don't have one here to sell you..." all while quoting a price and telling me that I need a $200 scope. Can I put a deposit down? "Nope, we don't do that....just call in from time to time to see if we have one."

So, I told them what I wanted, they didn't have it, told me I was wrong for wanting it, steered me toward another gun that they didn't have in stock, had no idea when more would arrive, and wouldn't let me put a deposit down on one. Is that good customer service?

I drove over to Bradis, and bought one after comparing the two guns and deciding what I wanted, while being told "You really don't need to spend money on a scope until you spend some time with it and decide if you really need to spend that money." Wait, they had it on hand, told me NOT to spend money on something until I was sure I needed it, and didn't push anything at me, but rather let me know the similarities, the difference, etc. NOW THAT IS GOOD SERVICE.:rockwoot:And they support INGO! :ingo:

And, I've had several friends who have sworn off PSS for the "variable pricing" the owner seems to show to different customers. I won't go into further details, but if someone treated me like two of my LEO friends were treated in there by the owner, I would never return to that store. And, I likely never will.

One other point on PSS: notice they aren't a site supporter. I'll shop places where they support this fine forum. Without them, this place doesn't exist. PSS has taken zero interest in this place. :dunno:

I can relate to this. I have been one of Bob's biggest supporters on here, but was very turned off on the way I was treated the last time I was in there. Now I'm not one of these guys that comes in there every day and sits around and chats with him, but I have been buying guns from him for around 12 years. In fact, I can count on one hand the number of guns I have EVER bought new from anyone but him. Always great prices and treated fairly.

I have always been told that he doesn't take deposits on guns.. Well, I was recently looking for a M&P Shield. Called several times, told they didn't have any in stock, asked if I could make a deposit, they said no. Stopped in there one day after work, and Bob told me that he had 2 or 3 coming in the following Monday or Tuesday and to check back. Well I come back the next week, I ask the guy behind the counter and he acts like he wasn't sure if they had any or not (it seemed by his reaction that he knew they did but wasn't sure if he was supposed to tell me or not). He turns to Bob and asks him if they "have any". Bob says they have don't have any, and the 2 that were on the way were spoken for. I just gave him a blank stare, which he came back with a shrug of his shoulders. They younger guy behind the counter, sensing the tension, started to give me the same line about "just keep calling" I didn't even listen to it just turned and walked out the door, haven't been back since.

I ended up getting my Shield at the new gun shop in Clermont, C&C Midwest Firearms, very professional and friendly people working in there. I'm not saying I'll never go back to PSS but I don't like being jerked around like that after being a loyal customer for so long.

Top Bottom