• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    I have been looking and looking for somewhere in NWI or close that offers gunsmithing courses but to no avail....i keep seeing Penn Foster and Ashworth online courses....but if you read the reviews, people are not happy.

Is there anywhere around that you all know of??

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    The number of days are short. The number of hours the shops are open and that you can be working is long. Rarely left the shop before 9:30PM.

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    That's cool....but the whole point is i want to get certified....can you get certified in such a short time?

I mean you couldn't do that and then go get a job as a gunsmith.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Originally Posted by kjf40
    That's cool....but the whole point is i want to get certified....can you get certified in such a short time?

I'm not sure what the Certification amounts to, the actual term "Certified" only means that someone has printed a paper (Certificate)with your name on it. Believe it or not - I can "Certify" any one for anything. The only value a "Certification" has is the reputation of the Certificating person / organization. I ran into this as the Management Representative for QS-9000 and ISO - The international auditor informed me of this fact and said not to use the term if possible, as then the person and company had to have the paper certificate to pass the audit. It was better to just write down "trained in XXX" and maintain training records. I don't know of any State or Federal requirements for or prescribed methods of becoming "Certified". A diploma or paper showing you have passed courses at a reputable training institution (College etc.) may help you get employment or if self employed some extra business but working with a known gunsmith or studying on you own is probably as beneficial in actuality. I am sure some of the courses furnished are informative and am not trying to say they are not great - just that there are other ways to do the same thing.

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    Originally Posted by kjf40

I'm not sure what the Certification amounts to, the actual term "Certified" only means that someone has printed a paper (Certificate)with your name on it. Believe it or not - I can "Certify" any one for anything. The only value a "Certification" has is the reputation of the Certificating person / organization. I ran into this as the Management Representative for QS-9000 and ISO - The international auditor informed me of this fact and said not to use the term if possible, as then the person and company had to have the paper certificate to pass the audit. It was better to just write down "trained in XXX" and maintain training records. I don't know of any State or Federal requirements for or prescribed methods of becoming "Certified". A diploma or paper showing you have passed courses at a reputable training institution (College etc.) may help you get employment or if self employed some extra business but working with a known gunsmith or studying on you own is probably as beneficial in actuality. I am sure some of the courses furnished are informative and am not trying to say they are not great - just that there are other ways to do the same thing.

I hear ya.....but if it came to 2 people applying for the same job, i'm sure a gun store or what have you would hire someone that can produce certificates showing they completed courses over some self taught guy that claims they know how to do it.

I do understand though....i have been through some ISO training and hazmat training for work and have certificates for those, but i don't think it's going to land me a dream job....lol

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Wabash valley college in Mt. Carmel, IL. I'm in the class now. Its a really good course, that involves gun history, fixing, machining, and 1911, AR, and a bolt action builds.

Top Bottom