• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I started carrying extra mags for my gun every time I am out of the house for long periods at a time like going to my folks' restaurant to help out or the other side of town to a buddy's house.

Said buddy tells me first to remember to take the spare mags out of the car and not leave them outside over night. First for safety and second because even in the glove box, the mag and the ammo is exposed to the elements. Then he said to not do it in general because of temperature extremes and that from extreme heat or cold that the mag is feeling even for a few hours and brought back inside the house can drastically affect the ammo, like condensation will wet the primers or even get into the powder.

I know technically asking the internet about something that can risk lives might not be the best idea, but I want to ask you guys.

Is it a good idea to store your spare mags in the glove box of your car during summer and during winter, the most extremes of climates? What will happen to the ammo that is subjected to hours of either extreme heat or cold and brought back inside? Will it still work?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I replace the ammo in the fall and in the spring. I just rotate it into the practice supply. I don't worry about cost, I just make more. I've never had one FTF.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    When I carry my G 19, extra mags are also carried. During the week, my 642 sits in my car while I'm at work. It and several speed loaders sit in a 'nondescript' item awaiting my return. So the short answer is no, all spare ammo comes in with me when I go in for the night.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Plastic sealable box.
    Desicant.
    Moisture now ok.
    I think you have a good idea.
    Have to be careful where you go. My job would fire me for one round in the car, in the parking lot. (MARSEC rules).

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Thanks for all the advices guys. Maybe getting an air tight box would be better something to keep the moisture out,

My buddy seems a bit too extreme about it. I know this is life or death. Murphy's Law.

Then again, this is also the same guy who actually only carries his .380 bodyguard because he thinks his Glock 29 is too big to conceal.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm sure your friend means well but concerned about stuff that he shouldn't be. I would worry more about rotating the round you chamber time and time again due to getting worn or bullet setback than storing ammo in a glovebox. You will be fine! I would just rotate it once every 6-12 months.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    How do you think those mags and ammo get to the store. Those items set in a warehouse and loaded on a truck that may go cross country and then set on dock to be picked up for delivery and then put on a dock waiting to be put on a shelf. IMO you don't have anything to worry about. And that is just the finished product not all what the componites that have to be delivered to the manufacturer.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Not really extreme enough conditions to affect much. Brass ammo and with quality mags, especially if they're polymer I wouldn't worry in the least. Left spares in the vehicles for long time and never had an issue. Used to leave a loaded BUG in there and did so for several years. Never had an issue with that either.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Early 70's I drove trucks. Picked up Federal ammo and delivered it to PD's all over the midwest. Yes some times it sat in freezing trailers for days. I don't think any LEO's noticed any "Frozen" rounds.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I don't keep any pistol mags in my car. However, I do have a loaded shotgun that rides in the trunk year round, and it has never had any problems.

eatdessertfirst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Seems to me moisture is the culprit when keeping ammo in good condition. Since generally, the RH (relative humidity) falls during the winter, I would think there would be no problem.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    I use ammo that is 30-60 years old that has been stored in a garage for 30+ years and have had no problems. The only problem i can think of is a bag of 22lr that was in a cloth bag that the bottom rounds in the bag had some nasty on them that to just chucked. They would have fired and probably cleaned up with some steal wool but why bother.

Top Bottom