• ...and so much more!
  • vtxrecruiter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    West Indy
    Tannerite: Buy or DIY (Other than me)?

Saw a thread about Tannerite and fun, and just wondered how many here make their own, and how many buy it. I am way too cheap to buy what I can make for myself.

Last edited:

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    I think you would build at your own risk of life and limb:abused::facepalm: just don't know if it would be a healthy idea, and may break several laws. Just :twocents:

vtxrecruiter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    West Indy
    I think you would build at your own risk of life and limb:abused::facepalm: just don't know if it would be a healthy idea, and may break several laws. Just :twocents:
    1. You are NOT breaking any laws to make it, just like buying it. It is JUST as legal to make it as buy it. The ATF requires that it not be stored mixed, and that it not be SOLD mixed and that it's use not be charged for (I.E. blowing up stuff on your neighbor's farm and charging).

2. It is safer making tannerite than gassing up your lawn mower.

I have made my own for about 10 years now, and not one accident or law violation, after all, how do the sellers make it and SELL it? Answer: it is sold UNMIXED.

I should have specified:
    This thread was not asking advice on if I SHOULD make it. It was my curiosity to see if anyone else out there was using the gray matter and saving money to boot. In the interest of NOT sparking MORE debate, I will not post the formula here, but a little google Fu will show you that it is easier and safer to make Tannerite than baking a cookie.

Last edited:

cj7jeep81

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    I've bought in the past, but would love a reliable recipie to make my own, and would have no concerns doing so.

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    Buying "Tannerite" is too expensive. I used 1/2lb and someone asked me "Was that worth eight dollars?" - I said "No, but maybe five..."

I would be all about making it myself, but I am not aware of a local source for the oxidizer that is any cheaper than online sources. I was able to locate an online source for oxidizer and fuel for $3.60 per pound (shipping included in that price) - if I bought 50 pounds. So I did, and split it up with two friends. It isn't quite Tannerite as it's lacking one or two expensive ingredients, but it is practically the same thing, and makes a very loud noise.

If someone could find a cheap source of oxidizer from a farm supply store, co op, or whatever, that would be the cheapest route. But I haven't found any that carry what we would need...

cj7jeep81

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    Buying "Tannerite" is too expensive. I used 1/2lb and someone asked me "Was that worth eight dollars?" - I said "No, but maybe five..."

I would be all about making it myself, but I am not aware of a local source for the oxidizer that is any cheaper than online sources. I was able to locate an online source for oxidizer and fuel for $3.60 per pound (shipping included in that price) - if I bought 50 pounds. So I did, and split it up with two friends. It isn't quite Tannerite as it's lacking one or two expensive ingredients, but it is practically the same thing, and makes a very loud noise.

If someone could find a cheap source of oxidizer from a farm supply store, co op, or whatever, that would be the cheapest route. But I haven't found any that carry what we would need...

what is it that's needed? my cousin works for a big co-op, so I might be able to find something. And is the oxidizer the white part or the gray part? If they gray, 50lbs is enough for a lifetime (or one hell of a weekend).

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Its not illegal unless you start adding shrapnel or the like, which would make it a destructive device. As long as you aren't launching stuff with it, aren't destroying things with it, and aren't sending shrapnel out with it, you're good as far as IC goes. The most relevant are:

Indiana Code 35-47.5-2

Indiana Code 35-47.5-5

Of course, local noise ordinances and the like may apply, check local listings, etc. etc.

vtxrecruiter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    West Indy
    I get my oxidizer from co-op when my brother gets 2000 lb quantity for farm use. I get my catalyst from an online scource in 5 lb cans. but I have Tons of alu...... powder at work from fine sanding A/C parts so may try that

cj7jeep81

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    so any links to a site with good instructions, or is that pushing the limits of legalities? if so, a PM would be great :)

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Be careful, Toliet boul cleaner, aluminum foil and a 2 liter soda bottle are by ATF standards a "Bomb". Home brewing explosives are not all legal.

FAIL!

Not what is under discussion here.
    Binary explosives are, until mixed, absolutely safe.
    Hit-them-with-a-hammer safe.

The difference between the infamous Drano 'bomb' and binaries are pretty readily apparent with a minimum of research.

Now, BATFE would frown upon nitrated methenamine because it is not a binary, but rather a secondary and thus a no-no.

Binaries are, until mixed, absolutely safe. Even then, only a stong concussive pressure will cause detonation.

I get my oxidizer from co-op when my brother gets 2000 lb quantity for farm use. I get my catalyst from an online scource in 5 lb cans. but I have Tons of alu...... powder at work from fine sanding A/C parts so may try that

Sourcing out the AN without having some men in black show up at the door would be the problem, as it has far more uses than binary compositions and it's very difficult to find any retailer which will sell to individuals. Don't know about co-operatives, but if they're willing to, sounds like you're golden.

How to Become a Federal Explosives Licensee

Top Bottom