• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kimbercollector

Marksman
    Rating - 96.1%
    49   2   0
    Jul 7, 2011
    North East Indianapolis, IN
    Its fair to say most of us on INGO are established, both in family and profession. We all started shooting some time ago for the most part. With our age, comes youth (children)...so what will we teach our kids?

Im curious of the games you played plinking growing up? What were your favorite targets, describe where you learned to shoot and how. Will you teach your kids the same way?

I keep going back to clay pigeons...hanging them off tree limbs, throwing them from the old red plastic arm that cracked them if you didnt spread the mouth of the thrower and your older brother'd get mad at you...lol.

Id like to hear more importantly, what you have to tell your kids / grandkids about firearms and the sport.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    My kids love to shoot, although they are 25, 19 and 17. The oldest and youngest are both girls, they are easier to teach, because they listen better than boys and actually practice what I teach them.
    These days I have been considering professional self defense training, I would like my wife and kids to attend this type of training, as I think they will learn better than from Dad/Husband.
    But growing up my Dad always took my brother and me hunting, camping, and fishing. And of course we did a lot of shooting. I grew up shooting plastic bottles filled with water, and to this day I still do. To me it is much more fun than punching holes in paper, and keeps it fun.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I'm only 23 with no kids and haven't established a life long profession yet, however I am curious to know a few things about teaching kids about firearms.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    My dad taught me about safe gun handling then put a ruger MKII in my hand. Told me to hit Some water bottles. Reactive targets are always fun.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Started with safety. 1st was pellet rifle. More safety. Then gas pellet pistol. More safety.
    .22 rifle when they were ready. .22 pistol was next. Constantly teaching safety and showing them that Hollywood and reality were far from each other by example. Next step was a .380 Browning and they mastered that rapidly. Son and daughter were both shooting 1911's at 16 or so and AR platforms around that age.
    Clay pigeons are great targets. So are empty refrigerant containers.

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    My youngest daughter, who is 12, and I shot a Steel Challenge style setup for the first time this past Sunday afternoon at Fall Creek Valley Conservation Club. I was very impressed, and proud, not just because she had a string under 10 seconds, but at her poise and gun handling skills. Even the timer commented and complimented her on the way she handled her MKII in the shooters box.

That was the first time she has shot in any type of organized event. I was very happy to see that all of the saftety and target practice that we have done translated into her performance.

It was a new experience for both of us, and one we hope to repeat soon. It was a little strange hanging her scoresheet on the fridge instead of her best target though.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I'm only 23 with no kids and haven't established a life long profession yet, however I am curious to know a few things about teaching kids about firearms.

I exposed my kids to guns from the moment they were born. When I had them out cleaning them, they would "help" me clean them.
    It took all the curiosity out of it, they were not and are not interested in showing off or telling their friends about guns.
    To them they are just routine items around the house just like furniture or anything else.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I exposed my kids to guns from the moment they were born. When I had them out cleaning them, they would "help" me clean them.
    It took all the curiosity out of it, they were not and are not interested in showing off or telling their friends about guns.
    To them they are just routine items around the house just like furniture or anything else.

That's how we did it. My kids would never give a loaded pistol a second thought as it was second nature to them. We were and are still to this day extremely careful of their friends as those kids/adults had no clue about firearms at all.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    When my BIL came home from WW2 he took on the task of teaching me to shoot. He would bring a Brick of 22's and we would go to a dump site in the woods near my home (late 1940's). There we shot at cans, bottles and anything else we desired. He also taught me gun safety and squirrel and rabbit hunting. I have three (blood) sons and all 3 have LTCH's as do their wives. My Grandsons have LTCH's - all are interested and partake of the shooting sports both clay pigeons and target shooting. My sons were given a shotgun or rifle by me in their early teens and taught SAFETY first. All are responsible shooters. My youngest son (42 YO) has his lifetime hunting / fishing and is a life member of NRA - We don't miss many gun shows!!

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I teach my kids Firearm Safety above all else. I enforce the 5 safety rules (1 extra rule is more important than rule #1. For me, rule #1 = Don't touch my guns or anyone elses without asking FIRST.. then all other rules apply, this helps ensure safety at home with me and if they're at their friends' houses and their parents have guns)

I also am working on teaching my children marksmanship and intend on getting them signed up for appleseed events possibly next year. Cleaning of guns (safely, and properly) is another priority as well as WHY we can and should be armed.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I was taught and do teach safety and responsibility and safety and responsibility. We really didn't play any games with them. We hunted and practiced target shooting with the intention of improving our marksmanship.

Later in life I started shooting clays and enjoy that quite a bit, but as a child, shooting was serious business, life and death stuff.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    We have some of the NRA knockovers in stock, no swingers.
    We can always make them though!

I think the big swingers for .22s would sell like hotcakes. I am unaware if anyone is making them now.

I'd make them big for the kids for .22s and paint them your Bobcat White and you'd maybe sell some out the door at the shows? Especially around Christmas.

Just a idea. Feel free to disregard or steal it.

Remember D&D Manufacturing in Minnesota (yes, I am that old)? Used to run ads in Guns & Ammo in the late 80s/early 90s? I bought my swingers from them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When my BIL came home from WW2 he took on the task of teaching me to shoot. He would bring a Brick of 22's and we would go to a dump site in the woods near my home (late 1940's). There we shot at cans, bottles and anything else we desired. He also taught me gun safety and squirrel and rabbit hunting. I have three (blood) sons and all 3 have LTCH's as do their wives. My Grandsons have LTCH's - all are interested and partake of the shooting sports both clay pigeons and target shooting. My sons were given a shotgun or rifle by me in their early teens and taught SAFETY first. All are responsible shooters. My youngest son (42 YO) has his lifetime hunting / fishing and is a life member of NRA - We don't miss many gun shows!!

My uncles (both military) taught me to shoot. They taught me many other invaluable life's lessons as well.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Never really got into guns as a kid. Range time with dad was not that fun as he would put me on
    a bench a ways away with a few shells and a .22 I could hardly cock and a mostly ignore me.
    Took me a couple trips to figure that was his free time and I was only begrudgedly allowed
    to come..
    I was determined, when I had kids to do it different. Bought a couple. 22s they could shoot
    and took them to the range whenever I could. They showed different levels of interest
    but both hung in with me and learned to shoot. I never worried about either one ever
    shooting someone by accident.
    I would encourage anyone with kids to look into the Appleseed project. Once they're 9-11 years
    old and show some maturity, they will find it to be an interesting and excellent program.
    They will learn tried and true methods of rifle marksmanship, safety, and some history
    they probably won't get elsewhere.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I've helped teach a lot of kids. I started very early (5 years old) and I see people come to ranges to try to teach their kids all the time. My nephew knew safety rules better than TOO many adults at the age of TWO, could recite them at 3, and received his first 22/started shooting on his 4th birthday. Age is just a number. It's never too early to START a proper education.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Its fair to say most of us on INGO are established, both in family and profession. We all started shooting some time ago for the most part. With our age, comes youth (children)

What brought you to this conclusion? I ask this not expecting an answer as it seems you don't respond to the majority of threads you start after the first post.

Last edited:

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Some interesting thoughts and ideas in this thread. My two daughters are only 2 years old and 9 months old but I agree it's never too early to start an education. My father was a hunter so I grew up around guns but didn't start shooting until recently. I've often thought about how to go about teaching my kids. Some good points made here.

Top Bottom