At what age did you buy your kid their first gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • At what age did you buy your kid their first gun?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    At what age did you buy your kid a firearm (not a bb gun type)? My little girl turns four today and I am trying to decide if now or next year is too soon.

Nothing wrong with bb/pellet guns but that is not the intent of the poll. If you would like to add that info then please feel free to post about it but do not use it as a firearm purchase.

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    My son was 10 but I had never owned a gun before he was 8 and I feared guns.

I would say that 4 or 5 is fine as long as you are ready to teach her about operating a gun safely.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I know of children who aren't even born yet who have their own rifles..

I think 4 would be okay, just keep it something small that she can shoot comfortably and you're good to go!

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    I bought my grandson his first Ruger 10/22 when he was 8. His mom was a big non gunner. Until I showed him my machineguns and he was in heaven. I took his pictures of him holding the Thompson and I thought she would faint. Now I will be taking him hunting this year for the first time. He's going to be 13 in July.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Yeah we had her holding a cricket the other day and tried to have her hold a chipmunk but the cords at Gander were all jacked up. Those cords are a pet peeve of mine, you would think that they could get one of their minimum wage stock boys to untangle those things prior to them hanging them on guns.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Not mocking them just stating it as I would bet that Gander doesn't pay much more than that. And stated that due to the fact it wouldn't cost them a lot of money to make shopping for a gun easier. By stock boys I meant one of the many teeny boppers that work at the one we go to.

knobcreeknut

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 18, 2008
    shelbyville
    bought my nephew a cricket for his first birthday. bought a savage youth for my son before he turned one. built him his first AR before he was 2. Now at 2 1/2 my son can open the bolt,check the chamber and close it on his savage.

NWI40cal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Hammond
    My buddies daughter, who is just like a niece to me, turns 4 on the 3rd of march, and I was thinking about getting her a cricket. Well, both me and her dad were. Mom said no to him, but I never said anything about it, and never got a no. (insert evil grin here) - Happy birthday Azalea!

I would say you can buy it for them no matter the age. But to use it they DO have to show a certain level of maturity, and understand exactly what firearms can do. My favorite is the water melon 12 guage/hi power rifle combo. No one can argue with an evil tango watermelon, and the kid will get it, guns CAN be dangerous if not handled properly.

Not only that, but if you do get it for her, you can dry-fire the shi+ out of it at home until they get the movements down before going to the range. (not muzzle sweeping, finger off the trigger) so on and so forth.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Chipmunk rifle FTW! Each of my daughters received a firearm for their 10th birthday. They are both involved in 4-H Shooting Sports and are now getting their friends interested in the sport.

If I had boys, I probably would have started them off sooner.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    We got our son his first .22 rifle, a Cricket, at age four. This is his first trip to the range with it.

Shooting7-17-04_0212.jpg

Shooting7-17-04_0231_1.jpg

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    4.... Picked up old but great condition marlin modle 20 for 50$ (bolt action 7shot mag) Will be a great learning rifle... slow and steady. But untill hes old enough its in the safe.

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    I am not a father, but my Grandfather went and got me a Ruger 10/22 at a local pawn shop when I was 7. I still have and shoot it.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    This is my daughter on her 5th birthday with he new Pink Cricket .22 rifle. She has been shooting with us at the range since she was about 6 months prior to this time.

picture.php

All of my kids are taught firearms safety and we do not allow toy guns or BB guns in the house to avoid any confusion between the play guns and the deadly ones.

The rest of my children are much older and own at least one firearm. My earlier post in the general section tells how my 19-year old son just shot expert in both rifles and handguns... I couldn't be more proud.

As to the proper age to begin teaching firearm fundamentals and safety... As early as possible. As to when a child should have their own firearm... As soon as they show the maturity for it... Some people may never reach this critical age.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    I bought my son his first rifle at 6 weeks old. Maybe just an excuse to buy a gun even if it is his. He has been through, NRA youth shooting sports a couple times at Redbrush, 4H shooting sports and shot Rifleman at his first Appleseed. He shot his first deer at age 10 hunting from a stand by himself, I was just over the ridge. Usually shoots in the 90s shooting trapp. I believe he is a pretty good shot and really enjoys shooting still at age 17.
    My daughter got her first rifle at age 3 she has done the same but has yet to shoot Rifleman or Riflewoman I guess. She will be attending her second Appleseed and hopefully will get the 210. She is now 13.

There are loaded guns all over our house. Teaching gun safety is a must if you have kids. I know some people that shelter their kids especially girls from guns so if they happen to come into contact with one it could be a bad time. Let them have them, let them practice gun safety, get the curiousity out of the way.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    Actually it was probably around 1 but she hasn't used anything other than the red rider I got her while she was in the womb. She is 5.5 now and has several that she will hopefully be into when she gets a little older.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I didn't see an age for my daughter. Just this year I bought her first gun. She is 29. I took her to the range for the first time when she was 8 and she has shot with me a few times since then.

Top Bottom